Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

chromeman53@yahoo.com

chromeman

built a speedway 23
car is complete
after running motor and engine is cool both rad hoses suck shut
used speedway rad. with dog bone cap
can anyone tell me how to correct this problem

Welcome from Oklahoma. Does it have a catch can for overflow? Sounds like the cap isn't lettng anything return.

Welcome from St Louis! I agree with choppedtop - radiator cap is not releasing. Try replacing it with one of correct psi for your radiator. Before buying a new one, does removing the existing cap after cool down help?

new system filled to fast , wasn't allowed to bleed air.....read about "air-locks".....take off the dcap , let it sit overnite , should take more fluid in the morning.....many othe possible causes ....try this first..

You can also park on a incline or jack the car up. So the air will escape through the cap. The cap needs to be the highest point. Run it with the cap off, let it cycle the thermostat several times and keep filling the radiator. The fluid will expand with heat so after it gets purged of air and full of coolant, you may need to add more coolant when it cools off.

The radiator neck should have a return line on it. It needs to be open, most commonly routed to an overflow container. Next the cap needs to have a check valve. This valve unseats under vacuum and the vacuum is routed to the overflow tube, hose and container. This allows any displaced coolant to return to the cooling system. Lower hoses usually have an internal support to prevent the hose from collapsing under high draw conditions, ie high rpm, radiator resistance to flow. At least you know your system is sealed up good.

I don't think that kind of radiator has a pressure cap. I know the one I got from Speedway has a solid cap with a pressure relief valve on the bottom tank going to an overflow tank. That's what I have and haven't got that far in my build yet so I can't say how it works.
Gary

Welcome from Oklahoma. Does it have a catch can for overflow? Sounds like the cap isn't lettng anything return.
thanks for reply
the cap is solid on these rad.
I think I solved the problem.
I drilled a 1/16 hole in the cap.
started motor and run up to temp.
after cool down the hoses were ok.

I don't think that kind of radiator has a pressure cap. I know the one I got from Speedway has a solid cap with a pressure relief valve on the bottom tank going to an overflow tank. That's what I have and haven't got that far in my build yet so I can't say how it works.
Gary[/QUOTE
hi gary
when I first started the motor there was no problem.
all sudden top and bottom hoses collapsed after cool down .
speedway rad .has no vent. pressure valve leaked from beginning so I changed spring inside
so I pluged it. today I drilled a 1/16 hole in the cap.
I think that solved the problem .

I'll be sure to make a note of that since I'll be running the same setup. Thanks chromeman.
gary
are you building a speedway car?
mine is done.
waiting to get it inspected then vin# then plates.
pa. weather is sucky right now.
I bought almost everything from speedway.
I planed about a year to build but only took about 3 months.

I'll be sure to make a note of that since I'll be running the same setup. Thanks chromeman.
No. I built the frame and everything but the front axle from scratch using CCR's drawings. The body and 90% of the rest came from CCR as well. The radiator is from Speedway though and a few other parts.

If your Rad has a relief valve on the bottom to the overflow tank, the over flow tank should vent to air. Maybe your relief valve is not working and by drilling the hole in the Rad cap, you may be hiding the problem and not fixing it. Just a thought.

This is from Speedway in the question and answer section, under the Speedway t-bucket radiator...

I had this radiator for some time and noticed that the radiator hoses collapse when the engine is off and has cooled down. Just curious if this is normal or if something is wrong
Asked by Tyler 2 months ago
Verified Reply - Eric That is an inherent issue with the pressure relief valve system that this radiator uses. Modern pressure caps on radiators today will allow air to enter back into the system as the engine cools. There really is no good way to keep the hose from collapsing unless you plug off the pressure relief valve and install a pressure cap. We offer an inline filler cap 91712006 that you could install in the upper hose and use a modern pressure cap which will keep the hoses from collapsing.
under the Speedway t-bucket radiator...

The perceived issue with drilling a hole in the cap is that it will allow coolant to escape and not allow the system to pressurize as the coolant expands under normal operating conditions. Just my perspective.

If your Rad has a relief valve on the bottom to the overflow tank, the over flow tank should vent to air. Maybe your relief valve is not working and by drilling the hole in the Rad cap, you may be hiding the problem and not fixing it. Just a thought.
i don't know if that is the correct thin to do !
but now i have no problem.
there has to be a way to relieve the vacume.

i don't know if that is the correct thin to do !
but now i have no problem.
there has to be a way to relieve the vacume.
It may not cause any issues, just keep an eye on the coolant level this summer when the temp is up... I drill vent holes in gas caps to allow free er fuel flow, but that’s a little different. If it does allow it to lose coolant, maybe a expansion tank would work?

I used that radiator on my first T Bucket. I solved the problem by drilling a 1/8" hole in the thermostat and switched to a hose that had a coiled wire in it. They're good radiators and the pressure relief valve does work well, so I considered the hose sucking a minor issue that was a simple fix.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back