Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

chromeman53@yahoo.com

I am running the same style of radiator. I switched from rubber hoses to stainless steel hoses when I put the new radiator on though so I have never seen any collapsing of hoses like you are talking about. Can a vaccuum created in the coolant system like that cause any other issues besides just causing the hose to collapse? Just curious since mine may be doing the same thing but I don't see it because of the style of hose I use. Tried researching it but the only symptoms I have seen are the hoses collapsing. Anybody know?

I am running the same style of radiator. I switched from rubber hoses to stainless steel hoses when I put the new radiator on though so I have never seen any collapsing of hoses like you are talking about. Can a vaccuum created in the coolant system like that’s cause any other issues besides just causing the hose to collapse? Just curious since mine may be doing the same thing but I don't see it because of the style of hose I use. Tried researching it but the only symptoms I have seen are the hoses collapsing. Anybody know?
I don’t think there’s any danger. The cooling system is designed to withstand pressure, that’s what causes the vacuum, the coolant expands when heated...the inverse happens when it cools. That’s why there are different full levels based on hot or cold. At least you now there’s no leaks. I thought most radiator hoses had wire or a spring in them to avoid collapse, at least the lower one.... I’m not familiar with the specific radiator, but it seems like they must be designed to incorporate a expansion tank or the like??? Hot rodding... whatever works.

I don’t think there’s any danger. The cooling system is designed to withstand pressure, that’s what causes the vacuum, the coolant expands when heated...the inverse happens when it cools. That’s why there are different full levels based on hot or cold. At least you now there’s no leaks. I thought most radiator hoses had wire or a spring in them to avoid collapse, at least the lower one.... I’m not familiar with the specific radiator, but it seems like they must be designed to incorporate a expansion tank or the like??? Hot rodding... whatever works.

Thanks Fletcherson. I didn't think there was too much to be concerned about but figured I would ask anyways. As long as everytime I look at my temp guage it reads normal then I am good to go. :) I guess you could remove the pressure relief valve and insert an expansion tank there if you wanted to. Not sure how it would look though. I think i'll leave mine the way it is for now. May add an electric fan in the near future but thats about it.
Chromeman53
I would be a little concerned with drilling a hole in the cap. One of the points of the sealed system is to allow pressure to build up which lowers the boiling point of the coolant. Not sure what having a hole drilled in the cap will do. Like a few guys mentioned I would buy those spring inserts for your hoses as well to keep them from collapsing, or go stainless like I did. Hope it works out for ya though!

Thanks Fletcherson. I didn't think there was too much to be concerned about but figured I would ask anyways. As long as everytime I look at my temp guage it reads normal then I am good to go. :) I guess you could remove the pressure relief valve and insert an expansion tank there if you wanted to. Not sure how it would look though. I think i'll leave mine the way it is for now. May add an electric fan in the near future but thats about it.
Chromeman53
I would be a little concerned with drilling a hole in the cap. One of the points of the sealed system is to allow pressure to build up which lowers the boiling point of the coolant. Not sure what having a hole drilled in the cap will do. Like a few guys mentioned I would buy those spring inserts for your hoses as well to keep them from collapsing, or go stainless like I did. Hope it works out for ya though!
A expansion tank could be fabbed to fit in, Ive seen in line ones, etc... your right though, not much room on a bucket, at least to look right.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back