Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Coil Spring Rear suspension

Testmule

Guys (and gals),
I'm building my first t bucket and am planning on running 5" diameter rear coil springs on the rear. I've not been able to find any info regarding what's on the Speedway site but I'm planning on building my car a lot lower to the ground. anybody have any experience building/ using coils? I know that there are several lengths and rates of coils available, I believe a little bit of history goes a long way though. I'd rather not do this twice if you know what you mean. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you use coilovers? Much simpler and cleaner looking in my opinion.

Jim

I've never built a car with 5" coils. I could probably get one of our suppliers to give me coil overs. Thought it would be nice to try something different. I can get an 8 1/2" 100 lb. spring from AFCO for a little over $50. If someone could supply me with approximate front & rear weights I could just do the math. Besides, a 5" spring will last a lot longer than a 2 1/2" spring.

I've never built a car with 5" coils. I could probably get one of our suppliers to give me coil overs. Thought it would be nice to try something different. I can get an 8 1/2" 100 lb. spring from AFCO for a little over $50. If someone could supply me with approximate front & rear weights I could just do the math. Besides, a 5" spring will last a lot longer than a 2 1/2" spring.

My car was weighed in on NASCAR type scales. By that I mean they can tell you the total weight along with the front and rear weight, each corner weight and diagonal weight. That being said, my car weighed a total 1937 lbs. with the front being 935 lbs. and the rear weighing 1002 lbs.

Jim

If you are going to use 5"springs you may as well go for a modified theme with weight jack pockets and wide 5 wheels and safety hubs. Maybe even a modified style body like a Victoria body from Speedway. How about a big wing on top! Now I'm getting excited!

Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I have rate calculators, the front & rear weights help a lot. I like the idea of the spring jacks, that will be a bonus with ride height adjustments. My whole thought was if anyone had done this and run into anything that they'd done different, that would be nice to know. My thoughts on this whole project are if you don't pay attention to history it tends to repeat itself.

Scott Leber at Scott Rods is building me a 6" stretch body. I'm going to build a 40" aluminum bed. my plans are to build a car with a 6" to 8" ride height. I will post pictures of my progress.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back