Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Completeing the "T" experience.

Hackerbilt

Have some time today, but can't leave the house.
I'm about to become a Granddad and I'm house/pet/people sitting till things get back to normal...whatever that is! LoL

Figured I would just say something about my time with my T.

I made an unselfish decision to sell or trade it a couple of months ago...mainly to get some family car time on the go. It's been gone almost a month.
My wife was never really into the T and having 2 kids to try to fit into my plans as well...well it just didn't work at all.

I've always been a bit of a different sort.
I like cars that don't follow a set direction. I'll never be mistaken for a "brand loyal" sort of guy. Even when I was into more normal cars they were different.
Engine swaps...body mods...homebuilt suspensions...etc.
Oddball to the core by most standards I guess.
I revelled in it!
I think thats why the T seemed to fit me so well.

The T.
A friend owned it and I liked it.
We drove it LONG distance twice and I was hooked. Ended up trading a long time DESIRABLE project to get it (32 Ford 5 window) and didn't look back.
I made it mine with a long list of subtle, and not so subtle changes over 4 years. Drives and stops great...looks cool and fit me to a...T! LoL

Now its gone.
Replaced with a 73 Ventura with family history, that fits 4...but I'm not sure I'm one of them.
I'm fixing things and will have a really good car once its finished. But...I'm just fixing things.
Seems like there will be none of ME in it but work and sweat!
It doesn't mirror my personality like the T did.
Doesn't have that viseral rawness that I feel I had in the T. The T just oozed attitude and...well I don't really need to explain it to you guys I guess!
I've never missed a car in my life really.
Yet my feelings now, 3 weeks after the fact, are still unsettled.

I like the Ventura, make no mistake.
I like the feeling it has when you're sitting inside it. The small glass area and tight cabin give it an aggressive feel. I know why the Nova etc has a following.
I can be comfortable in it...and have some sensible cruising with family in stiff winds and cool temps...both of which we have a LOT of. LoL

Yet something gnaws at my soul.

I have 2 other large projects as well unfortunately. I wish I didn't.
I may whittle it down to one that has been a long time keeper for me.
My daughter wants that one anyway, so its spoken for at the end.
The other is only money and time lost. Maybe I don't want to spend more money and time on that one. Time (LoL) will tell.

I have this undenyable urge to start building a new project anyway. Maybe.

Ever notice the word addiction has a T in it?
I think I know why...

Thoughts on all this? Figured it might (or might not I suppose!) make a good discussion

I had a Ventura. Loved it. Mine had a lot of my touch in it... I bought it with a rusted out sub frame and a blown up v6 automatic. I built a new sub frame for it with a 455 tri power and a Muncie 4 speed and put a fresh coat of paint on it. It was a very fast and fun car to drive, for a daily driver. I miss it. Sorry about your T.

"For a daily driver" That sums it up.
Guess thats whats its back to...for now anyway.
My Bro in law started building the car and my late Father in law rebuilt the engine. Im gonna give bro the engine (454) and build a 350.
I was sitting in a few cars lately. Trying them on for size and the Ventura made sense. I was in a Corvair as well and love the look outside but it felt like a big empty shell to sit in! I would have cut it up anyway so Im better off clear of it. LOL Maybe I will feel different once I start driving the Ventura...but I feel like I sold out somehow! I think the Ventura will be a temporary thing.
I'm beginning to think that Hot Rods in general and T's in particular are like a bike to a biker.
You don't shake the addiction easily.

I doubt my wife realizes just how big of a leap I made to encourage my family to enjoy the car life!!! LoL

Well, Hackerbuilt, life happens. We all face similar forks in the road, and just be thankful for your "T experience." We're still honored to have your presence on this board, and look forward to updates on the Ventura, or other project(s).

PS - If memory serves, you bought Fitzee's car, am I right? How's he doing?

Fitzee2.jpg

My Bro in law started building the car and my late Father in law rebuilt the engine. Im gonna give bro the engine (454) and build a 350.
I was sitting in a few cars lately. Trying them on for size and the Ventura made sense. I was in a Corvair as well and love the look outside but it felt like a big empty shell to sit in! I would have cut it up anyway so Im better off clear of it. LOL Maybe I will feel different once I start driving the Ventura...but I feel like I sold out somehow! I think the Ventura will be a temporary thing.
I'm beginning to think that Hot Rods in general and T's in particular are like a bike to a biker.

I doubt my wife realizes just how big of a leap I made to encourage my family to enjoy the car life!!! LoL
I totally get the sacrifice thing. When my wife became pregnant with my son in 93, I was in my prime. I had a full service shop, was building hot rods for guys, basic mechanic work, body work, had a small construction company, guys around all the time or available, etc.. nothing wild or out of hand, but there were usually a few guys hanging around the shop drinking beer, watching, or helping work on stuff... In an attempt to create a more traditional family friendly environment, I phased out much of the shop work, accepted a position working for a ftiends commercial construction company to obtain benefits and a more stable schedule, sold off many projects, parts, etc... I now seriously regret most of it. You just don’t get to make those connections twice in one lifetime, and I’m not sure it made any real impact on my son... oh well, it’s only life.

Yup...Fitzees old car. Some guy originally built it as a show car in Nova Scotia and a local guy bought it and shipped it here. He was killed in a bike accident in Australia of all places and Fitzee ended up with it. He rebuilt it into a road car and drove the wheels off it! Then Glenn had it...traded it to me and now a great guy named Randy has her! Shes a "get around girl" that old T! LoL I bet he finds this site soon and hopefully fits right in. I bet he will...

Thats me in the passenger seat in Spankys picture. That was our first trip to the Atlantic Nationals. 1500 miles I think? Something like that. Fitz is doin' great! Has a nice shop.... building cars steadily. Hes a good friend and a great guy to hang with!

Hacker, I feel your pain. I built my bucket 25 years ago and have been rebuilding it since. I have other cars, but the bucket is me. I know every piece in it and every quirk of it's behavior. I've sweated and bled and spent thousands of hours in the garage. I quit counting the $$$ years ago; any ninny can buy a Corvette or Jag, but no one has a bucket like mine. And the satisfaction of that is priceless.

I saw my first T in 1967. I was 16 cruising the down town when this T bucket pulled up next to my dads car. It was love at first sight. Always wanted a T from that time on. Just couldn't swing it. Graduated high school and went to work in a factory. My first car was a 59 Rambler wagon. Before I knew it I had a new job and was getting married. Then the children started showing up. Not sure how that happened. I never forgot about the T bucket. After many years I was able to start putting money aside and just before I retired I had enough to bill my T. Never say never and never give up on a dream. I was 63 when I started ordering parts and two years later I took my first ride in a T bucket, my T bucket. Awesome.

Getting rid of the rubber body to sub frame mounts and adding frame rail connectors really improved the cars overall handling for me and made it much stronger. Back then most of the bone yard cars had issues where the hole in the sub frames and the body mounts were rusted out and over sized due to those rubber mounts holding moisture... simple fix, but invasive... just a FYI, something to check. Without frame ties, if those body mounts are crusty, alignment can vary... I also had issues with the brakes being too small for hi speed stopping. Had to upgrade, but bone yard upgrades were pleantiful. I have thought about building another one, but I have more projects than time or energy already...

I saw my first T in 1967. I was 16 cruising the down town when this T bucket pulled up next to my dads car. It was love at first sight. Always wanted a T from that time on. Just couldn't swing it. Graduated high school and went to work in a factory. My first car was a 59 Rambler wagon. Before I knew it I had a new job and was getting married. Then the children started showing up. Not sure how that happened. I never forgot about the T bucket. After many years I was able to start putting money aside and just before I retired I had enough to bill my T. Never say never and never give up on a dream. I was 63 when I started ordering parts and two years later I took my first ride in a T bucket, my T bucket. Awesome.

Rubicon....thats friggin' fantastic to read!
VERY glad for you getting that dream done and on the road.
Theres nothing out there to take the place of a T. It's just a whole different feeling.

Getting rid of the rubber body to sub frame mounts and adding frame rail connectors really improved the cars overall handling for me and made it much stronger. Back then most of the bone yard cars had issues where the hole in the sub frames and the body mounts were rusted out and over sized due to those rubber mounts holding moisture... simple fix, but invasive... just a FYI, something to check. Without frame ties, if those body mounts are crusty, alignment can vary... I also had issues with the brakes being too small for hi speed stopping. Had to upgrade, but bone yard upgrades were pleantiful. I have thought about building another one, but I have more projects than time or energy already...

For sure. This one was stripped to the bare shell and the subframe holes were all repaired at the time and remounted with urethane mounts. Bro in law took great pains to do things right as he intended to keep the car.

Brakes are interesting.
A previous owner actually put S10 spindles on it. Backwards!!!!
Didn't work well. LoL

Since then someone put drum brakes and spindles back on it so i get to do that stuff myself.
I'd like to run the big brakes from a late Camaro as I can make it all fit myself, but most likely will just buy the brackets from Speedway to use regular Nova/Chevelle discs. Need BIG rims for the Late model Camaro stuff.
I'm gonna go with 15" Rally wheels and sell the TT 2's there now.
The 17" size just doesn't do it for me...and a friend who uses the same wheels actually changes them to a set of 15" ers when we go to the Nationals. Finds his BB 68 Camaro too twitchy with the low profiles.
No comfort to drive on the highway.

I do have some work cut out for me...
What is it with Hot Rodders? We can't leave anything alone. Hahaha

Okay, Hacker, here's my story. I came of age on an Army base my dad was stationed. It was the late 60's, when I got into cars. I'd help my dad with oil changes and tune ups on a 66' Nova wagon he had. The G.I.'s on the base from 'Nam were buying muscle cars (before they had that moniker). So, my friends and I grew up seeing BB Chevys, Mustangs and Mopars cruising around. That's what I saw and they left an impression.

Fast forward to 1972. On the base, there was a craft center I'd hang out at. One day I came in telling a story about some car I'd seen and one of the guys had an issue of Hot Rod magazine. He said, "Check this out." It was an ad for Mother's polish. The ad had an old lady standing next to a purple T Bucket. Thing is, at that time, I had no idea what kind of car that was. Hell, I didn't even know what a Hot Rod was! But that T Bucket, with that big assed, chromed out engine, grabbed me by the ears and eye's. Shortly after, I begged my dad for a subscription to Hot Rod magazine. Then, in that same summer, "American Graffiti" came out. At that point, I was hooked on old cars. But that damn T Bucket haunted me. It talked to me.

Years passed, my dad retired and our family moved to Houston. I took auto shop in high school and absorbed all I could. By that time, 1974, "muscle cars" were being dumped by their owners. OPEC and the oil embargo was in full swing. So, all the "muscle cars" were being dumped. I remember ads for '67 Camaros going for $600! So, when I graduated from high school, I ended up with old, used muscle cars as something to play with and when I was done, I'd sell them. But that damn T Bucket was STILL in my mind.

Really fast forward to my time in the Navy and my departure. A Hot Rod was what I wanted, but in the magazines, they were chromed out dream machines. I figured I'd never have one. the dream of a T Bucket faded. Then, one day, I called my brother to tell him about the latest issue of Hot Rod magazine and he cut me off and said, "If you'd stop spending your money on magazines, you'd have a Hot Rod"!" I took it as a challenge and started building my first. Soon after I started, I found this web site. I was here when there were only 4 members.

I drove the hell out of that thing! Chronicled my exploits on these pages and was in hog heaven. But in 2015, I got bored with it. I'd come up with all kind of excuses NOT to drive her. When the new owner finished loading her on his trailer, he asked my girl what I was going to do. Without blinking an eye she said, "He'll just build another one." And that's where I'm at now. Using what I learned on the first one and making this one better.

If you compare a T Bucket to ANY other car, it honestly doesn't make sense why someone would have one. They're barely big enough for two people to ride in comfort. Most are WAY over powered. Basically, they're probably the most un-practical Hot Rod... EVER. They're not for everyone. Maybe that's why so many get sold after they're finished. But for the folks who hang in, it's the secret behind the smile we have when we cruise around.

So, have fun with your Ventura. I'm sure you'll do a sweet job on her. But when you decide to step back into this "sickness".... we'll welcome you with open arms. It'll be like you never left and deep inside... you never will. :)

P.S. When I used to go to local "hang out's" and shows, I was the ONLY one with a T Bucket. And I kinda liked it that way.;)

As far as my present build goes, my friend scored me a gennie 327 intake and is getting ready to put the engine together. He also scored a 350Th trans for me. So, right now.... I'm in a good place. Next year is going to be a mutha!:)

Last edited:
If you compare a T Bucket to ANY other car, it honestly doesn't make sense why someone would have one. They're barely big enough for two people to ride in comfort. Most are WAY over powered. Basically, they're probably the most un-practical Hot Rod... EVER. They're not for everyone. Maybe that's why so many get sold after they're finished. But for the folks who hang in, it's the secret behind the smile we have when we cruise around.

So, have fun with your Ventura. I'm sure you'll do a sweet job on her. But when you decide to step back into this "sickness".... we'll welcome you with open arms. It'll be like you never left and deep inside... you never will. :)

Buddy, I tell ya...you summed it up good!

I got my start around the same time as you by the sound of it.
Found some very early 60's Hot Rod mags and fell in love with T's.
Father was the manager of the biggest Mopar dealership in the province so i grew up playing in 440 Chargers and BB Superbees...and used to get rides to school in a 340 Demon 4 spd.
I ended up with a 32 5 window project but didn't do anything with it. Built a lot of subcompact cars with SBC power. Finally ended up trading the 32 for the T and smiled every time I drove it. More than anything else I ever owned!
I seriously miss it...and have a lot of parts to build another T. Oh my...
This Ventura will get me by and give me some family time.
It's a good thing in that way.

i'm already planning a new build, in my head for now, that will take care of my biggest issues with the T. LoL

I have several other projects in various states that I actually had before the T and backburnered. May have to clear house...and head a little bit.
We make ourselves too busy sometimes.

:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back