Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

compressor size for painting

We used to go to the Canfield fair to watch the horse pulling. Best fair in the country!
I lived about three miles from the fair grounds. As a matter of fact, the old Hot Rod Nationals that were sponsored by Hot Rod Magazine, were held there.

Jim

I like living in Wisconsin. Fall is my favorite month wish it was longer. Snow does'nt bother me. Below zero, yuck. Hot and humid is the worst for me. I sweat like crazy.

I like living in Wisconsin. Fall is my favorite month wish it was longer. Snow does'nt bother me. Below zero, yuck. Hot and humid is the worst for me. I sweat like crazy.
I get most of my projects done in the fall, early winter. Seems like all I do in the summer is mow, fix air conditioners on my rentals, and fix mowers, lol... I do have ac in my shop. I really hate it here after December through April. If I plan a project like an inside remodel or a shop project and stay busy, I'm ok. If not, I just sit and hate life. I have some severe residual injuries too, so the misery factor plays a big part as I age.

Cheaper compressors run faster to pump air so they build heat...and that results in condensation in the cool tank.
To combat that I used to have an additional 80g tank under my bench.
The cheap 60g I had would pump air into the 80g and a vertical line from that held my regulator and water separator.
Used to get a lot of water in the first tank, a small bit in the second and hardly any in the separator.
Also, I could turn the compressor off while painting most things so overspray on the filters and windings was never a problem.
I hardly paint at home anymore so the second tank went away and I now find that the separator must be drained a LOT...not to mention the compressor tank itself. Kinda sorry I decided to junk that second tank for that bit of room I gained.

Cheap compressors are a pain in the butt but they will work fine if you just keep them drained and are aware of their nasty ways. LoL
The big, slow running Professional models are like night and day in quality air but they are also night and day in price!

Get the best you can afford...plumb it properly with a good tube run before you pull air. Sticking a regulator off the side of the tank is definately NOT the way to do it.

Hackerbuilt - What is the way to go for the regulator?

Thanks,

I used this DeVilbiss 130525 air filter, dryer and regulator. All my piping was copper
which helps cool the air and help the moisture to condense so you can drain it from the
line before it gets to the paint gun.

All the moisture I get out of the system comes from the tank and the Franzinator on the
right side of the tank. Never has gotten a drop from any other drain.

P07_Filter_4087.jpg
P04_TemperatureData02_4050.jpg
P07_WestWall_4081.jpg

Sorry for cutting in Hackerbilt, just wasn't sure when you would be back since it's
the holidays.

Last edited:
LoL...no problem Indycars!
rbsWELDER....You can Google "compressor line plumbing" and get lots of diagrams, inc ones from the compressor manufacturers themselves, to guide you to a simple and workable setup.

We used plastic line in my old shop and it burst. It was rated for 600 psi and we only had 175 psi max. It lasted for a long time and was ok after the burst section was replaced, but I personally won't use it for air again. I have soft copper now and it works well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back