Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Converting a 9" Ford to disc brake

dodgewade

Looking to do this without buying a costly kit. I know brakes is nothing to "cheap out" on, but I not wanting cheap, just want to do it from parts I can pick up.

Looking for a deep offset rotor that will put the caliper closer to the center.

Thanks for any information.

Looking to do this without buying a costly kit. I know brakes is nothing to "cheap out" on, but I not wanting cheap, just want to do it from parts I can pick up.

Looking for a deep offset rotor that will put the caliper closer to the center.

Thanks for any information.

Look for a 9" out of a Lincoln , mid 80s.

Summit has a pretty nice OEM looking kit that includes the hats in the rotors for the e-brake.

Check the Speedway catalog. In their race section, they have brackets for metric and non-metric calipers that weld onto the rearend housing.

The metrics will take the mid 80's GM rear calipers with parking brakes built in. They have the calipers too.

They also have rotors that bolt together. The center section of the rotor is seperate from the rotor itself. I think they're available in various offsets.

Trouble is, if you buy all this stuff new (with hoses and other hardware), you'll have almost as much in the conversion as if you bought a kit.

I have a Ford Explorer rear kit from Currie on my 46. It fits the large Torino type bearings and works great.

Mike

You might try this website for information on donor vehilces http://www.hemmings...._feature20.html. I converted my Ford 8 in using Lincoln rotors and GM metric calipers. This setup does not have a parking brake but I am looking into a pinion mount for it. The only part I had to have made was the mounting bracket. [attachment=3949:spring.JPG]

This is what I'm talking about. I have a 85 Lincoln MVII (Versalitie) that i took the rotors off this afternoon. Did you happen to make a pattern for the caliper bracket?

Thanks for the link too.

This is what I'm talking about. I have a 85 Lincoln MVII (Versalitie) that i took the rotors off this afternoon. Did you happen to make a pattern for the caliper bracket?

Thanks for the link too.

Yes I have a drawing of the bracket. Let me know what format you need in.

Yes I have a drawing of the bracket. Let me know what format you need in.
I'd like a copy also if you dont mind.PDF is fine but i can open most anything.I was born and raised in Toledo and still have a ton of family there.Where exactly are you i was from the Rogers High school area(Reynolds Corners)and Whitmer areas.

PDF would be fine.

Here is the drawing . Please note that the clearance for the caliper is undersize. The actual number is 3.76 I tought it would be better to make it that way and then file to fit. You will also have to add a spacer between the axle flange and the bearing retainer to make up for removal of the backing plate. Also the bracket will need to be spaced from the axle flange to center the rotor in the caliper.

Attachments

• plasma pattern.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 46
Here is the drawing . Please note that the clearance for the caliper is undersize. The actual number is 3.76 I tought it would be better to make it that way and then file to fit. You will also have to add a spacer between the axle flange and the bearing retainer to make up for removal of the backing plate. Also the bracket will need to be spaced from the axle flange to center the rotor in the caliper.

Thanks, i really appreciate the pattern.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back