Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Corvair Box Overkill

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
Well at the end of the summer my Box blew out cause when i reversed it several years ago i didn't lube it,rust got to it and boom instant death trap.Well being a machinest i got my boss to order my bearings Timken taper like your wheel bearings no more ball bearings.Probably over kill but for the money it worked out cool and smoooth as silk.

CorvairOverkill.jpg

I'm glad you got that done, Rick and it sounds like you got yourself a first class unit now.

I have looked at doing that, as I rebuild a lot of boxes. How did you machine the housing for the bearing race? There just is not much metal in there to work with. The shaft and the cap are no problem. Just wondering how you did that housing.

RPM said:
I have looked at doing that, as I rebuild a lot of boxes. How did you machine the housing for the bearing race? There just is not much metal in there to work with. The shaft and the cap are no problem. Just wondering how you did that housing.
I'll send the dimentions and the process later.Also the part numbers for the bearings

RPM said:
You have to turn the end of the shaft down at the bottom a bit to fit the bearing and make an adaptor ring to adapt the bearing no machining there.
The bottom bearing is.A-2047.
The top bearing is.L-21549.
The top race is .L-21511.
Good luck it is a pain in the a## but oh so smooth.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back