Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Corvair Pitman arm alternatives

Based on pictures, I am pretty confident I have a corvair steering box. Throughout the build, it appears the splines in the pitman arm has been worn down. Now I need a new Pitman arm.

I just bought a 68-72 chevy pickup pitman arm thinking it would fit. after checking the mail I realized that the main hole is about 1 1/8" in diameter where I need something around 7/8"

Will any other pitman arms fit from other vehicles so I can save money and have other options. Im most concerned about the splines matching. Length can be adjusted.

Thanks!

The shaft seems to be in good shape. I must of not tightened the pitman arm all the way when mocking up and after a month or to, moved it around not realizing it was loose. Maybe the shaft is a hardened steel whereas the arm is not. But the arm is almost smooth and the shaft appears untouched.

If you can post a pic i bet we can tell you for sure sir. Also i got some pics of my reverse corvair in my build thread for reference. Here is 3 sides of mine.....
26-jpg.8480

25-jpg.8469
26-jpg.8470

Joe- Thanks a lot for the pics. I will try to get some on here of mine. However it looks VERY similar to yours. The only difference is mine does not have the extra strength ribs on the side of the main body as yours does. Just one on top like yours. Also my pitman arm does not have the ball joint/ socket. Just a hole. Other than that its a match.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back