Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Custom Interior

Fordsbyjay: Again NOT sewn in pleats. It just seems not very sturdy to me.??
I had some of the sealed pleats on a boat for a few years,it held up well for were it was,but was under cover when not used,other then the looks of sealed vs sewed,I think it works well. There is one site I found that seems to say they can sell ya sewed;

http://www.rodinteriors.com/
There must be others as well.
I been just trying to do some myself so far.
Can't seem to fig out any EZ way to sew rounded corners of inserted panel on seat,vs a sq. corner is EZ. Like rolled pleat in mid with boarder all around and then boxing outside of that boarder.

I had some of the sealed pleats on a boat for a few years,it held up well for were it was,but was under cover when not used,other then the looks of sealed vs sewed,I think it works well. There is one site I found that seems to say they can sell ya sewed;

http://www.rodinteriors.com/
There must be others as well.
I been just trying to do some myself so far.
Can't seem to fig out any EZ way to sew rounded corners of inserted panel on seat,vs a sq. corner is EZ. Like rolled pleat in mid with boarder all around and then boxing outside of that boarder.

You do this by cutting reliefs in the material going around the bend, that and I walk the machine through the turn by hand. I am not good enough to speed on through.

Hit up youtube and look through the videos posted on upholstery work, I learned a bunch on there. I also bought a couple books on the subject and followed along the "learning' sections of the books.

Very cool. I started making patterns yesterday. Currently I have the vinyl cut and glued to the sew foam. Tomorrow I will start piecing things together.
Keeper,
Sounds like your coming along faster than my son and I. I do now have all the woodwork done and trying to fine the right foam to get feel he likes when setting on it.
My drawing came about ;After talking for some time and looking at a lot of t-bucket photos with him,I was able to make that custom drawing what he wanted so it was there to look at vs the picture in his head not matching the one in my head exactly,I think that helps a lot.
We also talked about stitching seams ect. and then I sewed some small parts of vinyl together with the types talked about for him to see. That ended up that he liked top-stitch and not piping so it would be smoother to set on//I liked that,it's EZer anyway to do,yet still looks good.
The plywood is done in a way that lets us have storage behind the rear of seat and also some just under forward part of bottom,both lift out,the also has Bat. and brake master under it with hatchs.

Keeper,
Sounds like your coming along faster than my son and I. I do now have all the woodwork done and trying to fine the right foam to get feel he likes when setting on it.
My drawing came about ;After talking for some time and looking at a lot of t-bucket photos with him,I was able to make that custom drawing what he wanted so it was there to look at vs the picture in his head not matching the one in my head exactly,I think that helps a lot.
We also talked about stitching seams ect. and then I sewed some small parts of vinyl together with the types talked about for him to see. That ended up that he liked top-stitch and not piping so it would be smoother to set on//I liked that,it's EZer anyway to do,yet still looks good.
The plywood is done in a way that lets us have storage behind the rear of seat and also some just under forward part of bottom,both lift out,the also has Bat. and brake master under it with hatchs.

If you look in here, it shows how I built my seats.

http://www.tbucketeers.com/topic/5850-keepers-build/page__st__220

Keeper,that looks like a great job on that seat set up you did,I have no idea how I missed that post,but super.
I'm done already and did it a little dif,should end kind of same way.I'll try to get my sons photos and post then of how I did as well.

I been really feed up with speed on the Columlia 440-2 even after all my mod's. So been draging feet about getting started on sewing anything actuly for the hotrod and just practicing sewing with not very good ends up till now. Every one tells me it takes time,but I pick stuff up very fast when I try things and know if it's taking me too long.
So going by a local yard sale the other day I picked up for $5; old 1970's Kenmore 158-14101 zig zag in a case but not running and only some parts,only a strait foot ,nothing other then that,no zig zag,no piping or other types/ some parts to find I guess
Just to see I blow the $5 on it,after all it turns out pritty good,I cleaned for a few hr.s ,oiled,fixed foot speedpedal and this thing sews great = dose 4 layers of vinyl like it was one and vary good speedcontrol ,I can go around corners just fine now.
I never thought to even try what looks like a housewife looking sewing machine would do the job on vinyl,maybe most will not,but this old one has 1.2 watt motor vs many types have 1 watt or less. Guess I'll be trying to fine some feet for it,like 1/8in. or 3/16in.piper and a zig zag foot seems tobe only things I may need

I did an interior in a '57 chevy once with a $7 New Home. It worked fine after I found out you need to lengthen the stich spacing. The first seam I tried tore like it was perfferated.

Ron

Been having bad stitching show up on my testing runs,like uneven spacing ect.;
Found the big trick now to sewing 1/2in foam pad and vinyl for rolls and pleats or any other padded puff design,with a sewing machine that dose not have walking foot,but only dog pull in it's table. You must use foam that has a backing glued to it,so the dogs can pull right.

Been having bad stitching show up on my testing runs,like uneven spacing ect.;
Found the big trick now to sewing 1/2in foam pad and vinyl for rolls and pleats or any other padded puff design,with a sewing machine that dose not have walking foot,but only dog pull in it's table. You must use foam that has a backing glued to it,so the dogs can pull right.

Oh yeah I can see the foam sticking to the table. I had read something about using silicon lube to make the foam slippery. But if you can find the "sew foam" or "scrim backed foam" it should make things easier.

You can also glue "low thread count" muslin to the foam.

Ron

You can also glue "low thread count" muslin to the foam.

Ron
I bought yards and yards of "Pleating Foam"from the trim shop here and it was almost like it was free.I cant remember how much a yard but it wasn't over $5.00.But a yard is 48" wide and 36"long.It has the cloth backing already on it.Check with an auto trim shop and ask them.

Thanks,yes I'm going to go get some of that scrim backed and some kind of spray glue like 3m super 77 too, to put the vinyl on top of other side with. This will make it all pull the sewing through together on this old Kenmore home job. Having fun,and learning as I go from you all plus misstakes,kind of starting off from nothing but seeing done.
Well the old little warout bobben winder tire just broke,so time for a new one,bet i'll have better winding with a new one.

Thanks,yes I'm going to go get some of that scrim backed and some kind of spray glue like 3m super 77 too, to put the vinyl on top of other side with. This will make it all pull the sewing through together on this old Kenmore home job. Having fun,and learning as I go from you all plus misstakes,kind of starting off from nothing but seeing done.
Well the old little warout bobben winder tire just broke,so time for a new one,bet i'll have better winding with a new one.
I dont think glueing the fabric to the foam is such a good idea.No matter how dry it is it will move on you.You want the pleats to be flexable.But to each his own.jmho

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back