Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Custom Interior

Had to go do stuff,so didn't add much info to above post.
This playing above post #40 is from my Kenmore with 2 or more layers of vinyl plus foam and backing in some cases;
Here are a few of my fun and games trying to do ideas and stitchs .
Anyway these show testing of ideas and finding out what can and can't be done with my slow growing skill?.
I used black thread on btm and white on top just to see better on some.
Trying to get control of stitchs learning to steer the sewing too. Getting better but need more practice and now getting some better stuff to work with.
Little panel center bottom is a few stitch that the old Kenmore can also do,that you never see on car seats ,some just can't be done on big panels normuly cus the feed dogs need to go backward as well as forward and big panels are to much for feed dog to move both ways making the tricky stitch go bad I found out.=more testing needed,maybe I can get it to do big parts,cus I like the idea of doing something you never see anyway..

I was told by a pro there's no way you can ever do auto upholstery on housewife Kenmore type macheine,well that's like a little dare![Dare can = time and a few $ gone or I win and can make something that works for me} Hay What dose he know,he only makes a living at that.
All this playing around with the old Kenmore now;
I did get some 1/2in. sewfoam that has the backing already glued to it and been playing. Plus I Glued w/3M 77 the vinyl on top for game time time;
Trying to work out things I can and cant do really with this set up.
Been having some probs with layered vinyl/1/2in.foam/vinyl/1/2in.foam going together and thread screwing up bad on these test runs,so found it happen when feed dog[pulling] don't get a grip. Yes I know thats a lot of stuff trying to sew at one pass ,but;
I found about something, turns out they made a deal for that called a "Walking Foot" for a Kenmore so I'm off to find one of them,there only about $15 on Egay so that's wroth a try anyway,off to the loco sew store,plus I broke my new ZZ foot$3.95 by trying to mod it to better hold above feed dogs,little SOB didn't like bending with visegrips,so I'll get another one too.
Next adventuor in sew land coming up?

Well I found I got to hold the two threads when starting out,it helps keep them to start sewing better.
My son got some aready pleated[sealed pleating] for me to work with,he like it's looks. So i tryed to sew that into some vinyl and no it don't feed right,the bottom of pleating is too soft for the sewing machines feet[dogs] to grab and walk with,making stitch screw up bad.
If i turn it all up side down,it sews OK,but I can't see were Im sewing then,crap.
If I can put something on the backside of pleating that can be grabed by dogs well it may work. Any ideas? other then adding vinyl to back as well!

Well I found I got to hold the two threads when starting out,it helps keep them to start sewing better.
My son got some aready pleated[sealed pleating] for me to work with,he like it's looks. So i tryed to sew that into some vinyl and no it don't feed right,the bottom of pleating is too soft for the sewing machines feet[dogs] to grab and walk with,making stitch screw up bad.
If i turn it all up side down,it sews OK,but I can't see were Im sewing then,crap.
If I can put something on the backside of pleating that can be grabed by dogs well it may work. Any ideas? other then adding vinyl to back as well!
Sorry to say when my guy did my side panels and seat he did it all upside down cause he can follow the pleats better and like you the machine dosn't want to sew right when the foam is on the bottom.I guess it's a matter of practice,practice,practice.

Sorry to say when my guy did my side panels and seat he did it all upside down cause he can follow the pleats better and like you the machine dosn't want to sew right when the foam is on the bottom.I guess it's a matter of practice,practice,practice.
Yuuup,practice for sure is part of it,but only sq. corners seem to be pos up side down vs round is another matter[been looking but there seems to be no info about that on WWW,I don't have that figured out at all yet. Ideas?anyone

[media]

There is a video of a commercial machine with walking foot. Looks like walking foot is the way to go. Here is a long discussion where guys have figured out to sew with a regular machine though.. You use a leather needle is the biggest improvement.
hot rod sewing

[media]

There is a video of a commercial machine with walking foot. Looks like walking foot is the way to go. Here is a long discussion where guys have figured out to sew with a regular machine though.. You use a leather needle is the biggest improvement.
hot rod sewing
Thanks Putz,thats a good link on probs with sewmachine.
Here's what happen to day;
For framing of pleated panles on a seat were there is a plan borader around pleating as in drawing a few post above..
I'm going to try a link for a photo of what i'm trying do,I failed but ya should get idea,so far not well at all.
Have Built a T-bucket and wish to try sewing for it,been playing around some with some vinyl and some sealed pleating.
There must be a better way,mine is not good or controlible really.
Dose anyone have a setp by step on how too.
I see there are few that look like this design,nearly all seats I SEE ARE WITH SQUARE CORNERS. Round could look better and dif. then others.
http://ruffrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=86484&stc=1&d=1309190962

attachment.jpg

Here is your pic

Any body heard from Mr fixit he started this thread and haven't heard from him in a while.

I wish Mr Fixit would check in,I may be able to help him with his seats too.
I did a full size test doorpanel to day,here a photo,I'm getting a little better with this old Kenmore. photo below

Attachments

• IMG_9799small.jpg
    IMG_9799small.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 53
I wish Mr Fixit would check in,I be able to help him with his seats too.
I did a full size test doorpanel to day,here a photo,I'm getting a little better with this old Kenmore.
My son is test driving around the block to get feel of foam we got in seat before we upholstery them.
See the temp wire and stuff hanging over the side.

Clearing up some details;
Some tricks with housewife machines that I may not of made clear or why are uses of "Leather needles size 18" is that shape needle helps it sew vinyl a lot EZer.
Another trick is use some silicone spray on needles too,plus on foot outer frame,or if your only using a slipper foot spray the bottom of it every now and then. The V92 thread=8oz. 92 U.V.R. is very high Q thread that also make needle and sewing move much EZer so it sews far better then other needles and thread would.

I know that feeling, thats why I went with the 1.5 pulley!

Here's a great video about making a leather guitar strap. Yeah, I know that's not exactly what you're doing. However, he uses a great sewing maching that will operate so slowly you can easily do corners. No, I don't have one...yet!

[media]

I been really feed up with speed on the Columlia 440-2 even after all my mod's. So been draging feet about getting started on sewing anything actuly for the hotrod and just practicing sewing with not very good ends up till now. Every one tells me it takes time,but I pick stuff up very fast when I try things and know if it's taking me too long.
So going by a local yard sale the other day I picked up for $5; old 1970's Kenmore 158-14101 zig zag in a case but not running and only some parts,only a strait foot ,nothing other then that,no zig zag,no piping or other types/ some parts to find I guess
Just to see I blow the $5 on it,after all it turns out pritty good,I cleaned for a few hr.s ,oiled,fixed foot speedpedal and this thing sews great = dose 4 layers of vinyl like it was one and vary good speedcontrol ,I can go around corners just fine now.
I never thought to even try what looks like a housewife looking sewing machine would do the job on vinyl,maybe most will not,but this old one has 1.2 watt motor vs many types have 1 watt or less. Guess I'll be trying to fine some feet for it,like 1/8in. or 3/16in.piper and a zig zag foot seems tobe only things I may need

Hey Bat, I've kinda been thinking about the speed problem myself for a while. I picked up a speed controller for a router from Harbor Freight, wonder if it will work on the sewing machine as well? I'm a LONG way off on doing my T's, got 4 cars in the shop ahead of them, but I thought I'd share the idea.

Thanks,but I looked into it,and be a wayst on this 440 even if i could.
No,it will not work as speedcontrol on my old swettshop 440,cus it has a clutch motor{AC]3800rpm,not a servo motor[DC],If I had the $ I'd just get a walking foot one that already has slow speed. But turns out this old 440 is a slipper foot anyway,so no need to fix it{I didn't know when I started all this,cus I had not sewed anything before only about a month ago.],it will not be better then my Kenmore and would just cost more for nothing better.. Next time I'd like to try with a real walking foot one.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back