Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Custom Muffler design or buy?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I will need to build some custom mufflers for my new exhaust system; nothing off-the-shelf will work. Is there a good source of design info? Or, has anyone had good luck with any of the aftermarket companies in making totally custom mufflers?

HEARTHROB [sp] claims they will make you anything you want...All I know is they're in minnesota....

dave

You might give Headers by Ed a call. They are up there in your neck of the woods....I think. ( Why don't people put at least there city in websites?) I don't know that he makes anything in the way of mufflers, but he has been building headers for an awfully long time and can probably steer you to who can help you.

http://www.coneeng.com/mufflers.html
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ex/patriot/mufflers.aspx#StandardMufflerInsert
http://www.dallasperformance.com/services.html
http://www.portermufflers.com/
http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/mufflers.htm
http://www.millerscustomheaders.com/

I dealt with these folks, but for Custom Mufflers on T style cars, Porter mufflers with a cone welded onto the front and slid into the tubing and retained with a couple of stainless screws work. Their mufflers are heavy made, and with a cone on the front and rear, inserted into sidepipes....they were awesome!
Hooker Hedders makes a sidepipe insert muffler, though its about 4" in dia.
Supertrapp used to make a insertable muffler....
Schoenfeldheaders, their IMCA muffler inserts work good.
Miller Will custom make anything you want, call him and fax him a sketch of what you want....

PotvinGuy, Randy over at Millers Custom Headers can design any kind you want and will work with you, whatever your needs could be, he's a real standup guy. They make some damn awesome Zoomies for racecars!

Shazam! Thanks for all the great leads. I took a look at Miller's website and there are some really nice cars and pipes to see there. I may even rethink my exhaust system now and go for all new from scratch, not just custom mufflers. Good thing I have no other vices...and my wife doesn't check the credit card statements. :whistling:

Just wanted to add this to a great thread, Richard Waitis from Magnaflow has some thought provoking ideas.
The muffler design will start at 15:37, if not skip ahead if you get bored.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily like the look, but . . . SuperTrapp's tuneable system can make an awesome sound. This guy proves it - one of the best sounding T-buckets you'll eve hear. Deep, throaty roar when he stands on it!

Johns T.jpg

Cool bucket. Gotta love the guard dogs just chillin waiting to take your hand off. Looks like the top has some dune buggy influence to it.

Cool bucket. Gotta love the guard dogs just chillin waiting to take your hand off. Looks like the top has some dune buggy influence to it.

John, from Texas, takes his two dogs with him to shows all over the country. His interior has a seat for him and a pad for the dogs. I last saw him at the Nats in Green Bay.

I'm still noodling on new pipes and have found a place right here in MSP: Custom stainless and mild steel headers fabricated by Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc.
They will make any pipes you can dream up. And at great prices in stainless.

That's a really awesome story Spanky. Just out having a good time with his 2 best friends. Gotta love it!

Never heard of this header co. Will check them out.

Thanks for bringing this old thread back to life Indy.

John, aka T Pilot & Pups, just had his knee replaced and has not been it the bucket in over 6 months. Both of his dogs died in late 2018 & 2019 and he has not replaced them yet. He told me last week that he will only have one going forward cause he is too old to take care of two dogs. King & Queene were both several years old and just barely able to jump in the car so they are better off I am sure. John really misses them two dogs our calls always gets around to talking about dogs cause he is fostering one and I have my two that go with me still...….

GP Headers is also in MN, Barnesville. They will send you a kit for designing your
own headers, then you send it back to them and they will build them. The $500 for
the kit is applied to the cost of building them.

Custom Headers - GPHeaders, Inc.

In this video Stainless Headers and GP Headers work together to create a complete
undercar exhaust for a LS V12 Camaro.

John, aka T Pilot & Pups, just had his knee replaced and has not been it the bucket in over 6 months. Both of his dogs died in late 2018 & 2019 and he has not replaced them yet. He told me last week that he will only have one going forward cause he is too old to take care of two dogs. King & Queene were both several years old and just barely able to jump in the car so they are better off I am sure. John really misses them two dogs our calls always gets around to talking about dogs cause he is fostering one and I have my two that go with me still...….
We lost our long time family dogs several years ago that we got when my son was 7 and my daughter newborn. One was 18, one younger due to C. Very very hard... they were my friends. The best dogs ever. Never on a chain, no fence, they never left our property, never destructive, not mean but very protective. Irreplaceable. I had to have em put down sitting on the floor in the vets holding them... tears flowing... one of the injustices in life is that they have such a short life span... seems like they just really become awesome family members and time runs out. Sorry to hear of his pain. New dogs are fun and have their own personalities, but never replace your lost pals. I personally think having two is easier than one... after getting them broke, they entertain each other, etc... just my op. We have 4... two that we raised, one pit that a friend was going to advertise and we feared she would become a bait dog, one that someone dumped and almost got hit in front of the house and ended up being a fixture... we do have room, but two is enough. We are just too soft hearted.

GM spends millions of $$ on exhaust-sound research, and puts a lot of engineering know-how into the design of exhaust systems, especially for 'performance' vehicles. I'm looking forward to the systems you guys come up with. :thumbsup::)

It's a unique challenge, Spanky. We don't have the room for fancy under-car exhausts with multiple big mufflers. Most of us have to make do with pipes in plain view like the common "roadster" headers. I've seen a few of those with Supertrapps. I'd like to do something a bit different, something like this, only better:
AgGZX9kLcCp3Ia8vt4iHLIA-tRsNDwP6hYNeVVDPoJKjmJhiDT9A3mjDwR8rNek-rOKlRug_qveu-P2NyuYtS7l1hJQwfTGdBG8nDkCyz0DKMbrB7Hv2Ld42ETYgfNFsWIGcG6ZncPTt657NEv_jq12nE4_KfWOSvJ_Yt-2SDOpj0hA7jgNuU05YiILo4GSFlfxPgh_RCl8OucnfaGFBCxwSoKOjO6-tzavMGi9YkuY3bszToFANvCwDZRGbO4MhWiIzGEo1SlYIpOT6YZo-ww3MqrmGJL_Ehg1YMHH1YKhW8PH1HOTgbr-Oy-6E47E2D4r1u48DkrF5C98T40wHqVWHoZll3bb_GZm2RiBYxWrQFQ6qlbnoEzd3hbAjsqOBBkriX8dlwgxF3g5urqnJI8acT4ncl-D-aHNnKbik5F7PoGpdpIWeb8uR53nnFu7spGP5ij2u6e96iXh2Y9DqSGYnVOo52iqTwzvMB-4YKGd-6GVd53dA0xY_S5pxbEy5vElRDuw80CNf2duOdUEv40zo-xJCTt4c830qI_7d5ErFc-v97oTjn1begv6P6SIV3tQkHOl968-ULGNwdZWHsO1LHM3cVVtPACpQbAfvEzOZu0hQgjrjdj0emFBmLJBazf5DgUcH9thYeFItr9WbhXXkh6Fy2nbe0jLd-UnAXLikUb5Kk1VFMAsQoUNZvTU0PQZ3jBR9TULljmzxJdEam47jWNj9FgGzNBpIxazopYTg0oM=w424-h640-no

Big 2" primaries with more curves, SS with exposed welds that will turn color.

Last edited:
It's a unique challenge, Spanky. We don't have the room for fancy under-car exhausts with multiple big mufflers. Most of us have to make do with pipes in plain view like the common "roadster" headers. I've seen a few of those with Supertrapps. I'd like to do something a bit different, something like this, only better:
AgGZX9kLcCp3Ia8vt4iHLIA-tRsNDwP6hYNeVVDPoJKjmJhiDT9A3mjDwR8rNek-rOKlRug_qveu-P2NyuYtS7l1hJQwfTGdBG8nDkCyz0DKMbrB7Hv2Ld42ETYgfNFsWIGcG6ZncPTt657NEv_jq12nE4_KfWOSvJ_Yt-2SDOpj0hA7jgNuU05YiILo4GSFlfxPgh_RCl8OucnfaGFBCxwSoKOjO6-tzavMGi9YkuY3bszToFANvCwDZRGbO4MhWiIzGEo1SlYIpOT6YZo-ww3MqrmGJL_Ehg1YMHH1YKhW8PH1HOTgbr-Oy-6E47E2D4r1u48DkrF5C98T40wHqVWHoZll3bb_GZm2RiBYxWrQFQ6qlbnoEzd3hbAjsqOBBkriX8dlwgxF3g5urqnJI8acT4ncl-D-aHNnKbik5F7PoGpdpIWeb8uR53nnFu7spGP5ij2u6e96iXh2Y9DqSGYnVOo52iqTwzvMB-4YKGd-6GVd53dA0xY_S5pxbEy5vElRDuw80CNf2duOdUEv40zo-xJCTt4c830qI_7d5ErFc-v97oTjn1begv6P6SIV3tQkHOl968-ULGNwdZWHsO1LHM3cVVtPACpQbAfvEzOZu0hQgjrjdj0emFBmLJBazf5DgUcH9thYeFItr9WbhXXkh6Fy2nbe0jLd-UnAXLikUb5Kk1VFMAsQoUNZvTU0PQZ3jBR9TULljmzxJdEam47jWNj9FgGzNBpIxazopYTg0oM=w424-h640-no

Big 2" primaries with more curves, SS with exposed welds that will turn color.

I'm going down the same road PotvinGuy with lakester headers. I do not like the under body exhaust I came up with. Looks like it belongs on a John Deere. Ultimate goal is something that looks like it belongs on a hot rod, is unobtrusive & sexy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back