Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Damaged Oil Pan

Indycars

I wanted to take this conversation to the correct forum, but below is a link to some more info.

Short Notice - Cruise Lake Texoma

Got the damaged pan off this yesterday, here is another look at it while it's off.

FP03_OilPanDamage_02869.jpg

I have a problem with the new pan, it hits the oil pump before it can go forward enough to
align with the bolts holes in the block. I don't have the pickup tube installed, so it hitting the
pump body. It needs to go forward another 1/8" to let the bolt holes align with the block.

Note the difference in corners #1 and #2. Number 2 cuts the corner off more than corner #1.

FP03_OilPumpInterference_02874.jpg

You can see where the oil pump is putting marks on the pan wall when I try to push the
pan forward.

FP03_OilPumpInterference_02875.jpg

What is the game plan now Rick? Different pan? Could you heat that area and dimple it, with a sand bag on the outside, enough without distorting the gasket area? Maybe to costly to try that and fail. IS there enough meat on the pump to take that much off? Sorry, just full of questions today.

I put a couple of studs in to help me guide the pan into place. Then I pulled it down with the
bolts, not all but enough it had to be in place. As you can see it left this mark where it was
gauging the pan inside.

FP06_OilPumpBodyClearanceToPan_02890.jpg

I can see and feel this bump in the oil pan.

FP05_PumpCreatedDimple_02878.jpg

Yes, grinding on the pump was the first thing I tried, but I can only take so much. It was
not enough !

FP05_OilPickupClearanceToPan_02888.jpg

So next was the pan. I don't have metal working skills or tools and I can't wait since I going
to Portland Maine in September ....... So I used a MAP torch and a ball peen hammer. It certainly
shows, I just hope it's not going to be all that noticeable.

FP07_CantonOilPanModification_02892.jpg
FP07_CantonOilPanModification_02893.jpg
It does clear now and no noticeable warping of the gasket surfaces. It was never going
back, it had to fit one way or another !

Sorry, just full of questions today.

I love questions, my wife can walk all around it and never ask what I'm doing ..... please
ask questions. To me it show interest!

I gotta ask why it didn’t fit... is the pan defective? Is there a specific pump they recommend? I don’t see how any pump would fit without interference issues. That would really aggravate me after digging deep for quality parts, I expect them to fit. Your resolve is fine, no one but you will see it. BTW, you lucked out from the looks of that old pan. It really took a hit.

I gotta ask why it didn’t fit... is the pan defective?
My oil pump is the Melling 10552, which provides 10% over volume and standard pressures.
It's about 3/4" longer than standard and that might have made the difference. But it's really
typical when modifying engines, I almost never just bolt a component on without checking
things.

Indy, old chum, why the fancy pump and pan? Wouldn't a plain-vanilla pump and pan do the job?

With the horse power he’s making I don’t think he wanted to bet they “would do”. You know he kills flies with a 3 pound hammer don’t you?

Indy, old chum, why the fancy pump and pan?

I made several oil system modifications to help oiling to the .....

Timing chain
Rear thrust face of the rear main bearing
Distributor gear to camshaft gear

With the mods I needed a pump with more volume to maintain good oil pressure. I have 20-25
psi at idle and 50-60 psi at 5000 rpm with a 10w30 oil.

This Road Race pan is much shorter at 7 inches which helps with the ground clearance. I will gain
another 1-1/4 inch of clearance over the old damaged oil pan.

Timing Chain Mod
TimingChainOilMod_2417.jpg

Main Bearing Mod
ThrustBearingMod03_2109.jpg

Distributor Gear to Cam Gear Mod
OilingModForGear02_5225.jpg
OilingModForGear01_5221.jpg

My oil pump is the Melling 10552, which provides 10% over volume and standard pressures.
It's about 3/4" longer than standard and that might have made the difference. But it's really
typical when modifying engines, I almost never just bolt a component on without checking
things.
That explains it.

I'm going to back track alittle bit with my statement about the length of the pump. The pickup
tube diameter is 3/4", but the pump is only 0.112 inches longer. That's based on the length of
the gears in the pump, but should be essentially to correct.

The volume is a direct function of the gear length if you hold the diameter constant.

.112 / 1.2 = .093 or 9.3% more volume.

NOTE: In the photo below is the pickup for the old pan, which means it would have to sit
1.25 inches lower in the pan.

GearDimensions_1736.jpg

The pickup I'm using now is from Champ, they were the only company to make a pickup
for my pump in a 7 inch oil pan. The pickup and oil pump are nearly at the same level, as you
will see in the photos below.

FP02_Champ_1028SB.jpg

Below are the clearances from the pump body to the pan bottom. So the pickup is 3/8 to 1/2
inch. I'm using the one piece gasket that is thicker than the old 4 piece gasket. ARP even
sells longer bolts for the one piece gasket. PN: 134-1801
PERFECT !!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-134-1801
upload_2021-7-31_16-29-24.png

FP05_OilPickupClearanceToPan_02880.jpg

FP05_OilPickupClearanceToPan_02885.jpg

What did you use to make that clearance blob? Pretty cool.

I've done that with Bondo to check clearances under my deck lid.

The clearance blob was done with modeling clay. The same material NASA uses for their critical dimensions! I thought everyone knew that. LOL !!!

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the Slam Guard oil pan. I know several bucketheads who swear by them. :rolleyes:

Slam guard.jpgSlam guard2.jpg

How deep are they ? I couldn't find that spec, even went to the Trans Dapt website.

For myself, I would like better oil control and a higher capacity than 4-5 quarts.

I made several oil system modifications to help oiling to the .....

Timing chain
Rear thrust face of the rear main bearing
Distributor gear to camshaft gear

With the mods I needed a pump with more volume to maintain good oil pressure. I have 20-25
psi at idle and 50-60 psi at 5000 rpm with a 10w30 oil.

This Road Race pan is much shorter at 7 inches which helps with the ground clearance. I will gain
another 1-1/4 inch of clearance over the old damaged oil pan.

Timing Chain Mod
View attachment 21413

Main Bearing Mod
View attachment 21414

Distributor Gear to Cam Gear Mod
View attachment 21415
View attachment 21416
[/QU
Jeez, I'm feeling very inadequate now. I've never dug into my crate motor. But thanks for the great pics, now I have more to worry about.

PotvinGuy said:
But thanks for the great pics, now I have more to worry about.

I figured you have been taking too many afternoon naps, so I wanted to
give something to keep you up !!! Drug Free !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back