Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Did anyone get that on tape

Mike

I had agreed to give our Treasurer a ride home from Lodge last evening. When we arrived at his house, I decided to back up into his driveway, so he would not have to make his way around the truck. His drive is on a slight incline, so I got up in the drive as far as I could.

He stepped out of the truck and immediately froze. He was really afraid he was going to fall, so I got out and walked around to help him get to the walk along the front of his home. Once I got him on solid footing, I went back to the passenger-side rear door and dug out his two cases and handed them to him. I made sure he got to the front door without issue and made my way back to the truck. As I was walking past the tailgate, I slipped and very nearly went down. I made it around the back corner of the truck and slipped again, but once again managed to remain upright. I pulled the driver's door open, lifted my right foot to step into the truck and all Hell broke loose.

My left foot went out from under me. I wrenched my left elbow, trying to hold myself upright, banged my right knee (which is now the size of a basketball) on the door jamb, crashed my left hip into the ground, followed immediately thereafter by my right elbow. Once all of me was on the ground, I then slid completely under the truck.

Had anyone caught it on tape, I assure you the video would have gone viral on YouTube.

There I was, banged up like a son-of-a-gun, laying on the ice, on my back, under my truck. I managed to pull myself back out and only fell to my knees one more time, before I finally managed to crawl into the truck. My condo is a second-story flat and there are 14 steps leading from the garage up to the great room. At about step 4 or 5, I was ready to go back down and sleep in the truck. :rolleyes:

And we all know how that works. Everything that was banged-up and hurting last night is now stiff and sore this morning. As my Dad would always say, everything I have that still works, hurts. My left wrist and hand are feeling pretty good, so I'm going to try to soldier through the day. :cripple:

In spite of the fact it certainly beats the alternative, this getting old stuff just isn't what it's cracked up to be. Pass the pain pills, if you please. :beat: Let me know when you have the Klutz of the Year award ready to go and I will provide mailing details.

Gettin' old aint for sissies!

Jim

Mike try RICE. Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Alternate Heat and Cold. Do not use Blue Ice blocks, possible frost bite problems, use ice in a plastic bag. Go easy on the otc pain relievers. Best of luck.

John

Yikes, BTDT. For me it was a patch of black ice on my driveway that got me while I was running garbage cans to the curb.

I have the gimp shoulder to go with it. Not bad enough for surgery, but messed up enough to intrude into my life. Clickety-click/pinch.

Here's to hoping you heal well.

dang Mike, I hope it all heals up soon. :cripple:

Sounds like an adventure, to me.
Bet the adrenalin kicked in?
Gerry

Just a little info if you need an ice pack. After I had my knee replaced an in home therapist told me to use a gallon ziplock bag and one cup rubbing alcohol and two cups water and put it in the freezer till it was slush (it won't freeze) that makes a good ice pack.

Just a little info if you need an ice pack. After I had my knee replaced an in home therapist told me to use a gallon ziplock bag and one cup rubbing alcohol and two cups water and put it in the freezer till it was slush (it won't freeze) that makes a good ice pack.
If Mike has a way to tell what the temperature of the water/alcohol combo will be, just make sure that the temp is above 32* F . If it is lower then there is a possibility of damage by freezing of the tissue that is covered by the baggie. Ice melts @ 33* and will continue to melt giving a "safety valve" that will not damage the surrounding tissue. The idea is to reduce swelling and alleviate some pain, not immerece the area in freezing cold. If you start to get the pin prickels, remove the cold pack and apply heat. Alternate. Cold, hot cold, hot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back