Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Disc brake kits for 28-31 Model A spindles?

Keeper

I have been searching all the brake places for a disc brake kit for the 28-31 model a spindles?

Anyone know of somewhere that sells them or should I look for a newer set of spindles? or better yet can I make the chev spindles work on that axle?

Keeper, have you tried Speedway Motors? They have quite a few different kits that may work.

Ok, well, it's a slow morning at work, I'll search and see what I can find.

I think on the H A M B someone posted they could use the bearing adaptors to put 40 & later drums on A spindles then the rotor kit would then fit. I don't know about the caliper brackets... someone dumped an old trailer on the farm down by the river. it has ford mech spindles ...I don't know what year but later than A ... when the snow melts I'll drag it out, cut off the spindles and wishbones and recycle the rest.

you would be wise to find a pair of later spindles.buy the time you go thru all the bs of adapting to the a spindles...you'll be money ahead with the later ones. trust me, been there done that.

Ron

Keeper said:
I kinda figured that was going to be the answer!

Well, I got a lead on someone who may have a kit for that. I'm waiting for a response. I did some research and it does seem that it's an odd set up, as far as hot rodding goes, but I'll let you know what I find out.

Keeper, I got two responses from the HAMB. The first is this:

"I don't know if this will work, but I don't know why it wouldn't...

Speedway Catalog #'s

hydraulic brake adapter rings: 916-31928

11" disc brake kit: 910-31942 "

The second is basicly what Youngster stated:

"We have an occasional call for this combination but most are Model A guys that want to improve the stopping power and retain the stock wheels. I havent seen any commercially made kits yet. The compatibility between a stock A wheel and a late model rotor is a problem. This brake setup requires a special length inner bearing spacer and a specific caliper mount bracket to match the model A spindles. If you are going to run a dropped axle this will require modified steering arms and they aren't made so buy the time you go thru all this you might have well used the common later 37 style spindles and the corresponding brake kit. Sometimes Free gets expensive."

I hope this helps.

Well I do make brackets for the disk brakes to model A spindles, why? because I can but those spindles all day long for $1 each, just because they take a spacer is no real problem, (plus I even use a shorter boss in the axles when using A spindles, as they save you a ton of money) and a different bolt pattern is nothing in the world of car building, I mean after all, nothing really was made for a bucket T... One must modify everything you use for these cars, as they are shorter and way lighter, nothing STOCK really works "as is"... RIGHT??

for an advanced builder who has the time and knowledge and tooling, the A set up might work. for the average joe who wants a simple and servicible set up, i would suggest going with a kit for the '37 and up spindles. jmho

Ron

Check out Speedway they are the cheapest.$199.99 plus $30.00 to hone and fit the king pins.
1928-1948 FORD SPINDLES ONLY
91032104_L.jpg

Youngster said:
for an advanced builder who has the time and knowledge and tooling, the A set up might work. for the average joe who wants a simple and servicible set up, i would suggest going with a kit for the '37 and up spindles. jmho

Ron

I know, but man its hard when you have 3 sets of spindles and cannot use any!! :)

It's gonna be harder AND more expensive to go your way.But im not going to try to talk you out of it good luck.I sent a Speedway add for you to look at.

Rick said:
Check out Speedway they are the cheapest.$199.99 plus $30.00 to hone and fit the king pins.
1928-1948 FORD SPINDLES ONLY
91032104_L.jpg

That's the kit I went with. Very nice complete setup at what I thought was a good price.

Another source you might want to look at is Chassis Engineering. They offer a forged spindle with Ford, Chevy or Mopar spindle snouts. This allows you to use the matching hub and brake assembly from a salvage yard. They are priced at $239.50 without bushings or $264.50 with bushings install. These are forged and machined in the USA and are top quality. They also offer the only forged I beam axle on the market that I am aware of and it to is a USA product. Hope this will help you.

George

www.chassisengineeringinc.net

319/643-2655

Rick said:
It's gonna be harder AND more expensive to go your way.But im not going to try to talk you out of it good luck.I sent a Speedway add for you to look at.

Yeah I am seeing that. Oh well guess I will bite the bullet. Have to see if I can find some north of the border, shipping and exchange will kill me right now at 22 cents on the dollar! :eek:

Thanks again for all the responses.

Keeper great find. I never heard of these guys but they are only a hour drive away. Next time I go to Guelph to visit my daughter I am going to drop by their shop. Let us know about the quality when you get the spindles.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back