Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Distributor

dblair

What is everybody using for distributor on total performance standard body with 3 " drop will a flamethrower type proteomics.looks like cap is to big

I have a Spirit standard body; I'm using a stock-type distributor with a Pertronix module.
T-Bucket10.jpg

I'm using a stock HEI unit.

Jim

Most any small base dist. should clear . I run a mallory unilite mainly because of the tunnel ram..

Most any small base dist. should clear . I run a mallory unilite mainly because of the tunnel ram..
Not to derail the subject, but have you ran the unilite very long? Any issues? I had one in my Pontiac because it was small and fit the tri power setup nice but it failed after only a couple years of minimal use. Yes, I had the proper ballast resistor and polarity, and the entire ignition was Mallory, coil, ignition box, etc... Just wondering weather to replace the module or pass it on. I liked its simplicity and adjustability, but dependability is king.

What is everybody using for distributor on total performance standard body with 3 " drop will a flamethrower type proteomics.looks like cap is to big
Where is the fire wall in relation to the parting line between the block and bellhousing? There are various options. You could run a small diameter distributor of there isn't enough room, or you could investigate moving the tub or cutting a relief in the firewall if you have a large diameter distributor that you like. I have a BBC in one with a tunnel ram and am running a small diameter MSD. I like GM, but the rear mount distributor is a downfall, imho. It makes shoe horning them into tight spaces tricky sometimes.

Bought at a swapmeet , has a 90's date code on the module , I've put 46K mles on it in 16 years , no troubles [I carry a spare modul ....

Thanks guys , I will let you know how I make out
everything worked out great thanks for the pics. I installed the flamethrower and yes It does fit. My next problem I am having is car wont start after it heats up .Let it cool down ,starts right up. Somebody said it might be heatsoak,anybody have a problem with this .Car does not overheat.

everything worked out great thanks for the pics. I installed the flamethrower and yes It does fit. My next problem I am having is car wont start after it heats up .Let it cool down ,starts right up. Somebody said it might be heatsoak,anybody have a problem with this .Car does not overheat.
Could be fuel related, vapor lock or even flooding... could be electronic, solid state component like a module, or even a coil. First you need to see what's lacking, spark or fuel, then determine the cause. Did you use a coil compatible with the new distributor, does it require an external resistor? Next time it won't start remove the air cleaner and see if it's getting fuel or too much fuel, also check to see if it's firing by testing one of the plug wires.

Another possibility: SBC's are notorious for starter motor heat problems. The solution is to put a heat shield around the starter.
heat shield.jpg

Spanky - I see some sort of label on the part. Is that an 'off the shelf' part? If so, who is supplier?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back