Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

e-brake

Johnny

What are you all using for the floor mount e-brake? Lokar sure is expensive! Is there a cheaper (a lot cheaper) way to do the e-brake system?

What are you all using for the floor mount e-brake? Lokar sure is expensive! Is there a cheaper (a lot cheaper) way to do the e-brake system?

I got a brake mechanism off flee bay for 9.99. even included the boot. I think it was liste as off an Acura.

Russ

I like to use all stock parts for that brake system for safety... I also have a line lock to the front wheels for added safety while parked, so the kids will not, but may, release the stock type handle and let her roll... I find kids sitting in my car after being parked in a lot or on the street for a while, kind of like a KID magnet... They do not know how to release that brake (hidden)...:)

I am using a brake handle that came out of a Vega. Probably not that easy to find anymore but any floor/center hump handle will work.

Along the same line here, how do you mount the cable junction bracket? To the bottom of the body or to the frame? Do you have the e-brake cables cut to correct lengths?
Can y'all explain how you put your e-brake system together? Pictures really help.

Thanks

DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES, BUT I'LL TRY TO DESCRIBE WHAT I DID. GOT AN E-BRAKE LEVER OUT OF A MID 90'S COMPACT, THINK IT WAS GM? LOOKED AT PICTURES OF LOKAR, ETC., FABBED APPROPRIATE BRACKETS TO WORK W/SAID LEVER. WENT TO NAPA ,GOT CABLES APPROPRIATE FOR FORD REAR BRAKES, CUT BARREL OFF LEVER END, REMOVED CABLE FROM HOUSING, FOUND YOU TWIST & PULL FERRULE OFF FRONT OF HOUSING, CUT HOUSING TO LENGTH. RE-INSTALLED FERRULE'S , MADE BRACKET TOLD HOLD HOUSING,BOLTED TO FLOOR,MADE 'BALANCE BAR' SIMILAR TO LOKAR PIECE W/ SETSCREWS,REINSTALLED CABLES. DETERMINED PROPER LENGTH OF CABLES,CUT THEM AFTER THEY WERE THRU BALANCE BAR. THAT'S AB OUT IT! DAVE

Got this off ebay. Its all S Steel and has a lever release. Its an aftermarket replacement for a Mini (The UK Mini, little thing with a Union jack on its roof as in the Italian Job.) Cost about 40 UKPounds. Just had to turn the cable bracket thro 90 degrees and weld it. I love it.
park brake3.JPG
Gerry

I like to use all stock parts for that brake system for safety... I also have a line lock to the front wheels for added safety while parked, so the kids will not, but may, release the stock type handle and let her roll... I find kids sitting in my car after being parked in a lot or on the street for a while, kind of like a KID magnet... They do not know how to release that brake (hidden)...:face:
Ted, what kind of line lock do you use?

I wonder how effective an E brake would be if only connected to one wheel. sure would be a lot easier to hook up.

Russ

I wonder how effective an E brake would be if only connected to one wheel. sure would be a lot easier to hook up.

Russ

Can you say donut especially if you don't have posi. The power will transfer to wheel that spins the easiest brake on one all power to other. Drive shaft brake works that is what buses without air brakes have.

Can you say donut especially if you don't have posi. The power will transfer to wheel that spins the easiest brake on one all power to other. Drive shaft brake works that is what buses without air brakes have.

Ha ha. ya. I guess I should have specified that I would concider that option a "parking brake" and not an "emergency brake".

Russ

Just a simple ball valve works fine for me, in the front line, push on the brakes hard and set the ball valve to the closed position, keeps the front brakes locked until you open the valve...

Does anyone knows if they make an electric open closed valve that I can turn a key and lock the front brakes after applying brake pressure as a parking brake. and could not be activated by accident while driving without a key.

Does anyone knows if they make an electric open closed valve that I can turn a key and lock the front brakes after applying brake pressure as a parking brake. and could not be activated by accident while driving without a key.

You can use a normally closed 12v solenoid valve on the fronts that would open when electricity is applied as when your ignition is turned on. When you apply brake pressure and turn off the key, the valve returns to it;s normally closed position for a park brake.

In the event of loss of electric power the valve would close and at this point you only have rear brakes as the fronts would be isolated by the solenoid vavle. A check valve could be added to by-pass the solenoid valve allowing you to apply front brakes, but.... you then can't release any brake pressure to the fronts until the solenoid valve is activated.

All this makes a simple ball valve look more attractive.

Read your state laws about Composite Vehicles (home built) In Ct. the "parking brake must be a completely separate system from the service brake and must be applied by a mechanical means. Can't use the hydraulic system for the "Parking brake"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back