Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Edelbrock Carb Issue

ellis8500

My Edelbrock carb would have idle issues. Fuel would start dripping from one of the primaries during idle. So bad that engine would not idle normally at all. Bought fuel pressure gauge and during install the rubber fuel line would split whenever I tried to insert barb fitting into hose. Ended up replacing entire line just to get the gauge installed. Fuel pressure is 2 psi so that is not an issue. Noticed fuel filter had rubber particles in it when I cleaned it. Removed carb top and fuel bowls had a lot of black sludge; rubber particles in them. Removed primaries and the one that was dripping had a clogged tube; a small rubber particle. So cleaned out the primaries and secondaries. Blasted all passages with carb cleaner and cleaned out fuel bowls. Car runs great now. So here's the real issue. The ethanol in our gas attacks rubber fuel lines. Small particles break away and most get caught in the filter. The ones that come off the line between the filter and the carb will, at some point clog one of the small tubes in the primaries which then causes the fuel drip at idle. Next project is to replace the rubber fuel hose with a metal fuel line.

People also make up braided steel fuel lines and do not blow out the rubber particles that get in the line while cutting to length. When fuel is added the particles get pushed into the carb and lodge under the needle of the needle and seat assembly or somewhere else.

My Edelbrock carb would have idle issues. Fuel would start dripping from one of the primaries during idle. So bad that engine would not idle normally at all. Bought fuel pressure gauge and during install the rubber fuel line would split whenever I tried to insert barb fitting into hose. Ended up replacing entire line just to get the gauge installed. Fuel pressure is 2 psi so that is not an issue. Noticed fuel filter had rubber particles in it when I cleaned it. Removed carb top and fuel bowls had a lot of black sludge; rubber particles in them. Removed primaries and the one that was dripping had a clogged tube; a small rubber particle. So cleaned out the primaries and secondaries. Blasted all passages with carb cleaner and cleaned out fuel bowls. Car runs great now. So here's the real issue. The ethanol in our gas attacks rubber fuel lines. Small particles break away and most get caught in the filter. The ones that come off the line between the filter and the carb will, at some point clog one of the small tubes in the primaries which then causes the fuel drip at idle. Next project is to replace the rubber fuel hose with a metal fuel line.
There is a fuel line made that should be used for ethanol gas. You should be able to get it at your local marine store.. It's blue in color.. I don't know why the car stores don't have it..

I had the same problem needs a fuel regulator i set mine at 4 lbs took care of the problem , some say 5 lbs online but i figured i would try lower see how it runs

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back