Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Electric Fuel Pump Failure

Yea, I think it's an incandescent bulb.

FP06_BulbFilament_02958.jpg

My son got back from his cruise and said it was hard to start. When I got in the car to pull it
into the garage I realized what he was talking about.

It would turn over, but didn't want to fire/start. Well it's all about that sweet spot in the ignition
switch where the ACC and Start are on at the same time. Just never noticed until now, before
the starter did turn unless it was also in that sweet spot and ignition was ON to. If that makes
any sense.

Anyway all I have to do now is also move the ignition over to the Always On power, then I won't
need the sweet spot for everything to work. But that sweet spot was also part of my anti-theft
system, it's going to be easy to steal now if I leave the keys in the car. :whistling:

Even harder than troubleshooting the problem is going back now and updating my drawings.
I want to go by memory, but that has not proven very successful in the past. :)

#3 actually goes to the ACC of the ignition switch for 12v power. This kills the fuel pump
while starting the engine, so you don't have extra drain on the battery during the start sequence.
Don't want an extra draw on the battery while cranking. Plenty of fuel in the carb for starting
the engine.

#1 - Goes to ground
#2 - Goes to the fuel pump relay coil
#3 - Goes to the switched fuse panel (12v)
#3 Corrected: Goes to the ACC of the ignition switch for 12v power

upload_2021-8-24_14-25-50-png.21600

Anyway all I have to do now is also move the ignition over to the Always On power,
Yes, pin 87 of the ignition relay to Always On.

Do you still have intermittent FP when driving? Still need to toggle the pump switch? If we run out of things to fix what will I do?

Do you still have intermittent FP when driving? Still need to toggle the pump switch?
Once I move the ignition over to Always On power, then everything will be working. I haven't
driven it yet, so I don't have first hand knowledge yet. It didn't give my son any problems other
than the starting we talked about above.

I got to get back on installing the trans cooler in the Navigator, I leave in just over 2 weeks for
Portland Maine.

If we run out of things to fix what will I do?
Get a job or wait on me to screw something up again ???:)

Thanks for the help !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back