Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wanted Enclosed Car Trailer

It all depended on how the trailer break controller was set. Mine had a manual lever to use if needed.
I don't have the trailer connected right now so I can't check, but I see in the manual where
it has a three "Brake Boost" setting. I will need to try setting that higher.

Thanks for the input !
It was good to see you in Tennessee the other night......Way to much Fun......
Yes it was good to see you and everyone else..... finally !

A small box (about 1/2 the size of extinguisher height) bolted to the wall makes quick access.
You don't think it needs to be locked in place somehow to keep it from bouncing out of the box while the trailer is in motion ???

A lot of brake issues come from undersize wiring.
Rewiring the whole trailer is in my plans some day!

Getting ready to head out again to Chicago ..... Yea towing a trailer in Chicago is got to be
the ultimate fun!!! Not taking the car, but moving my son back home so he can work on his
masters degree. It will be a good time to make sure the Fire Extinguisher (FE) mount is up
to the task. I don't want to find out it's not with the car inside and the FE bouncing around.

First I had to design the mount in FreeCAD and then I printed several test prints to check
for fit. The test prints were only 1/4" high not the full height of 11/16" for the top mount
and 3.0" for the floor mount.

Top Mount Below

FireExtinguisherMount03.jpg

FireExtinguisherMount02.JPG

Floor Mount Below

FloorMountDimensions.jpg

FloorMount.jpg

I have some more felt coming, the felt in the photo below is too thick for easy removal of the
FE. Why don't I just print another floor mount you say, well it took 25 hours to print what you
see below.

FP01_FloorMountInstalled_02810.jpg

If I'm not happy with how secure the FE is in transit, then I have also incorporated a hole for a
Pull Pin (See Photo Below). The top mount also SNAPS over the FE neck and seems to be a
good snap if you know what I mean. To remove the FE you would lean the top away from the
top mount until it's free and then pull it up out of the floor mount.

FP01_PullPinView_02811.jpg

The completed installation for now is below, I will probably change to some thinner felt in the floor
mount once I return home from Chicago. Not sure if it's obvious, but the photos are of the FE just
inside the side door.

Of course I had to polish the SS fasteners, really makes the RED mount pop don't you think ? :cool::D

FP01_CompletedInstallationFireExtinguisher_02813.jpg

The hole diameter for the pin would be 1/2 inch.

The fire extinguisher stayed put on my trip from Oklahoma to Michigan and back. But it
was too hard to remove from the mount, it would not lean out at the top far enough because
of the floor mount was too high.

I could have printed another floor mount, but it was easy to just modify it like you see in
the photo below. I cut most of the material out with a hack saw and then used my air dye
grinder with a aluminum bit to get the rest. Now it's easy and anyone should be able to
get it free in an emergency.

Project Complete !

FP02_ModifiedFloorMount_02819.jpg

The fire extinguisher stayed put on my trip from Oklahoma to Michigan and back. But it
was too hard to remove from the mount, it would not lean out at the top far enough because
of the floor mount was too high.

I could have printed another floor mount, but it was easy to just modify it like you see in
the photo below. I cut most of the material out with a hack saw and then used my air dye
grinder with a aluminum bit to get the rest. Now it's easy and anyone should be able to
get it free in an emergency.

Project Complete !

View attachment 21195

Good to hear you didn't have any hick-ups on your trip.. I would ease that point that the left arrow is pointing to with the same radius as the inside corner.(I know you just wanted to get it done for the trip, You'll go and reinvent the mount like a boats' cup holder now)

Fletch, Don't you see that transmission funnel standing in the corner, LOL JK

3D printing is so so cool.

Indycars - Could I pay you to print me a set?

Sure that would be NO problem ! Just pay for a 1kg roll of filament, I keep what's left over.

Do you need different dimensions ? The holes for the fasteners are 1/4 inch.

There are a jillion colors, I have green, red and gray in stock, but you could choose any from the link below.

All Filaments

This is just a snippet, there are 56 different colors.

PLAPrinterFilament.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I can see it now! Next time I come over you’ll have a neon sign in the front yard.

“RICKS PLASTIC PARTS PALACE”

And I will give you the family member price !;)

I guess I should mention the price...... Pay for a 1 kg roll of filament and I get to keep
what's left over. Typically I pay about $20 for Inland PLA plastic on Amazon.

Maybe I should start a thread for just 3D printing, but this still pertains to the trailer.

I've been worried that something would get across terminals on the battery causing a big problem
in a hurry!!! I keep everything I need when I go get the trailer from storage in ONE box, including
the battery. That way I know I have everything I could need and not have to return to the house.

So I printed a cover for the battery, but first I needed to do some test prints to make sure of the fit
where it goes around the battery case. I left room in the top of the cover for the terminals.

I'm finding more and more reasons to use this 3D printer, it's been very helpful to have.

TrailerBatteryCap01_02822.jpg
TrailerBatteryCap02_02823.jpg
TrailerBatteryCap03_02825.jpg .

What is the size limit on you printer? Do you make your own programs or find them online? I know that I see unlimited programs (if that is what they are called) online.

What is the size limit on you printer?
Roughly a 15 inch cube. The printer is an Anycubic Chiron.

Chiron

upload_2021-7-6_20-2-18.png

Do you make your own programs or find them online? I know that I see unlimited programs (if that is what they are called) online.
By programs I'm guessing you mean the 3D models I print. There are lots of models out
there that you can just print, one being .....

Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

But if you want something to fit your unique application, then you will need to design
the model in a 3D CAD program. There are many FREE 3D programs these day, I'm
using FreeCAD to design my models that you have seen so far.

Once you have a 3D model to print, then you open it in a SLICER program (I'm using Cura).
Again this software is free. From here you can send it to your 3D printer. There are several
more details to get from your idea to the physical part, but above is the process in a nutshell
when considering the big picture.

FreeCAD: Your own 3D parametric modeler

Last edited:
Below is one those free models and EVERYONE needs one
of these in their lifetime. SO HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO
BE READY FOR THE OCCASION !!! :cool:

Can of Whoop Ass by kc2fos

upload_2021-7-6_20-31-23.png

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back