Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Explain this Body please

Studebucket

Does this have a back seat? Do you sit all the way back? I would like a tub and I know this is as close as I can get right now, does any one have better pics?

Pretty nice looking ride. IF it has a back seat it would probably only be big enough for a small child. IMHO

Jim

That's Danny Simer's T. The body is made by a guy named Ernie in Mountain Home. I forget the name of his business, but I've been to his shop and seen the molds for this body. He had a listing on eBay for those bodies awhile ago. Don't know if it's still there. I have his card at home. I'll find it and post the contact info.

You sit in the normal place for a bucket. The space in back is big enough for a jump seat, but there is no leg room. Danny has his set up as a luggage compartment with a tonneau cover. Hauls a lot of stuff.

Does anybody build a sedan bucket or do they just take two buckets and glass them together?

Well, I couldn't find Ernie's card. If anybody wants to contact him about the T body, you can e-mail Danny at razor23t at yahoo dot com and he can hook you up with Ernie.

Ted Brown said:
That body style would sure be easy to set the leg room needed for any size driver... :)

Yea indeed Ted......I'd like that.....set you seat where you know you got room and have a little bit behind the seat for storage for cloths and such going to the Bash next year..............How much is this body?????????????

Hum.......engine is done......rearend is done.........Trans is done........I'm ready to move on to the frame and body.....................:cool:

Ernie (the manufacturer of this body) does not have a web site. He had the bodies listed on eBay ahwile back. The "buy it now" price was $2,500. I think you could probably get one for $2,000.

OK, now that I've given you a heart attack, let me explain the price. This is the most well-built fiberglass body (of any type) I have ever seen. The molds are beautiful. As RPM pointed out, the red color on Danny's body is not paint, it's gel-coat, and it's almost perfect. You cannot see where the joints in the molds were. The bodies are hand layed-up with multiple layers of cloth... no chopped glass anywhere. A steel square tube re-inforcing frame is glassed into the body to support the dash (column drop), windshield mounts, door frames (2), seating area and the rear of the body. The doors are not cut out of the body after molding, they are made separately and are steel tube framed. The doors have bear-claw latches. The price includes the doors and a seat insert. I think this is a very good value for someone who is willing to pay for quality.

I actually have given some serious thought to buying one of these (for a new project), but there is one thing about them I don't like. These bodies cannot be channeled without some major rework... beyond my capabilities.

WAIT A MINUTE! I was told a month ago to use wood to reinforce my glass for the boat car and not steel. Mainly because the coefficient of expansion of wood and fiberglass is about the same.

If Ernie's body is steel reinforced with fiberglass cloth laying over it, why shouldn't I do the same. Guys, you're getting me confused again.:confused: I'm about to say F***-it and build the whole thing except for the engine cover out of steel.

RPM said:
And that shiney red, ain't paint. That is how it came out of the mold. That car has never been painted. Just fantastic glass work.

What I know is it started as a Spirit body that Slimer got from us. You can tell by the Spirit dash still in the bucket. He had Ernie who used to work for Spirit do the work on it. He also has the Spirit 34 style grill shell on his bucket and from what I understand you can get an exact copy with your Slimer style bucket from Ernie.

Lee_in_KC said:
Ernie (the manufacturer of this body) does not have a web site. He had the bodies listed on eBay ahwile back. The "buy it now" price was $2,500. I think you could probably get one for $2,000.

OK, now that I've given you a heart attack, let me explain the price. This is the most well-built fiberglass body (of any type) I have ever seen. The molds are beautiful. As RPM pointed out, the red color on Danny's body is not paint, it's gel-coat, and it's almost perfect. You cannot see where the joints in the molds were. The bodies are hand layed-up with multiple layers of cloth... no chopped glass anywhere. A steel square tube re-inforcing frame is glassed into the body to support the dash (column drop), windshield mounts, door frames (2), seating area and the rear of the body. The doors are not cut out of the body after molding, they are made separately and are steel tube framed. The doors have bear-claw latches. The price includes the doors and a seat insert. I think this is a very good value for someone who is willing to pay for quality.

I actually have given some serious thought to buying one of these (for a new project), but there is one thing about them I don't like. These bodies cannot be channeled without some major rework... beyond my capabilities.

Hey Lee and Ron........I was gonna get a body, cut it, widen it slightly so I could channel it, lengthen it so I wouldn't be so cramped and Ron more or less showed me how to do the doors and hinges.........just my thoughts.....if I were to go ahead and get this body....I could possibly save myself several months worth of wrk...........I've been looking at the Spirit bodies..........your input guys??????????????..........:eek:

I would like to say first I am not trying to bust anyone's chop or take anything away from anyone. This body is a spirit industries body that was made bigger. I have been on BC ever since I started working here to make a bigger and wider T bucket. After him seeing this post he is going to finally cave in and make a wider and longer T bucket. We are looking to channel it and it will be on the 27T chassis. Stayed tuned to the Spirit Industries thread and also we might do some video for the do it yourself kinda guys.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back