Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fan relays

Spanky

Staff member
Can a relay go bad? Reason I’m asking, my 16” thermostat-controlled electric cooling fan (puller) has worked flawlessly for 3-1/2 years, but now won’t come on. I checked connections, all good. I disconnected the fan and wired it directly to a 12 volt source – runs fine. So, I’m wondering if the relay went kaput – didn’t think they would do that . . . any suggestions?

16 Rad mount.jpg

Can a relay go bad? Reason I’m asking, my 16” thermostat-controlled electric cooling fan (puller) has worked flawlessly for 3-1/2 years, but now won’t come on. I checked connections, all good. I disconnected the fan and wired it directly to a 12 volt source – runs fine. So, I’m wondering if the relay went kaput – didn’t think they would do that . . . any suggestions?

View attachment 17175

Absolutely. The small switch could break, the wiring could get corroded or it could just fail from poor build quality. I always keep an extra one or two around as security

View attachment 17175

If your connections, wiring , and fan are good, then all that's left is the relay and the thermal switch.

You can short the connection to the thermal switch directly to ground and if the fan comes on, the thermal switch is bad, and if it doesn't, the relay is bad.

The probability that the relay and switch are both bad at the same time is pretty remote.

Probably have to order it. In the meantime I can just run the fan all the time. :rolleyes:

Glad you got the fan thing worked out. Spanky, did you get your spongy brake pedal corrected. Or did I miss that post?

Haven't done anything to the brakes. I'm still daily driving it with no problems, just a spongy pedal. :cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back