Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fiberglass over spray foam?

Make sure not to use the latex stuff(white) though it breaks down. Yes dog did survive.

So to me this stuff would work on filling that little gap where the floor meets the body before glassing it in ?

I did a test; squirted 2 cans of Great Stuff in a box, about 2" deep. After a while the surface had hardened, but it was still uncured underneath. I pulled off the hard part and let the interior cure. The next day it was completely hardened and I could cut and sand it. So the lesson is to build up in thin layers, maybe 1" max, allowing each to cure. And it really is tough; a power carving knife and rough sandpaper or maybe a cheese grate will ease the job. And it is sticky until cured; gloves recommended. I noticed they have several varieties of it; one is made for filling large voids and might be better if you have lots of space to fill.

I tried the Great Stuff for filling large voids to build up about one inch on a Track T nose to get it to match the hood and my result was not as good. Perhaps I did not let it cure long enough. I was able to cut it shape etc. But when I put the fiberglass matte on it, most of it collapsed or melted down. Not all of but enough that now I don't know wether to finish filling with a body filler with Kat Hair in it or maybe try the regular Great Stuff.
Lee

OH I was to the under standing that all the floor needed to be glassed top and bottom and to the side's to keep water from ruining the floor ? and was going to try this foam to make a nice smooth bead to transition the glass from the floor and up the side a bit ?

OH I was to the under standing that all the floor needed to be glassed top and bottom and to the side's to keep water from ruining the floor ? and was going to try this foam to make a nice smooth bead to transition the glass from the floor and up the side a bit ?
The bottom of the floor will be fine with just a layer of resin to protect it.

I have replaced floors where the gap wasn't filled. Even a small void like that will gather condensation and leach into the plywood. If you are worried about water inside the body, drill a couple 1/4" holes at the base of your firewall.

Ron

I tried the Great Stuff for filling large voids to build up about one inch on a Track T nose to get it to match the hood and my result was not as good. Perhaps I did not let it cure long enough. I was able to cut it shape etc. But when I put the fiberglass matte on it, most of it collapsed or melted down. Not all of but enough that now I don't know wether to finish filling with a body filler with Kat Hair in it or maybe try the regular Great Stuff.
Lee
I think the key to using the spray foam is to let it fully cure. I waited at least 24 hours or longer for it to harden. It is so soft and flexible that when i first sprayed the bottom of my grille, i had to prop it up at an angle to keep the stuff from falling off in the floor. It is about the consistency of whipped cream when first applied.

My gap is small but remeber reading it is hard to keep the glass to stay put on sharp corners when it is curing so i thought this would help and seal the gap at tbe same time

To put drain holes in the bottom of your body, get a piece of PVC pipe that has an inside diameter that is close to the size hole you want. Drill a hole in your plywood floor that is the same size as the outside diameter of the pipe. Cut off a piece of pipe just long enough to go through the floor with a small amount sticking out both sides. Glue the pipe in the hole, sand any protruding pipe flush with the faces of the plywood. Fiberglass over the whole thing, both sides. Get a drill bit that is the same diameter as the ID of the pipe or slightly larger, and drill through the glass (when dry) and the center of the pipe and come out the bottom side. You will have a waterproof hole that won't leak into your plywood core.

My word. all this talk of water drains and such, you'd think we actually drove in hurricane weather. ;)
In Oregon, you will be ticketed for driving a fenderless T in the rain. is that not the case in other states?
More on-topic: I've used the spray foam many times to create temporary molds, or to build up areas to glass over, with no dissolving issues. sometimes I'll cover the finished foam "mold" with masking tape. that way, when the fiberglass is dry, you can pull the fiberglass part off and eliminate the foam and tape. this works well when building things like a trans tunnel for instance. (fiberglass resin will not stick to the masking tape)

Russ

You haven't fully experienced the trill of owning a T bucket till you've driven in a downpour!!;)

Ron

You haven't fully experienced the trill of owning a T bucket till you've driven in a downpour!!;)

Ron

That is quite right, Ron. Here in Florida during the summer months we're subjected to afternoon "showers" virtually every afternoon. Some of these "showers" can be some real gully washers! I know because I've driven in several of them and I remember one in particular. It was coming down so hard that even big trucks were pulling off onto the shoulder but Nan and I plodded along. At the first stop light I looked over at her and said "wow, a wet T shirt contest", which went over like a fart in church. I then proceeded to the closest gas station and got two large garbage bags from one of the attendants. I then proceded to have her step into one and then I cut a hole big enough for her head and pulled it over her. Problem solved, no more "wet T shirt contest." LOL

Jim

ha ha. I lived in the Tampa/ St Pete area back around 71-73. I recall it as being a common site to see a car pulled into a shopper center parking lot ("high" ground) and bailing out with a bucket, following the daily 4:00 thunder bumper. also common to see a car that had ignored a road block in the street and driven right into a 3' deep sink hole filled with water. Aren't people fun to watch? ;)

I used the Tuff Stuff foam between the floor and body, it worked great. Have to let it cure all the way, then carve off the excess. Glass it top and bottom, looks good. Thanks for the tip on the drain hole, will do.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back