Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fiberglass Transmission Tunnel

askiles

Hey everyone...here is my self made custom transmission tunnel that I glassed just recently. I started by making a steel flat bar skeleton for it, covered it with some black felt, and then started laying glass, top and bottom. I used some 6oz cloth first, and then laid several layers of matte. Now I just need to sand it down a bit to smooth it out. I may lay some filler just to really smooth it. Anyways, enjoy...

2012-01-08_19-19-57_553-1.jpg

2012-05-05_15-18-48_59.jpg

2012-05-24_16-00-47_60.jpg

2012-05-24_16-01-28_412.jpg

2012-05-16_21-52-32_271.jpg

I'll second the comment about sitting low. I don't care for the school-bus driving position I see on a lot of buckets.

The steel flat bar is now sandwiched between layers of fiberglass...I glassed it both on top and on bottom. If a u-joint ever fails...knock on wood...I am sure I will be safe from the flying driveshaft.

looking good! i seen a few people use fleece before but i was never sure if it would work well with the glass over it. love the metal work in it :)

Andy, I just noticed your motor mounts...are those frame mounts off the shelf items or are they custom made? They look like they would be just the ticket for what I have planned.

Bill

Your pictures remind me of when I was building my 23 modified, it sat a lot like yours. When I got to the part about the trans hump my transmission sat about as high as yours is, so the hump was pretty big too. On one forum I was on at the time some guys there suggested a great way to shape the hump, they said to use styrofoam blocks glued together and shaped the way I wanted the hump to end up, then cover it with glass mat. That sounded like a great idea.

So I bought a bunch of styrofoam sheets, glued it together, and shaped it with an electric carving knife. It really came out nice, then I started to lay up mat over top of it. As I was getting near the end I noticed the mat was starting to sag in the middle, and then it started to sag all over ! :eek: Before it had a chance to set up that way I tore it all out and tossed it into the garbage can.

When I posted about the fiasco I had the guys who told me about the process said "Oh, we forgot to tell you, resin eats up styrofoam unless you put a barrier on top of it !" NO KIDDING, that little piece of information would have been nice to know ! So I made a second styrofoam mold but this time I totally covered it with red duck tape that they sell at Home Depot to mask off stucco for painting. It is like regular duck tape but stickier and thicker. I made sure every square inch of the styrofoam was covered so no resin could touch it, and then I laid up several layers of mat and let it dry.

When it was cured the next day I turned the body over and simply peeled the styrofoam and red tape off of the mat and it left a perfectly shaped hump and driveshaft tunnel.

Don
tseatrisersfiberglassedin008-2-1.jpg

I have posted on this subject before but I thought that it might be useful to do it again. What I did was to make a skeletal framework that would hug the transmission as close as possible, because much like Don, my car sits low and I wanted to maintain as much interior room as possible.

IMG_0100.jpg

I then covered the framework with gaff tape or you could use duct just as well.

IMG_0104.jpg

Then I laid the glass over the covered form.

IMG_0106.jpg

When cured, I removed the framework and trimmed the tunnel to fit the opening.

IMG_0225.jpg

The big difference in my trans cover is that it is removable. Since my car has a fiberglass floor, I made a flange type mount with glassed in T nuts so that the tunnel is smooth on both sides for a very clean look.

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-0077.jpg

Jim

Wow, that is some really good stuff Jim and Don. Definitely storing this info away for a future build. Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

Joe's hot rod shop here in Lincoln uses old window screen to form the trans tunnel, then glasses directly to it.
They're built a car right now. If they haven't done that part yet I'll try to get some pics when they do.

Window screen would be good as it would be like laying a rebar system in place, just like they do with concrete. It would be nice and strong.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back