Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Finalized engine/trans combo for my long term Bucket project...

Sixshooter

Well, after many ideas including a '59 235 chevy six/4 spd, a cadillac 500ci v8/th400, and even twin engines/??? I've finally got ahold of the engine/tranny combo I'll be using in my T.

I recently snatched up a '58 Corvette 283ci chevy small block and cast iron powerglide. The PG is supposed to be from the same vette, but so far I have not been able to find anywhere online to get a positive ID on it. According to the fella I got it from, the stamped #'s on the governor(C5 10D) is the # that ID's it as vette.

It has a forged crank & rods, flat top pistons .030 over, and looks to be in excelent shape. I got a set of "416" 305ci Z28 heads which are 1.84/1.50 valves w/ 58cc combustion chambers. I also procured an edelbrock torker II intake & holley 4 barrel.

My plans are to re-ring/bearing the short block after making sure everything is within tolerence by having it checked by a machine shop. I'd like to have it balanced. Have the heads rebuilt, get a nice-n-lumpy camshaft(probly a comp cams magnum 292H), & collect up the other odds & ends and assemble it. Then I'd like to install it in my frame(which I still need to build....lol) with the tranny & hook everything up so I can start & run it for cam break in & just plain fun.

I've wanted to build a T Bucket for a long, long time and this will probly take me a long, long time to finish but I'm still excited! I know that it's really just another 283, especially since it's not going to be all stock. But I still think it's neat to have a real '58 vette block in my T. A conversation piece for the drive in at the very least!

Just had to share!

-John

As a Vette guy I think that's really cool. I'm putting the 350 from my 87 Vette in my bucket. Sounds like your plan has been set in motion. Good luck with it.

I have always wanted a Vette. My neighbor has a 74 and we are doing a frame off on it as he can afford it. We removed the body and stripped the frame had it media blasted , powdercoated , he ordered new front suspention IE new A arms and a composit front spring with hydraulic steering. And his trailing arms are out for a rebuild. If anyone is interrested i think he has some newer ceramic headers and a nearly new nitrious set up for sale. He doesnt do ebay and ask me to put the word out and i just thought of it.

I thought about putting it up for sale so someone restoring a vette could use it but decided there was no reason I shouldn't be able to enjoy it! It will be a long term project but I'm plugging away, slowly but surely.

-John

rooster57 said:
I have always wanted a Vette. My neighbor has a 74 and we are doing a frame off on it as he can afford it. We removed the body and stripped the frame had it media blasted , powdercoated , he ordered new front suspention IE new A arms and a composit front spring with hydraulic steering. And his trailing arms are out for a rebuild. If anyone is interrested i think he has some newer ceramic headers and a nearly new nitrious set up for sale. He doesnt do ebay and ask me to put the word out and i just thought of it.
Get me some pics and contact info and I'll post them on some Vette sites I'm on.

I'm putting a 283 together, too! I've got an Offy 3X2 intake, Rodchesters, etc. Since it is a 1957, I'm looking for some Cal Custom staggered hole valve covers, a Mallory dual point, etc...

I'm using a powerglide as well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back