Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

First Snow

Mike, sounds like he must have been a city employee at one time. No offense to the other hard working city folks.:devilish:

Having a 6 year old and looking forward to another snowday this week I totally understand this mother!

I have a 3 year old daughter and enjoy my time with her as they grow up so quick, It is hard to believe she is already 3. I enjoy snow days with her even though I am working from home.
Oh I understand & I love spending time with mine too. I think I've had enough of Frozen the movie & feeling like I live in Alaska though.

hulkamania...

How's that weather in Flippin today? Just heard my wife is watching hard blowing sleet in Mountain View this afternoon. Lots of trucks and chainsaw crews standing by. Could get easy. BTY, has anyone seen that little weezle Al Global Warming Gore lately as I want to have a word with him! Hope it misses you.

George

Well here 2 1/2 hours south of Flippin the roads are covered in ice & it took my wife 2 hours to get home. We got a fire going, and about to grill up a steak dinner. The roads are crap school will be closed tomorrow. So the Misses will stay home & I'll be workin. Just another day in Alaska... Uh I mean Arkansas. Kinda hard to tell the difference lately.

I think maybe tonight is our last bad one. We are going to slip below 0° tonight, but lower-40's over the weekend, and mid-50's by the middle of next week.

Monday night, we were getting freezing rain, and in a fit of infinite wisdom, the supervisors had just seven of us out, throwing salt. Seven of us, to cover all the buildings on campus. :rolleyes: I was walking down a sidewalk and in less than a nano-second, went from being upright to laying on the ground. And this knee, you know the one the osteoarthritis has destroyed, the one the doctor wants to replace? Well, it must have made first contact, because it looks like a piece of hamburger.

I couldn't believe a fellow as large as myself could move so fast. No question about it, gravity works. I had no clue I was even falling, until after I realized I was laying on the ground.

I will be so happy to welcome the warm weather.

Mike I would think you would be an expensive salt spreader! Sounds like your manager used to be a Postal supervisor!

We have 10.5 inches on the ground this morning , and 16 degrees. And in the upper 40 next week ,maybe were out of the woods.

Mike I would think you would be an expensive salt spreader! Sounds like your manager used to be a Postal supervisor!
Heh, if you want to see my pay grade, you need to go to the basement, then take the stairs down, two more flights.

Imagine Purdue employees forming a totem pole, with the lowest-paid employee on the bottom. That's the guy standing on my shoulders.

It ends up being an embarrassment, but the editorial staff on The Exponent (Purdue's Monday - Friday newspaper) somehow feel the need to publish all the annual wage data, for all 15,000+ employees, once each year. Since Purdue is state-owned, The Excrement, err Exponent, apparently feels this data is of some vital importance to the campus community. The annual report was published in yesterday's issue. The front page showed the twenty top-paid employees at Purdue, and five of them have offices on my floor. But no, my name was not on that page.

I did the math, and the highest paid professor on my floor can earn in 17.46 days, what it takes me all year to earn. In less than three weeks!

Yet, in their infinite wisdom, Purdue is now trying to strip me of a total of eight days of paid time off, to help cut costs. Isn't it amazing how employees can enter into agreements with employers, to provide X amount of work, for X amount of compensation, but the employers are never bound to those agreements? The committee that developed this inane, paid time off change has had their backsides handed to them, for the last week, and they have withdrawn their initial proposal and have gone back to the drawing table. I am due 12 days of paid vacation, 10 days of paid sick leave, and 1 personal holiday this year, for a total of 23 days of paid time off. Under the initial proposal, I would be given a straight total of 15 days off, instead. Most people think I have a fat mouth and exercise very minimal control over it, but truth be known, I come across as being shy and reserved, compared to some of my co-workers. Purdue had a grand total of two employee meetings to explain their new proposal, before canceling all subsequent meetings and withdrawing, to lick their wounds.

I kid you not, I make next to nothing. For so long as I can keep Purdue's nose-pickers out of my benefits package, I do have some excellent benefits, particularly when it comes to health insurance, but my paycheck is an absolute joke. A recent survey on the campus has shown most of the employees at my wage scale are living below poverty standards (since I live alone, that does not apply to me), and that slightly over 17% of us have second jobs.

It was colder than a mother-in-law's heart, last night, but the weather was kind and we did not have to go outside. I did have to go to another building, to help clean up a flooded basement. A broken water pipe left us with 5" of standing water. I had three wet-vac tubs, with one head. I would clamp a head on an empty tub, turn on the vac, fill the tub, shut off the vac, unclamp the head, roll out the full tub, replace it with an empty, clamp on the vac head, and switch the vac back on. We got that process down to 70 seconds. At one point, we were held up, because they were spending more time draining the tubs than we were, to fill them. Just about the time we were getting down to the concrete floor, our supervisor called to let us know he had procured a flood control machine for us to use. :rolleyes: Gee. Thanks. A lot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back