Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

First time t bucket owner

Slowvelle

Just got my first t bucket. And ive noticed the front end is really squirrely at highway speeds. Is this normal for a t bucket or do i need to fix something. About 55mph is as fast as i can go before it starts getting sketchy. It uses a tubular straight axle with about a 4 inch drop. And a single leaf spring. I did notice it has no shocks and the tie rod that goes fron left to right spindle is only about 7/8 inch tube and really flimsy.

The tie rod should not be flimsy. Can you flex it by lifting and pushing it? If it loves more than 1/4" it needs to be replaced. What you have is "death wobble" and happens often. Sometimes it's trial and error to find. Air pressure, toe in or out, caster and wheel bearings or spindle bushings. Search death wobble and you will find a lot of info. Good luck and welcome to the insanity!

Could be a number of issues really. We need some pics of the front end etc...

Welcome from St Louis, Slow! Why would you want to go faster than the legal speed limit (in most states)?:D:p
Front end in geometry in these cars varies widely, and most of us have worked through some issues with our own 'buckets. Fortunately there is some adjustability built in through radius rods/4-links, tie rods, etc. The more info you can provide about your particular setup the better, and like Jim says, put up some posts until you can total ten, then post some pics.:thumbsup:

Why would you want to go faster than the legal speed limit (in most states)?:D:p
Why wouldnt i want to go faster than the legal speed limit. Ive owned muscle cars my whole life and got this t bucket because it was something different and everyone told me they drive like crap but i figured it should at least drive good enough to take it down the drag strip. But not with it driving like this.

When set up properly they drive excellently. I can cruise along at sixty plus and take my hands off the wheel and the car continues on no differently. The same goes for braking, there is no pull or shimming. I would not want any vehicle to do any better.

Jim

Why wouldnt i want to go faster than the legal speed limit. Ive owned muscle cars my whole life and got this t bucket because it was something different and everyone told me they drive like crap but i figured it should at least drive good enough to take it down the drag strip. But not with it driving like this.

I was just kidding, Slow. :geek: None of us obey the speed limits all the time! And I hope the folks at this site can help you get the bugs worked out so you can drive at the Texas posted limit (which is 85, I think!)

I was just kidding, Slow. :geek: None of us obey the speed limits all the time! And I hope the folks at this site can help you get the bugs worked out so you can drive at the Texas posted limit (which is 85, I think!)
Speed limit? You mean wide open throttle? Lol

G'Day All'
There's been heaps written on the "Death Wobble" issue over the years. There was lots of research done in the 30's, 40's and 50's on this. It's one of the reasons Manufacturers went to independent front suspension from the solid axle. You need good shocks and no slop in the front end. (tie rod ends, king pin fit etc etc). A really good steering damper gives lots of control, and it goes without saying the wheel/tyres should be properly balanced. Modern cars suffer similar things, the late 80's early 90's Ford Falcon front end is sensitive to out of round tyres.
Regards,
Mike.

We'll have to wait on pictures because he needs ten posts before he can post pictures.

Jim
He could use photobucket or some other host site though.
Anywho....without seeing what you have exactly its hard to suggest what might be wrong.
Might not be death wobble at all...could be bad alignment....improperly set up spring tension...improperly set up steering box...suspension arm geometry could be bad etc. The list is endless and a few pictures will narrow things down considerably.
These cars can feel fantastic to drive or feel like a rolling death sentence...or anywhere in between.
Theres no telling the skill level of the person who put it together and that can make a huge difference!
They are basic....but they are also particular in steering and suspension setup.

He could use photobucket or some other host site though.
Anywho....without seeing what you have exactly its hard to suggest what might be wrong.
Might not be death wobble at all...could be bad alignment....improperly set up spring tension...improperly set up steering box...suspension arm geometry could be bad etc. The list is endless and a few pictures will narrow things down considerably.
These cars can feel fantastic to drive or feel like a rolling death sentence...or anywhere in between.
Theres no telling the skill level of the person who put it together and that can make a huge difference!
They are basic....but they are also particular in steering and suspension setup.
I was gonna check this weekend for caster and toe in. Whats the best toe in a caster for these. Also its got motorcycle tires on the front. Im sure that dont help but how much pressure would you use in a super skinny tire like that. Also gonna check all the heim joints. Make sure non of them are bad.

Caster should be between 6 - 8 degrees positive, and is determined by the layback of the kingpins from vertical - adjustable somewhat with the radius rods. (shortening the upper leg of the radius rod will increase the layback; shortening the lower leg will reduce the layback) The toe-in or out can be set easily by shortening/lengthening the tie rod. Some cars like a little toe-in (about 1/8" on mine) and some like a little toe-out. Trial and error.

Last edited:
Well finally got to check on that front end. And the way its set uo right now is 0 degrees caster perfectly 90 to the ground. And 0 toe. So that would explain alot on why its all over the place at highway speeds. Gonna try adjusting around on it tomorrow if i can get the time

Fixing the caster alone might solve the problem. I would do that and take it for a ride before messing with the toe in or out. My T-buckets have 0 toe.

I was gonna check this weekend for caster and toe in. Whats the best toe in a caster for these. Also its got motorcycle tires on the front. Im sure that dont help but how much pressure would you use in a super skinny tire like that. Also gonna check all the heim joints. Make sure non of them are bad.
If you really have motorcycle tires on car wheels on your car, you have a problem. I bought a T-Bucket from a friend. It had been in storage for a long time and all the tires needed to be replaced. I was having new rear tires mounted and as I was waiting, I told the sales guy I was going to put motorcycle tires on the front and asked if they sold them there. The sales manager butted in and said "You can't put motorcycle tires on car wheels." I told him I couldn't find car tires for the 4" wide front wheels, and I was not going to buy new front wheels. I won't bore you with the long story that followed. Here's what you need to know. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ferences-between-car-motorcycle-rim-tire.html

You can put a car tire on a motorcycle wheel (could be difficult), but it can work. Look at the illustrations in that link and you will see why you do not want motorcycle tires on car wheels. There are several issues. The sizes are different.....a 15" car tire diameter is not the same as a 15" motorcycle tire diameter....not even close.
I ended up with Mickey Thompson front tires, made for 4" wide car wheels. I think they are rated for 130 mph.

You need to check this out. It's a really big deal. Good luck.

If you really have motorcycle tires on car wheels on your car, you have a problem. I bought a T-Bucket from a friend. It had been in storage for a long time and all the tires needed to be replaced. I was having new rear tires mounted and as I was waiting, I told the sales guy I was going to put motorcycle tires on the front and asked if they sold them there. The sales manager butted in and said "You can't put motorcycle tires on car wheels." I told him I couldn't find car tires for the 4" wide front wheels, and I was not going to buy new front wheels. I won't bore you with the long story that followed. Here's what you need to know. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ferences-between-car-motorcycle-rim-tire.html

You can put a car tire on a motorcycle wheel (could be difficult), but it can work. Look at the illustrations in that link and you will see why you do not want motorcycle tires on car wheels. There are several issues. The sizes are different.....a 15" car tire diameter is not the same as a 15" motorcycle tire diameter....not even close.
I ended up with Mickey Thompson front tires, made for 4" wide car wheels. I think they are rated for 130 mph.

Motorcycle tires aren't cheap either... just replaced one on my Valkyrie.

Sounds like the OP has wire wheels, like Halcrafts.

Think I will take a chance....... design is the key to most applications.

front tyres (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC) (Copy).JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back