Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

For Sale

Can we get an address to send contributions to? I dont use PayPal... I have known too many people get burn buy it and I dont want the webmaster to be one of those people, I will gladly do cashiers check, money order, or check... I will even go so far as to send payment if I have an address to send to.

Webmaster?

Where might I find out about sponsorship on this site? I don't have a ton of advertising budget and don't really make anything for buckets, but would be interested in learning what it takes to participate on that level. :)

judging from the number of e-mails i've gotten in the last hour and a half, i don't think donations will be a problem. but now as before, that seems to me to be a band aid. we need to show mike we are behind him for the long haul.

mike will you keep the site up and running if we, the users, can garintee a cash flow?

with your past performance, i, for one, am very satisfied with the way you're running the show. if you want out of the admistrators position then we will look for an alturnative. i guess what i'm trying to say here is i want you , in some way, to continue to be part of this forum either as an adviser or as the administrator. this is my, and only my, take on the state of what we're up against.

Ron

ok, so my spelling sucks!

OK, are we donating because Mike is going to keep it? Or are we donating temporarily until he dumps it. I need to know before I push the pay now button.

David

RexRod said:
OK, are we donating because Mike is going to keep it? Or are we donating temporarily until he dumps it. I need to know before I push the pay now button.

David

Very good question...............

I would have donated already EXCEPT for that NO DONATION thing I don't want to see this site die either !I'm ready to donate and ready to do something else I have 2 DVDs of New England drag racing in the 50s to early 60s done by the Author of Cool Cars and Square Roll Bars,HAMB guys will know how this works.I will put both these discs up for auction bidding starts at 20$ auction will run 1 week from date of posting at close of auction I will mail the winner the disc anywhere in the U.S.at my expense the money DOES NOT COME TO ME it goes directly to Mike when he lets me know he has the funds in hand I send out the disc to the winner.Right now I'm thinking 1 disc per auction or I can send one each to the 2 highest bidders whats your thinking on this ?

Geez...how did I miss this thread. Just went thru all the posts and I'm ready to make a donation too....just need an address.....not a paypal fan either.

Gee... Talk about timing for me to sign up to the board! But you folks have been great to me and I do appreciate it. And I like positive nature of the board. It's refreshing.
I am not overburdened with $$ and that may even get worse in the coming months as my life "circumstances" change. But... I'll buy some product. Not much, but every shekel will help, I hope. Besides.. those shirts look good.
I feel for Mike. It's not easy to manage this stuff on a good day. Dealing with the public can be a royal pain when they are unreasonable. I did that stuff for 14 years in IT before taking an instructing job 10 years ago, and 15 years or so with car-fixin' before that. Now I'm an IT guy but not into web and message board stuff. If it was networking or hardware repair I might be of some help.
Hopefully something more than a band-aid fix can be figured out.
Giz

I'm up to my neck in alligators at present, but I will be getting usergroup changes made at some point tonight or tomorrow morning, latest. That will get everyone's donor badge forum access squared away.

For those who have ordered t-shirts, they will be headed out in tomorrow's mail. You will receive e-mail notification of the USPS tracking number.

We're suddenly looking smart after the last 36 hours. I appreciate every single donation that has been made, because we were going down without them. We're going to be OK for a stretch. It's when everyone stops kicking in at once that things tight.

I need to make shift or risk losing my job! :shifty:

It's the out of sight out of mind thing. I think there needs to be a way for all users to keep up with the financial disposition of the forum, otherwise over time donations will drop off and we will be right back here again.

I also have no problem with WEB getting paid at least something for his time. If donations and other revenue wont support that I dont think it's reasonable to expect him to hang around.

you have a good point martin. i don't have a problem with that either. mike has a total kit and i'm sure he would rather be putzing with that instead of sittin at his puter. if the donations are what is going to keep the site afloat then we should have a way to see what is on hand. hope you can help us out there mike.

Ron

maybe we can get the admin/webmaster to put us an auction section in the bar and grill... and maybe have it state that its the Auction Block to help support the forum.. actually i think its a great idea..

Just some thoughts........................

I'm a little on the fence about the disclosure thing. I don't feel we need to know all of the financials involved with the running of this site. We just need to know in plenty of time when the site is in need of more donations. If we are given all of the information and it shows that Mike has taken $XX for his services there will be people who will bitch that it's too much. His job maintaining this site is not a $6 per hour job. He has stated in another post that he charges his other customers $50 per hour for his services. Why should we expect him to earn anything less from this site? As long as he is maintaining it and keeping up with the upgrades to provide us with a better forum he will have earned every penny he makes. I stand by the idea that we should pay a $25 per year membership fee with special site access for our paying members. The site could be divided in such a way that non-paying members would have access only to certain parts of the forum. Enough to provide them with information but making them want more. Technical articles could be one area that would only be available for paying members.

Someone pointed out that maybe he should use different software for the forum and brought up Land Speed Racing.com. I am a member of that forum and I like the way it works. The opening page has links to LSR related sites in the left column and in the right column are links to the most recent post. In the center, though, is the part that I think would add a lot to our forum. There are articles written by members about events past and upcoming. There are some T-bucket events coming up throughout the summer and articles written by member/attendees with photos would add a lot of value to the forum. The NTBA event is in a few months and the Buckethead Bash is in July. Not all of us will be able to attend these events but we all could live them through articles and photos. Other events happen all of the time. Our Michigan members could report on the Woodward Avenue thing, Indiana residents could tell us about the Frog Follies. Do we have any rat rodders in the midwest? There's the Hunnert Car Pileup in Illinois. There's also Back to the 50s for the Minnesota members to write about and there are all of the Goodguys and NSRA events that happen all over the country.

Again, just some thoughts.

Brucer said:
maybe we can get the admin/webmaster to put us an auction section in the bar and grill... and maybe have it state that its the Auction Block to help support the forum.. actually i think its a great idea..
look for post by ME this is already being done we just need your bids!Hopefully this will get a sticky so we can run continuous auctions to help support the site since I know stickies are limited we could keep just 1 auction running all the time once one ends the next gets the same sticky.

Financial disclosure isn't going to happen. If the site brings in an amount over and above operating costs, then at the end of the year that becomes income. When it comes to anyone's income, I ain't askin' and I ain't tellin'. ;) Full stop. My grandfather always said to tell another man about your income was no different than pulling your pants down in front of him.

Steve, is this the site you meant? - landracing.com - Home

That portal (MKPortal, I think??) actually isn't as flexible as the one we're using. We can set up an events forum section and post that section to the portal page here, the same as that site is doing. If this is something you think will work, we can set it up pretty easily. It will, of course, require people to submit event news and reports to make it work.

I'm always open to these kinds of ideas. Some of them just aren't possible, but we really can do a lot of things with the software we're using. So let me know your ideas and let's try to implement some of them.

Leon renaud said:
look for post by ME this is already being done we just need your bids!Hopefully this will get a sticky so we can run continuous auctions to help support the site since I know stickies are limited we could keep just 1 auction running all the time once one ends the next gets the same sticky.

What Brucer is asking for is a separate section in the Bar & Grill to go with the Lounge, Introductions, etc., rather than just a post in the Lounge. It would be a lot easier to find the auction items this way rather than having to do a search if the auction isn't displayed with the new posts.

der Spieler said:
What Brucer is asking for is a separate section in the Bar & Grill to go with the Lounge, Introductions, etc., rather than just a post in the Lounge. It would be a lot easier to find the auction items this way rather than having to do a search if the auction isn't displayed with the new posts.
Once it's going you guys do what you feel best with it I just have a link to the lounge so that's where I put it In my limited computer knowledge I though he didn't know it was running i's why I told him check my posts.The only good thing about loosing my job is I get more computer time and I'm sloooooooowly learning some stuff like how to find the front page of a site!:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back