Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford F1 steering Box Reverse Rotation possible

MNTBucket

I've been searching to no avail. On my 23 T the steering pitman arm points down and it bothers me that it is within 3 inches of the pavement. Is there a way to reverse the rotation of it so that the arm can be mounted sticking up. It would not only provide more ground clearance but would raise the steering rod ( drag link?) to be more horizontal rather than angled down from the front end control arm to the pitman arm. I read somewhere you can exchange the guts of a F100 box to do this but I can't find proof. I also know I could use a Vega box but that means fabrication I'm trying to avoid. Any insights or comments would help me. Thanks !

You should be able to rotate the arm on the splines with a little filing on the arm splines.

You can’t just turn the arm to point up. The steering will be backwards. Turn the steering wheel right. The car turns left. And visa versa! Not a good thing. Makes for an interesting drive!!!

Think he covered that by asking how to reverse it....

I bet this eBay seller could set you on the right path.

He rebuilds F1 boxes.

eBay item number:

Thanks for the lead on EBAY. I send them a note. Also thanks for the other suggestions. I'll also review the saginaw reversal link.
Thanks again !

A little encouragement here. I’m building a bucket w cowl steering, not a mechanic, but read instructions that are available about everywhere. I used the box of a 65 F100. The hardest part was drilling a hole exactly in the center of the plug for the steering column. It was messy but all worked out. I’m looking forward to finishing the build and confirm the plan worked...

Welcome, Rusty! What motivated you to pursue the cowl steering arrangement?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back