Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford vs Chevy spindles/brakes

HammerHead

Hi all -

Can anybody tell me if there are any real pros or cons to setting up a front end with Chevy or Ford spindles & brake assemblies? I can see there being preferences if it's what a person has on hand, or what they're used to working on - but outside of that are there any cases where one is better suited than the other? In looking at new parts, they appear to be comparable price-wise, or am I missing something?

Just researching - would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Steve

Really depends on what axle you have. Your axle will have bosses for either a Ford or Chevy spindle. They have different kingpin inclinations. Other than that the brake kits are pretty similar.

As you probably know the spindles do not interchange. The Ford has to go on an axle set up for ford spindle and the same thing with the Chevy. We do have both the Ford and Chevy stuff in stock on the shelf. The Ford spindles we have are only $149.95. The Chevys are $195.00, either come with the king pins and bush kit and are already fit. Checkout our web site for axles and brake kits as well as the steering stuff.

Your missing the steering arms if buying new in many cases,if your planing on running tierod behind or infront of axle,plus type of brakes, may have something to do with your pick of both axle and spindle type.
If your layout means you'll need to run out front with tierod ,then the chev type arms work very well cus they can be fliped to get good Ackerman vs stock Ford would need heating to work rite out front. Both work fine behind,Chevy had fewer brakes to pick from years ago,but new there are lots of kits out there.

RPM - I was browsing your site when the question really came to mind. Knowing that I'm going from scratch, I didn't see a clear advantage to either style. Figured I'd put it out to see what those with experience thought.

Bat - That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I hadn't realized the options on tie-rod placement. Which brings up another question.... What are the advantages or disadvantages associated with placing the tie rod ahead of or behind the axle? Does one way handle any differently than the other? Seems that running it up front might make it a little more vulnerable to damage.

I appreciate your time and patience. I need to get out and see some T's up close, but there's not many in our area. Or if there are, they stay pretty well hidden. I did notice we have a new member (wnarunm) from just down the road. Might have to see if I can finesse an invitation to check his out.

Thanks again for all the great info,
Steve

"Seems that running it up front might make it a little more vulnerable to damage."
Yes,out front is in harms way,plus not were it was design to be if rearsteer spindle arms,so you need to fix the arms design for at lest something close to right ackerman [ look up ackerman steering ]. With Chevy arms,they can just be bolted on fliped over fixing ackerman to front steer vs rear,but the Ford arms need bending out near the hubs/disk,if ya buy arms be sure what there for and were.
I like doing tie rod best behind axle but there are set-ups were there is just no room,some even like the look of out front.

"Seems that running it up front might make it a little more vulnerable to damage."
Yes,out front is in harms way,plus not were it was design to be if rearsteer spindle arms,so you need to fix the arms design for at lest something close to right ackerman [ look up ackerman steering ]. With Chevy arms,they can just be bolted on fliped over fixing ackerman to front steer vs rear,but the Ford arms need bending out near the hubs/disk,if ya buy arms be sure what there for and were.
I like doing tie rod best behind axle but there are set-ups were there is just no room,some even like the look of out front.

That is not exactly correct. The aftermarket Ford spindles do not have the steering arms attached. They bolt on just like the chevys do. We the steering both ways either in front of the axle or behind. Either way works. Here is the back of a Ford spindle.
fordspindle.jpg

"They bolt on just like the chevys do."
Yes Kind of,but not as needed,most Ford type aftermarket add-ons don't have a way of turning around the off set[ackerman] from rear to front to get it the right way,so end up wrong in front .
I've seen some that look like zero ackerman* ether way and thay are much better then having backword ackerman up front of axle at lest.
ZERO ACKERMAN*= is when tie rod hole and king pin hole are both dead strait on a line and paral to brake disk or drum and makes tires stay even when turning vs one tire turns more then the other. This Zero ackerman design is used on some high speed race cars.
It still come down to,if you can do it build it rear steer not out front tierod.

"They bolt on just like the chevys do."
Yes Kind of,but not as needed,most Ford type aftermarket add-ons don't have a way of turning around the off set[ackerman] from rear to front to get it the right way,so end up wrong in front .
I've seen some that look like zero ackerman* ether way and thay are much better then having backword ackerman up front of axle at lest.
ZERO ACKERMAN*= is when tie rod hole and king pin hole are both dead strait on a line and paral to brake disk or drum and makes tires stay even when turning vs one tire turns more then the other. This Zero ackerman design is used on some high speed race cars.
It still come down to,if you can do it build it rear steer not out front tierod.

By simply making PROPER steering arms you can maintain PROPER Ackerman. See the picture below.

IMG_2991.jpg

I see no problem with a front mounted tie rod if you are a good driver and don't try to use it as a bumper (which it is too low for anyhow) or a parking feeler. IMHO

Jim

By simply making PROPER steering arms you can maintain PROPER Ackerman. See the picture below.

IMG_2991.jpg

I see no problem with a front mounted tie rod if you are a good driver and don't try to use it as a bumper (which it is too low for anyhow) or a parking feeler. IMHO

Jim
Those look very good,nice job.

Well, I can say that the Chevy spindles are a little thicker and stronger. The mounting is definately different, BUT there is atleast 2 companies out there that make the GM spindles to mount to the ford axles so that you dont have to waste the $$. Just thought that I would ad that in there

Well, I can say that the Chevy spindles are a little thicker and stronger. The mounting is definately different, BUT there is atleast 2 companies out there that make the GM spindles to mount to the ford axles so that you dont have to waste the $$. Just thought that I would ad that in there

Which companies are they? Might come in handy one day.

We just set up a pair of '46 spindles yesterday on a bucket. Heating and bending is not some majical thing. If you have a Speedway catalog handy, look at the page that has spindles listed. Down in the corner there are diagrams showing how to do it.

Ron

Just for conversation. I have '48 ford spindles and Volkswagen hubs and discs. A custom fender/caliper mount was fabricated for twe on each side Honda 1200cc calipers. Not the run of the mill set-up. lol brakes2.jpgbrakes.jpg

Isn't that against the law to put Honda parts on a Ford ? :) That actually looks like a nice setup, but I would have spent a little time with a die grinder removing H O N D A. :D

Don

Here's my VW set-up on the '46 spindles. A band saw and a drill press where used to make the caliper mounts and steering arms;

discbrake001Small.jpg

discbrake003Small.jpg

discbrake002Small.jpg

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back