Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Forums not being marked as "read"

Keeper

I have run into this since the last update (the one prior to this morning)

When I read a forum it is not marking the forum as read. It will show that there are new posts in a forum that I have already read.

This happens on all my systems not just the one. I run Firefox on all of them with the ---Redbar theme.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

B

When you read a thread, are you using the Back button to get back to the forum display, or do you use the forumjump menu (bottom of the page) or the navigation breadcrumb (in the NavBar) to return?

If you're clicking the Back button, or using right-click Back, then the marking might be off until you've logged out and then log back in.

Either way it will not change. I know the back button will not change the status, but I can leave the website, come back later or even tomorrow and it will still have them with new posts.

I haven't played around with IE maybe I will see if it is a firefox thing.

Do you have your cookies turned off? I think the site writes it too a cookie and if they are turned off it might not register.

Just a thought.

Actually, the threads are not not marked read via a cookie or inactivity.

They are marked by using the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

I've tested the system using Firefox 3 and Opera 9 in Linux, OS X and Windows. I've tested it with IE in Windows. I've tested it with Safari in Windows and OS X. I'm using a different ISP at the moment and have tried IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari on two different Windows boxes. All properly mark the threads as read. Five different computers, three different operating systems, four different browsers and two different ISP's and everything works as it should.

At that, I have to think the issue is client-side. But I've no idea of what to suggest to you.

That is odd. It does it to every one of my systems, work or home. All using XP Pro and Firefox 3. Weird.

It marks the threads as read, what it is not doing is marking the Subforum as read. So once all the threads in a forum are read if I leave the site and come back it still shows new messages in that forum.

Its not a huge issue just thought I would pass it along.

Keeper said:
So once all the threads in a forum are read if I leave the site and come back it still shows new messages in that forum.
You may have already tried this, but note this bit from my earlier post -

Webmaster said:
They are marked by using the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.
If you read the last unread thread in a forum and then log out from the showthread page, the read marker won't be placed on that forum.

Beyond this, I'm not sure what could be happening. I'm trying to look into it, but I'm yet to uncover any instances of this happening. If I can find something, I'll be sure to post.

Okay I see what you are saying.

Here is how I got it to work.

1. Open forum with new posts.
2. Read all posts.
3. Leave forum - it still shows new posts.
4. Reenter forum to list posts.
5. Leave forum - it marks forum as read.

Again its not a huge issue just thought I would pass it along.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back