Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Found Another T on the Island

Island Girl

Through some strange coincidence, I found there's another T on the island here . . . . :)

A guy with an auto service shop got it, I believe in an estate sale, or something like that.

It looks like maybe a 70's era build and needs tons of TLC and some serious refurbishing on the wooden floor, as it looks to have sat unused for many, many years.

Below are a few pics, I was hoping you guys might know who made the frame, as it's got coil-overs in front that look like it came that way . . . looks to be 2" by 3" frame rails.

Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John's T 1.jpg

John's T 2.jpg

John's T 3.jpg

John's T 4.jpg

Now you have a reason to make yours go fast! You can’t let that guy beat you
down the back roads. Are there any back roads?

That looks like the plans Car Craft used on a build they did. The rear should have the same design. That is or was a high dollar radiator. May be Wellborn or something. Front wheels may be a
Little newer. I think wires back then were 18” those look like 16” to me. That was a good find. Have you seen asked to him?

That looks like the plans Car Craft used on a build they did. The rear should have the same design. That is or was a high dollar radiator. May be Wellborn or something. Front wheels may be a
Little newer. I think wires back then were 18” those look like 16” to me. That was a good find. Have you seen asked to him?

The fronts are 16", look to be Harley with the old aftermarket Performance Machine itty bitty puck caliper. The rear looks to be a Ford, maybe a 9", but not sure.

Rear suspension look just like the front, same kind of pads and coil-overs.

Battery is under the seat which sits pretty high. I didn't look that close, but it doesn't seem to have the body channeled.

Yes, that's a departure from the normal leaf spring front end on most T-buckets. I guess those coil springs mounted in those little buckets aren't really a 'coil over' setup, where the shock body carries the lower mounting point for the spring, which allows more freedom of motion from the spring/shock combo. I've seen a lot of rear axles supported this way, but not many fronts. I also see he has a steering stabilizer mounted, which tells me that there must have been some front end stability problems at one time. Those aren't really necessary on a properly arranged front end. Just sayin' . . . Anyway, 'be fun to get that one runnin' again and have a cruising buddy, eh?

Yes, that's a departure from the normal leaf spring front end on most T-buckets. I guess those coil springs mounted in those little buckets aren't really a 'coil over' setup, where the shock body carries the lower mounting point for the spring, which allows more freedom of motion from the spring/shock combo. I've seen a lot of rear axles supported this way, but not many fronts. I also see he has a steering stabilizer mounted, which tells me that there must have been some front end stability problems at one time. Those aren't really necessary on a properly arranged front end. Just sayin' . . . Anyway, 'be fun to get that one runnin' again and have a cruising buddy, eh?

I'm hoping the owner, John, joins us here on the forums.

Would be nice to follow his progress. . . . . I don't know what his overall plan is . . . whether he wants to just spend a minimal amount and have it drivable, or spend more and actually restore it or restomod it.

I might guess that once it's drivable, the magic will kick in and he'll want to cherry it up.

A good friend has one with the same front suspension, he used the Car Craft magazine plans.

At one time Car Craft published a book containing all the articles from the magazine. I had one in my files (plastic boxes). I will look to see if I can find it after the weather brakes.

At one time Car Craft published a book containing all the articles from the magazine. I had one in my files (plastic boxes). I will look to see if I can find it after the weather brakes.

I don't know if Car Craft and Hot Rod were sister publications, but some googling led me to Hot Rod year book 13 as a potential source for the Car Craft plans after their original car craft publication.

From the overall look, and unfortunate toll the years have taken, it could quite possibly be a late 60's / early 70's build.

Maybe as he goes thru the titling and registration process, more will be revealed.

Here's another example of a coil sprung front axle. Don't know anything about the car other than the pic.

Coil spring FS.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back