Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Free Cad Programs

fluidfloyd

Not sure what heading this should go under but since I consider design programs to be tools I will park them here. If in the wrong location then I'm sure the right person will move this to the appropriate location.

As some of you might know I use a 2 D drawing program on a daily basis. When I have time (which is seldom) I work at learning Solidworks. Solidworks is not a free program but there are a few out there for the taking. Although I have not tried either of these two programs I thought some of you might like the opportunity to try your creative hand in the solid modeling world. I hope that this will be of some use to some of you. Keep us posted as to your efforts and progress. Good luck.

George

This is a 3 D program.
http://www.freecadweb.org/

This is a 2 D Sketching program. Not sure how it works in comparison to a 2 D drawing program such as Autocad or Draftsight but it looks interesting. I might have to play with this one myself.

http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/2d-cad/sketch/download

I have been threatening myself to take some cad classes at the local vo-tech, but keep putting it off. I have tried to self teach myself, but not to good of luck with that. I use a simple program, that I call cad for dummies that works well for most of the things that I need. It don't let me be very creative for the car stuff. I will take a look at the above sites you posted.
Thanks, Lee

George,

This is great information. Thanks.

I use SolidWorks 2012 everyday and although it's a fantastic piece of software, it's very expensive for personal use. If you can get your hands on a copy of SolidWorks 2007 or older, those versions were allowed to be shared freely. I use 2007 at home but I don't have the original copy so when my system crashed (and it will) I'll lose it. Also a supplier of mine told me that if you are a veteran and are not going to use it for profit, you can down load a likely watered down version of SolidWorks for very little money. I'll see if I can find out more and post.

I'm a little concerned with sending my DD 214 info. That seems like a good way to get ID stolen.

EDIT: Just read more into it and they clearly say "Blacken SS number". I feel better. Going for it! John

ORF, If your concerned about providing your military information, you should be able to down load a standard student edition for approximately $90 on the web. If I remember correctly, the full blown SW seat is $4500:eek:

For some 3D models try GrabCad. Not sure if the are all free, but the ones I have downloaded were so far. You will have to sign up for an account. Some of the models are already animated.

If you click on the Advanced Search, then you select the "Automotive" category.

https://grabcad.com/library/most-liked?per_page=100

GrabCadSearch01.JPG

GrabCadSearch02.JPG

I used 3DS Max for many years, but the last version I bought was 2010 so I can model a pipeline explosion in Carlsbad NM. Twelve people in the same family died when a 30" natural gas pipeline at 600 psi exploded.

The fire was 497 feet high.

Fire.png

There are about 10 people standing around the crater.

Crater02.jpg

Last edited:
ORF, If your concerned about providing your military information, you should be able to down load a standard student edition for approximately $90 on the web. If I remember correctly, the full blown SW seat is $4500:eek:

Mike,

Before anyone spends money for the student version they need to check and see if there is a time limit for use once you install it. I had a 2003 Student Edition and it was good for 6 months best I can remember. Once you loaded it the clock was running. You could load it on as many different computers as you wanted but you couldn't reload it on the same computer twice. I was told it loaded something on your registry that would recognize a second attempt. I real wiz kid could probably get around it or you could reformat your hard drive and start from scratch I guess. Also you were not allowed to use it commercially and to help enforce that policy there was a water mark that would be show whenever you printed down drawings. I have SW 2003 but will go to Version 2010 when I get home. I think with Version 2006 they added the Weldment Tool and from what I understand it is a lot easier to model tubular trusses as in chassis! I figured to get Ver 10 so as to give them a few years to correct any bugs. Great program if you have a use for it and can afford/beg/rob or barter a copy. Good luck everybody and do keep us in formed.

George

Let me get this straight - you are actually talking about spending real money, to purchase software? ;)

(And no, I am not hinting or implying that anyone pirate software from anyone else. One of the biggest scams going is how people try to procure a student ID from someone else, in order to get a cheap copy of Microsoft Office. Personally, I don't care how low the price tag gets on Office, LibreOffice is still free. I do not own any pirated software, full stop.)

QCAD - 2D CAD for Windows, Mac, and Linux (available in the Arch Community repository)

FreeCAD - Parametric 3D CAD modeler for Windows, Mac, and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

Open CASCADE - 3D modeling for Windows, Mac, and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

Cycas - 2D and 3D modeling for Windows and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

BRL-CAD - 3d modeler for Windows, Mac, BSD, Solaris, and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

And these are just a few free and open source options that I know are available for my Arch Linux systems, and available for install with just a couple of simple commands.

It's amazing how you really don't have to find ways around any mulberry bushes, anymore, because there are always a handful of FOSS options.

Let me get this straight - you are actually talking about spending real money, to purchase software? ;)

(And no, I am not hinting or implying that anyone pirate software from anyone else. One of the biggest scams going is how people try to procure a student ID from someone else, in order to get a cheap copy of Microsoft Office. Personally, I don't care how low the price tag gets on Office, LibreOffice is still free. I do not own any pirated software, full stop.)

QCAD - 2D CAD for Windows, Mac, and Linux (available in the Arch Community repository)

FreeCAD - Parametric 3D CAD modeler for Windows, Mac, and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

Open CASCADE - 3D modeling for Windows, Mac, and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

Cycas - 2D and 3D modeling for Windows and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

BRL-CAD - 3d modeler for Windows, Mac, BSD, Solaris, and Linux (available in the Arch User Repository)

And these are just a few free and open source options that I know are available for my Arch Linux systems, and available for install with just a couple of simple commands.

It's amazing how you really don't have to find ways around any mulberry bushes, anymore, because there are always a handful of FOSS options.

Mike...I didn't mean for anyone to download a illegal program as some of the better known ones have been known to send you a notice that you are running a copy of ill gotten version and they will come after you. As for paying the $20.00 for Solidworks Student Version....Well worth the money if you want to learn the industry standard for future employment. They use to give it away or include it with one of their text books they sold at the student bookstores. If I didn't already have Solidworks I would be looking at a free version for sure. By sticking with the engineering world standards it is much easier to find local one on one help while trying to learn it and I need all the help I can get. Hope that clears the air a bit. Take care.

George

For some 3D models try GrabCad. Not sure if the are all free, but the ones I have downloaded were so far. You will have to sign up for an account. Some of the models are already animated.

If you click on the Advanced Search, then you select the "Automotive" category.

https://grabcad.com/library/most-liked?per_page=100

View attachment 10589

View attachment 10591

I used 3DS Max for many years, but the last version I bought was 2010 so I can model a pipeline explosion in Carlsbad NM. Twelve people in the same family died when a 30" natural gas pipeline at 600 psi exploded.

The fire was 497 feet high.

View attachment 10593

There are about 10 people standing around the crater.

View attachment 10592

Indycars...Grabcad is free and you are right as to registering. There are several others that offer models and 2D cad drawings of a number of things. I just found a side view of a HueyUH-1 gunship and it is a big file. You just never know what you will find out there.

George

Mike...I didn't mean for anyone to download a illegal program...
I understood what you were saying, George. No problem, here. I was just teasing you about bargain-priced software. ;) Mind, I am the guy who thinks software should be free.

A lot of people look at software prices and their first move is to try to pirate the software. That, as I keep saying, is one of the beauties of Linux. There is no need to pirate anything, because nearly every bit of software is absolutely free. A lot of people don't see the harm in pirating a bit of software, but if you can get something for free, without any future consequences, then there is no need to pirate.

An online pal of mine, Ken Starks, owns and operates a company called Reglue. Ken collects old computer systems, wipes the drives, installs Linux on them and then donates them to schools, boys clubs and needy individuals. Ken has a couple of mottoes, one being that he is 'deleting the digital divide, one computer at a time'. The other says 'a child's exposure to technology should never be predicated by the ability to afford it'. Ken is fighting an ongoing battle with cancer, but he is hard at work, nearly 7 days a week, collecting, refurbishing and distributing computer systems.

I feel the same way about software. Why pay outrageous prices for Microsoft Office, or why pirate (read: steal) a copy, when you can just surf over to LibreOffice's Web site and download a fully functional office suite for free? And it is not just a fully functional office suite, it is also compatible with Microsoft Office. Someone like myself, who could never afford PhotoShop, can get along just fine using the GIMP. PhotoShop users says the GIMP is useless. Maybe if everyone were taught how to use offerings like the GIMP, there would be less need to spend huge dollars for alternative solutions, I don't know. When I don't have to spend money on office software or image editing software, I can easily afford commercial, secure e-mail alternatives that make others scream like mashed cats. I just like helping people find ways to keep older computer viable, without spending piles of cash on them.

I understood what you were saying, George.
George. No problem, here.

I know...but like I have said many times here, "Your House, Your Rules! Thanks for having me."

Why pay outrageous prices for Microsoft Office, or why pirate (read: steal) a copy, when you can just surf over to LibreOffice's Web site and download a fully functional office suite for free?

I do have this and I have another version of some flavor on the Windows side of my hard drive. And no, I didn't download it. That is why you have smart a smart son!

A lot of people look at software prices and their first move is to try to pirate the software.

Probably just in their nature and everyday life. Easier to sit in the security of their home and grab it then go work a little bit more and buy it.

An online pal of mine, Ken Starks, owns and operates a company called Reglue. Ken collects old computer systems, wipes the drives, installs Linux on them and then donates them to schools, boys clubs and needy individuals. Ken has a couple of mottoes, one being that he is 'deleting the digital divide, one computer at a time'. The other says 'a child's exposure to technology should never be predicated by the ability to afford it'. Ken is fighting an ongoing battle with cancer, but he is hard at work, nearly 7 days a week, collecting, refurbishing and distributing computer systems.

Mike...Sounds like a great and caring man. Probably not really recognized for his greatness but probably not concerned about that anyway!

George

One of my hobbies is 3D printing/CNC, so I mess around a bit with CAD. I still suck at it right now... But I'm learning... I have access to solidworks and autocad through my job, and they are very powerful and great pieces of software. But I've also been impressed with the newest version of FreeCAD. It's a download away and certainly worth a try...

If your an old programmer and understand numbers better than planes, and want to work with solid models then OpenSCAD will get you by for the simple stuff...

One of my projects I'm working on is converting an old set of 3" Bakelite gauges to stepper motor driven analog gauges for my T.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back