Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Friction Shocks

Dan the Man

Is anyone using friction shocks on the front end. I built mine with them and so far have had on complaint, although I have only driven it about 5 miles.

I just bought mine, haven't mounted them yet still debating location.
I was going to use the Hadullia shocks I got at a swap meet but they needed work and they are expensive to have fixed.
I got the offenhauser ones from speedway.

What kind of speeds did you drive, if you never got over 40 mph and hit a bump then
it's not really a good test.

I don't have friction shocks.

I've put MANY miles on my T with friction shacks with no problems. As a matter of fact, if you did not see them and I took you for a ride you'd never know.

Jim

I've put MANY miles on my T with friction shacks with no problems. As a matter of fact, if you did not see them and I took you for a ride you'd never know.

Jim
That's good to hear. I'm working out how to combine friction shocks with an upper control link to complement quarter elliptic springs. Should keep things very clean in the suspension.

That's good to hear. I'm working out how to combine friction shocks with an upper control link to complement quarter elliptic springs. Should keep things very clean in the suspension.

I also have a quarter elliptic spring set up that is mostly hidden by the frame rails. All and all, with the friction shocks it makes for a very clean look.

Jim

I used the Offenhauser ones from Speedway. Had to make my own brackets. So far I have been up to 80 mph and no issues. I can see the front end move and it seems to be rather responsive. Most of my friends question me as to why there are no front shocks. I have to show and explain them to everyone. I have more issues with the rear standard shocks bottoming out. Going to remount them with a little more compression travel. Hoping they are not too weak.

If you have ever had the front axle bounce from left to right at speed you will know why shocks of any kind that work is needed. Trust me I know as I built one without any shocks and at high speeds it would do the BOOGALOO and scare the bjesus out of you before you could get the car stopped

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back