Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Camera

409T

Staff member
My winter project has the top chopped far enough that it is hard to see a stop light when the car is first in line at a red light. I was planning to fix this by mounting a camera on the front of the engine and have the picture from the camera display on a 12" monitor inside the car. I can get this to work, but the display of the stop light on the screen is so small that I can't see if the light is green, red or what. I think I need a 12 volt camera that has a zoom lens. Any ideas? For those interested, here is a link to the car I am writing about 1930 Model A Sedan Delivery

Wow! That's quite a project. I love what you've done with the Model A Tudor, and an old school hemi for motorvation is the bomb! :thumbsup:

shopping.png This is what I use in my 2 chopped hot rods. Try to find an old original maybe on Ebay. Most of the new ones are badly distorted. The one in the photo is a Speedway unit which is kinda junk, but better than nothing. Most do not have the magnetic base like the one pictured.

Had a friend with a real chopped ‘34 and he would angle to right and look out the side window. Stop short of the intersection if you are first in line. Chopped tops are worth the effort!

I was planning to fix this by mounting a camera on the front of the engine and have the picture from the camera display on a 12" monitor inside the car. I can get this to work, but the display of the stop light on the screen is so small that I can't see if the light is green, red or what.
Seems you might be so low and far enough forward that you have a poor view of the stop light. Could you mount the camera at the top of the windshield for a better view?

I know a guy who owns this chopped '50 Merc.

See how the windshield was cut a bit taller?

He says he has no trouble seeing traffic lights.

50-Merc-1.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back