Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front end bounce issue

tmaxxman21

i have a total performance 23T. with the leaf spring front end, no shocks, 7.50x15 tires... when i hit about 55-60mph the front end starts to bounce and ill see daylight under the front tires. or under real heavy acceleration.. i've tried different air pressure in the tires.. any other ideas or comments?? thanks

I had the same problem. I got the fronts spin-balanced on the car and that helped a lot, but didn't totally eliminate. Added shocks and no bounce now.

is that a weld on kit? for adding shocks? havnt really looked into it.. thanks

it doesnt happen to my cousins either.. but i figured it was cuz he had a 6-71 so it weighed the front end down more

My set-up is bolt-on. You can get the raw steel parts from Ron Pope (click on the RPM sponsor icon above).

FrontShocks006.jpg

FrontShocks005.jpg

If you are thinking friction shocks due to cost don't do it. This does not seem to help all of the bounce. Hydraulic shocks are the answer.

If your frame is T.P. , it should have 5/8 " bolts in the ends of the crossmember , T.P. used to have a kit that utilized those bolts. I'm sure someone on here has pic's , or check w/ Wintec , they may have it.

dave

If your frame is T.P. , it should have 5/8 " bolts in the ends of the crossmember , T.P. used to have a kit that utilized those bolts. I'm sure someone on here has pic's , or check w/ Wintec , they may have it.

dave

i have a total performance 23T. with the leaf spring front end, no shocks, 7.50x15 tires... when i hit about 55-60mph the front end starts to bounce and ill see daylight under the front tires. or under real heavy acceleration.. i've tried different air pressure in the tires.. any other ideas or comments?? thanks
get rid of those mt bias on front and add shocks and you will be ok. i never had the mt s o n the front but my brother in law did and his bounced even with the shocks. my bounced also untill i added shocks now good at 110 mph

I have the M/T Sportsman bias frontrunners and hydraulic shocks on my car with no bounce at 60 mph. Here's a thought on that. With stock steel or alloy wheels they are designed to fit the hub on the spindle or axle. With aftermarket wheels designed for a universal fit you don't have that hub to center the wheel so is it possible to have enough play around the lug nuts to allow enough off centering to allow a little wheel bounce? I noticed this especially when mounting the rear tires on my car. Maybe someone could just loosen up the lug nuts a little and spin the wheel and hope it helps to center it a little better. I don't know if this could be a problem or not but is just a thought.

I built my first hotrod back in 1976 (1915 Ford C-Cab replica) using T-bucket frame plans in Car Craft magazine. When I first hit the road with it, it had no front shocks; the frontend jittered and shook and bounced all over the road. It wasn't uncontrollable, but just mildly unpleasant. After about six months on the road, I put shocks on it and the difference was amazing. It was stable and smooth and fun to drive. Since then I have used both friction shocks and conventional (hydraulic) shocks with good results. I have never built another car without shocks, and probably never will.

40 psi? Does it absorb bumps at this setting?
I'm running 21 psi for a smooter ride, still rides like a buck board, I will test and see but dont think this is an ideal setting.

It has been my experance that if you are using your tires for a more comfotable ride you need to redo your suspension. I run 30psi in the front and 15 in the rear tires. Front Hyd. shocks on the front and double adjustable coil overs in the rear worked for me..............

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back