Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front end help

ljcms

I have just inherited a incomplete build on a t-bucket kit. My first issue is that I have the front end, from what I have researched, that came from a '63 Econoline van. I have the kingpin and spindles but no wheel hubs. I would like to have it set up with disc brakes. I am not sure if this is possible with this setup or if I need to switch out the front end.

Hi there, Welcome aboard from the sunny Caribbean . . .

Incomplete can be anywhere from lacking a few small items to only having a few small items.

If you try to be as detailed as possible about what you have, what's the approximate age and skill level and budget level it was started with and as much general and specific info as you can, it will help you get your post count up so that you can then post some pics once you hit 10 posts.

Also think about what you'd like to do with your new project, lots of variables here . . . . spend as little as possible to get it drivable or restore it to its period correct greatness

The more we know, the more accurate or useful the feedback we can provide.

Darlene

Welcome from St Louis! I believe Total Performance used Econoline parts in their t-bucket front ends, but I could be wrong. Speedway Motors bought them out several years ago, and would be a good source to help ID your parts and recommend a suitable disc brake kit.

id-spindle.gif

Thanks for the info so far. The car is definitely a Total performance kit. I got the car about a year ago. It had been sitting for almost 15 years. It has a 289 that I have spent the last several months rebuilding. The front end is on the car is complete out to the front wheels. I have talked with speedway several times over the last weeks to see if there is a kit they have that will match with the Econoline kingpins and spindles and nothing seems like it will work. I am fairly adept and engine work and the electrical part of the car but am a complete newb when it comes to the wheels and brakes on the car. If I could have found the wheel hubs then I feel I could been up and running. Of course they had to use a setup that is very popular in the classic car scene and there are none that I have found in any of the junkyards around my area or even on the Western side of the USA. I have gotten to the point now to see if I new a new axle that will support a more standard Ford spindle that I could then add a front brake kit to. This is my first build so if I am short on info it might just be I am not asking the correct questions.

CALL RPM and ask if he has a brake setup with new spindles and such for that axle. You will have to take it apart to measure the boss ends length and the king pin diameter for it could have been changed. I have seen spacers and kits made to make up the difference in width for the bosses.

RPM has complete axle kits that will/can replace what you have.

It's tough to do without TP and Micky and his parts that are hard to replace, but it's only money.

I have just inherited a incomplete build on a t-bucket kit. My first issue is that I have the front end, from what I have researched, that came from a '63 Econoline van. I have the kingpin and spindles but no wheel hubs. I would like to have it set up with disc brakes. I am not sure if this is possible with this setup or if I need to switch out the front end.
Send me some pics of what you got. I think I have what you need.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back