Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front seal leak, bad balancer

rubicon

My front seal started leaking after a couple hundred miles. Pulled the balancer off yesterday without any problems. Today I made a tool to install the seal worked real good. Started cleaning up the balancer and found out why it was leaking. Surface on balancer is pitted and rusty. It ate the seal lip. Question I have is, has anyone every put a replacement sleeve on their balancer and what process should I follow in doing so?

They take a touch to get on. Best I recall, it comes with a locktite to keep the sleeve in place. Start the sleeve on square. I used a short plank of wood and gave it a couple of smacks in the middle. Use a big enough hammer. I personally did not want to do a tap, tap, tap,,,, If you have a press, I would bet it would work well.

They are ok, you can damage them very easily when installing. Soft wood will help. Clean the area to be covered well and use fine grit emery cloth and some solvent. If the sleeve is too tight, try putting it in the oven for a few minutes and the balancer in the freezer. This will expand the sleeve and reduce the balancer sizes. Use adhesive, locktight, etc. make sure that you liberally prelube the new seal.

Thanks. I found a sleeve that comes with a tool for mounting it. Sleeve & tool $10. Put sealer on it and tapped it down. How do I know I have the balancer on all the way. How do I hold the shaft and torque it?

The balancer should flush with the end of the crankshaft. the washer under the bolt will pull it down flush. If you have an auto trans, you might be able to use a strap wrench on the outside of the balancer, OR drop the inspection cover on the trans and use a flat bar to lock the flywheel. Obviously a 2 man job. If you have a st shift trans, put it in 3 or 4th gear and have someone hold the brakes.

I don't think I've ever seen a crank snout even w/ a damper , mines abot 7/8" inside , crank it down w/the installer , check pulley alignment , if good ,put the bolt in & torque it.....don't forget a little ol on the seal so it doesnt dry start & damage it

That's what I did. Took T for a short run today and found a new problem. When I make a right turn and only on right turn there is something vibrating. I can hear it and feel it in the steering. I checked the wheel bearings and the seem tight. An ideas what could cause this. Only right turns.

Wheel hop?

When I make a right turn and only on right turn there is something vibrating. I can hear it and feel it in the steering. I checked the wheel bearings and the seem tight. An ideas what could cause this. Only right turns.

Check all the steering components to see if any are binding or rubbing when the wheels are turned to the right. There could still be a broken bearing or other component in the wheel bearings that won't show up on a quick visual inspection. Take 'em off and repack. (And use plenty of GREASE! . . . don't ask me how I know!!!:sick::rolleyes:)

The balancer should flush with the end of the crankshaft. the washer under the bolt will pull it down flush. If you have an auto trans, you might be able to use a strap wrench on the outside of the balancer, OR drop the inspection cover on the trans and use a flat bar to lock the flywheel. Obviously a 2 man job. If you have a st shift trans, put it in 3 or 4th gear and have someone hold the brakes.

I don't think I've ever seen a crank snout even w/ a damper , mines abot 7/8" inside , crank it down w/the installer , check pulley alignment , if good ,put the bolt in & torque it.....don't forget a little ol on the seal so it doesnt dry start & damage it

That's the important part.

I learn something new every day from you guys.

Thanks for all the info. I put on the sleeve and so far no leak. If it not raining tomorrow I'll give it another run. How do you "quote"?

Click on "Reply" on any of the posts.

Put about 200 miles on the T after i fixed the leaks. The second leak was the cover where the mechanical fuel pump would have been. Lots of pitting on the face of the block. RTV gasket seems to be working.

Thanks for all the info. I put on the sleeve and so far no leak. If it not raining tomorrow I'll give it another run. How do you "quote"?

Click on "quote", then click on "reply".

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back