Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Suspension Issues

Daimyo68

1923 T-Bucket

Not long ago, I brought the T to my shop where I work to fix some cooling issues, along with a couple small leaks, and in the process stumbled across some frame and suspension issues.

The front of the frame had cracked around the front crossmember on both sides, and I found that the front suspension is out of square as well as not sitting level on both sides.

I took care of the frame with gussets and additional welding, problem solved there.

Ride height (Measured in same location on both sides):
Pass side is sitting at 8 5/8" ride height
Driver side is sitting at 9" ride height
I'm assuming this is due to a spring issue

The next thing is the front shocks, and possibly the front axle not being centered? Maybe due to the leaf spring issue?
The driver side shock can be mounted without issue, but the passenger side cannot. I've attached some images for reference.

It also seems that maybe the front right radias arm bracket may be bent, possibly causing the issue with the shock not being able to be mounted

I haven't found much info yet on the front suspension and leveling issues, but have a basic grasp of how it works.

Any info is appreciated

GPwMPHT

ucLHIFM

Attachments

• 20171120_182232.jpg
    20171120_182232.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20171120_182228.jpg
    20171120_182228.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 96
I'd take everything apart and go through it.

I had the entire front end off to make repairs to the frame, when i put it back together thats when i started seeing the other issues, didnt take notice before removinf the parts, so im not 100% sure if it was an issue before.

The front end came off as an assembly, and was rolled out of the way to do the frame repairs, so nothing changed with heim joints adjustments etc.

I did square the front axle to the frame when i started looking closer at the frobt suspension issues, but it did not make any difference with the ride height or shock issue

The shock bushings will compensate for the bit of mis-alignment you're showing...shocks being that far from vertical can't be very effective.....tthink of your axle/hairpin assy's as being large sway bars [ they are ] perhaps some adjustment would help correct your ride height issues...just to add a bit more , you need to square/align the rear axle to the frame then align the front axle to the rear axle....

Last edited:
X2 on the rear axle. Also does the spring have a centre hole/dowel. Is it central to the perch and is the perch in the middle of the front X member. A simple disc would take up the space between the shocks and their mounts taking the 'twist' out of them.

I will check the geometry of the rear axle and then square up the front to it.

I di have the thought that the hairpins could possibly raise the right side some. I will try that once i have the axles squared, and I make my camber adjustments.

The front shocks were at even more of an angle previously, as i believe the shock brackets were bolted on backwards. I think im going to make new brackets, as these are 9" shocks, and they are 90% compressed already. I can place the upper mounting hole more forward while machining them.

The front spring does have a centering dowel, and the perch is centered on the Xmember. I did measure from the ends of the perch to the the radias arm brackets on both sides, and there is an 1/8" difference, with the passenger side having the extra. As mentioned, i think maybe the bracket is bent on the front axle.

Jack your car up and level it, ( I use trailer/camper jack stands, the ones that have an adjustable screw that raises), front to back and left to right front and rear. See if the frame has a twist to it. Square the rear end, then the front. The "ears" on the bat wings, where the clevis's bolt on should be bent or tipped in so when you bolt on the radius rods, you don't have to fight with the R/R to line up to the rear (frame) mount, NO extra undue side pressure on the cleves's when you bolt things up, but the spring shackle "ear" should be @ 90* to the axle.

Ok, havent done much, been completing the frame and prepping it for the paint shop.

Anyways, I checked the sqaureness? of the rear axle, and found there is a 1/2" difference between the 2 sides, from the axle tube to the eye of the heim joint where it bolts to it's mount. I've searched for some info on how to make these measurements, but havent found anything substantial as of yet, so with the image I have below, am I measuring at the correct spots?

rear2.jpg

What that means is you are 1/4 inch out of square. To square it you lengthen the short side 1/4 and shorten the long side 1/4 that should get you close. You probably could do this with shortening and lengthening the radius rods. I would try to figure out which end is out the front or the back. Find something fixed on the frame and measure from front and rear.

Take both radius rods off, lay them on top of each other and see the difference. What's the measurement from front tire to rear (centers)? I think I have an artical some where showing how and the steps to take to square a frame , I'll look when I get home from work.

I used the eye/center of the heim joint bolt as a reference point since it is tight in it bracket when i measured, following what was said earlier in this thread.

Hope ya find that article

Also measure front right to left back and front left to right back. They should be the same give or take. Mine was 2mm out, which is good enough.

Check the brackets you are measuring to and make sure one is not farther down the frame than the other, that would mess you up right from the beginning. Cross measure as a final check as @Gerry said, it will be the most accurate. After you put in the front axle it is a good idea to cross measure it with the rear axle housing to make sure the two are parallel. Those two being parallel to each other is more important than being perfectly perpendicular to the frame.

Hope ya find that article

O.K. , I found a couple of articles, One from CCR titled "Chassis Alignment, Dimensioning" and another one from NTBA titled "Get it square and straight". I have hard copies of these and I tried to look for them online but couldn't, maybe someone else can? I don't want to scan them so DON"T ask. Maybe Jerry can chime in and tell us or at least tell us who to make the check out to ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back