Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front wheel size

Steve Schaefer

I’m finishing up my front end and I need help with the wheels. I have 37-48 spindles with midsize gm calipers and rotors. I need some recommendations on wheel size, backspacing and offset. Any help would be great.

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but it boils down to the look you're after. In my case, I wanted a pretty substantial amount of rubber on the road for safety purposes, plus I like the "big-n-littles" look. So I opted for 14" x 6" wheels in the front (15" x 10" rears), with 185/60 x 14 radial front tires. It works for me.

D.jpg

I like that look to, do I need to be worried about offset and backspacing. So many wheel shops out there. I just don’t want to order something and get stuck with it if it doesn’t fit

Most of the custom wheel makers will ask you what calipers you are using when you place an order. If not, just tell them what hubs and calipers you have. I used Wheel Vintiques and they asked me.

I like that look to, do I need to be worried about offset and backspacing. So many wheel shops out there. I just don’t want to order something and get stuck with it if it doesn’t fit

When I first ordered my 15 x 15 rear wheels I figured the back spacing wrong. Too close to the body.

Summit Racing exchanged them with no pain involved and no hassles.

In fact, they sent out the correct ones as I was sending back the others.

Thanks for all the help guys, got laid off so progress came to a screeching halt!!! Lol

Bummer! Hope you can keep doing things that don't require cash. Time spent doing small items that need doing on your project will save time later after you get back in the saddle. Plus, it will help keep your motivation up. Let us know how we an help. Lot of experience to tap into at this site.

I should have copied ORF's post. I meant that I am using 3" front wheels and large back ones. Most of the braking is done with the rears. My neighbor used to have a set of Dayton
(I think) wire wheels that he wanted to sell, I'll check.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back