Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel prices

Spanky

Staff member
I have noticed a negative effect of the high fuel prices on our hobby. Participation in regional/national events is diminishing because many simply can't afford the travel expense. I myself am aware of driving my T only when I really want to and avoid some of the small excursions that I used to make in the bucket. Anyone else noticing a change?

We cancelled a trip to a San Diego car show because the round trip was going to cost over $500 in gas towing a trailer with 2 t-buckets. This is especially irritating to me. My family has oil property that was producing in the 1960's, and then production stopped a decade or so later because oil prices fell, and the wells were temporarily capped. Now with the price of oil nearly triple what it was when the wells were capped it makes plenty of financial sense to reopen them and start producing to help the country's oil dependency / shortage. There are numerous independent oil companies around who would like to do this, especially with oil prices over $100 per barrel, but the powers that be will not allow permits to reopen the wells.

On my drive out to ORF house, I was thinking just the opposite. People were just flying by me when I'm doing 65 mph and the speed limit is 75 mph. I guess if they were worried about the cost they stayed home otherwise it was pedal to the metal.

If you could only believe one side or the other. The president says we’re are very dependent on foreign oil and that’s the reason for the shortage and sky high prices. All while the oil companies are making boatloads of profit! Then there was someone on one of the cable news channels stating that we have plenty of oil here in the states but they won’t allow them to pump it out of the ground. who’s right? F**k if I know!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed a negative effect of the high fuel prices on our hobby. Participation in regional/national events is diminishing because many simply can't afford the travel expense.
No, but I have noticed that the wife is having a noticeable effect on my participation !!!

If you could only believe one side or the other. The president says we’re are very dependent on foreign oil and that’s the reason for the shortage and sky high prices. All while the oil companies are making boatloads of profit! Then there was someone on one of the cable news channels stating that we have plenty of oil here in the states but they won’t allow them to pump it out of the ground. who’s right? F**k if I know!!

They are closing the fields in Alaska, and using up the reserves that the last President built up. You know who's right

The government is trying to phase out gasoline powered vehicles. It's trying to force all americans to purchase electric vehicles . If you think your home's electric bill is high now ? Wait until you start recharging your mandatory electric vehicle. What's that going to do to your local power grids ? What's going to happen to interstate travel (holiday travel) ? The amount of recharging stations are seriously lacking. Long charging times is another problem. A hybrid vehicle is the most practical (2 engines. 1 gas & 1 electric). I'm sure the government will levy taxes for electric car usage. Impact on the environment (disposal of used batterys).

This is why it's imperative to know what's going on. This administration and it's cohorts are part of "Progressive" movement. A degrowth movement. A rehashed marxist movement with a warm and fuzzy name.

Just a word of caution: I understand our passion for the issues of the day (I'm just as passionate if not more so!) but PLEASE . . . let's don't discuss politics on this site. Keep it focused on T-buckets and driving them. Whining about fuel prices helps us feel better, but let's leave our political leanings on the table while we're here. Agree???

Gas guzzler.jpg

Just a word of caution: I understand our passion for the issues of the day (I'm just as passionate if not more so!) but PLEASE . . . let's don't discuss politics on this site. Keep it focused on T-buckets and driving them. Whining about fuel prices helps us feel better, but let's leave our political leanings on the table while we're here. Agree???

View attachment 22625

Well said Spanky. Thank you :)

Three Thoughts:

1-The run up in gas prices is to make it easier to justify green energy projects. Green energy does not make sense until gas is about $7.50 per gallon. A prior occupant of the White House tried to get it to $7.50 but failed. He is trying it again, via proxy!!!

2-I keep hearing that our electrical infrastructure will only support 2 electric cars per neighborhood. There does not appear to be any work going on in this area.

3-We know that many electric cars have exploded while being charged and have burned down homes. I keep hearing that Teslas are now exploding on the highway, but there has been no mention of this from the state controlled media, as it does not fit their narrative!

Fuel price increase has certainly affected my traveling. Cost of fuel over double what it was 15 months ago, not to mention the associated cost increase of everything else that is trucked to the stores. Let's Go Brandon!

I just paid $5.40 / gal for diesel in Tucson.

Fuel is currently 2.06c/Litre where I am (Sth Australia) 4.5L/Imp Gal, (slightly less in a USA Gal) 2.06 x .7 (exchange rate) = $1.42L/US x4.5 = $6.39 Gal/US or thereabouts.

When I was a kid in the early/ mid 60’s, I worked at a gas station. Gas was around .29/ gallon. I remember it sometimes going as low as .23/ gallon. My friendes would stop for gas and ask for fifty cents worth. Who would have thought that it would here increased almost 20 times those prices!!

Back it school, in the early 60's, I worked in gas stations and sold gas for .17 cents a gal and we would wash all the windows, check the oil, check the tires and hand them a glass and ask them to come back.....Hell I washed 10 cars a day for .75 an hour........the wash job was only 1.00 dollar per car....boy those were the days..........

Back it school, in the early 60's, I worked in gas stations and sold gas for .17 cents a gal and we would wash all the windows, check the oil, check the tires and hand them a glass and ask them to come back.....Hell I washed 10 cars a day for .75 an hour........the wash job was only 1.00 dollar per car....boy those were the days..........

My dad owned gas stations and repair shops. We sold gas for 15/16 cents a gallon and I loved washing the windshilds of the Ladies who came by in their faded gotten gowns and little if sometimes nothing else.

We were the only ones selling gas when the power went out as I powered the pump with my bicycle and a long belt for a combine on an extra rim with no tire. Can't do that today with those new electric pumps with no pullys.

I miss the simpler days-- hard work but satisfying.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back