Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel pumps and alcohol laced gasoline

Rip VW

Ok so I thought I had this fuel system designed! My tank and regulator should be here tomorrow, and I am still on the fence as to a fuel pump. I had thought about the Holley Red but as was pointed out to me it was underrated for my use. so I look at the Holley Blue and was almost ready to select that one when I read this in the specifications on the Holley Blue.
  • "Not compatible with alcohol or methanol fuels" I can understand pure methanol but what about our alcohol laced fuel we buy every day at the pump? I am concerned about premature pump failure especially when the pump says NOT to be used with alcohol. I am hoping to find a compatible pump around the same price but so far nothing stands out.
  • So anyone run any of our blended fuel through a pump for any long-term success? Or maybe you run a different pump, speak up and let's see what the consensus is when it comes to fuel pumps that are going to be pumping our favorite gasohol.

I had the marine version in my boat and the ethanol from the gas station pump gas, not marina, destroyed it. Three hundred dollar pump that had less than eight hours run time. The pump was so full of corrosion it looked like something found at the bottom of a lake. The marine version is essentially the same pump with a vent.

I was afraid that is what will happen if I go with the blue. I have had too much bad luck with rubber and plastic and aluminum corrosion with this stuff we have to buy for our cars these days. I had to rebuild the carb and fuel pump on my tractor and lawn mower every year because the rubber rotted away. Yeah NOT GOOD!
OK everybody I am on the hunt for a low pressure (10 to 15 PSI) electric fuel pump and reasonably priced! Well back to the drawing board, I guess.
Thanks for the insight on the pump there, fletcherson .

My experience has been different, although I think our 91 octane is 100% gasoline. So that is what I buy most of the time, the exception would be when I'm out of town. After several years the motor did freeze up in the bushing closest to the wet chamber. I have the same pump again, but will disassemble every winter to clean and lube this bushing. It's not hard to do this so it should not be a problem.

Can you not buy 100% gas ?

Wow there is not much available in pumps these days that are compatible with alcohol. The Holley Black says it is good with methanol. but the Holley black is $250.00. I am growing weary searching for pumps. I find it hard to spend $250 on up on a pump. So far it is looking bleak. Man, I am going to have a fortune tied up in fuel system parts...Now if only my tank would get here, and I make a decision on a pump I would be ready to start building the fuel system...

Hey, I am still open to pump suggestions so write a note and tell me what you're running.

There are low tech pumps out there. It depends on your gpm requirements. If a high performance pump is not required, there are budget pumps available and if they fail, you aren’t out a bunch of green. If you choose to drain the fuel and not let it store in the pump, etc, you probably won’t have the issue I had. I had let the boat sit for a year, full of fuel. I didn’t anticipate such issues. The new ethanol blended fuel is not our friend. I used to always store everything full of fuel to avoid condensation. That doesn’t apply with the new fuel. Also, an alternative could be as simple as using a fuel injected stock type pump with a adjustable regulator. It would require a return fuel line but would also aid in reducing vapor lock or fuel temperature issues. Just a thought.

Not sure if this would help but I've been using Sta-bil 360 in everything for a few years. I had problems in my small engines (mowers, blowers, weed wackers) on and off for years. Since I've been using it I haven't had any issues. Not sure how it would work in the hot rod but they say it's ok. (Gold Eagle the mfgr.) Just a thought and inexpensive too.

I had the marine version in my boat and the ethanol from the gas station pump gas, not marina, destroyed it. Three hundred dollar pump that had less than eight hours run time. The pump was so full of corrosion it looked like something found at the bottom of a lake. The marine version is essentially the same pump with a vent.
E85 and methanol rated pump $ 122.38 - Hardin Marine - Electric Fuel Pumps

Thanks for the info, guys, I had asked this question on another board and the general consensus was, "I am worrying too much about this ethanol thing" I disagree but what do I know? I was told that the pumps of today can all handle it!! I have to call BS on that as I have spent too much time over the last 5 to 10 years doing an annual carburetor, Fuel Pump, general fuel system repair and maintenance and I have seen it all from powder corrosion in aluminum and eaten rubber parts till they turn into globs of sticky goo!
I guess because I am a "Frugal" person I just want to make sure I don't get left on the side of the road from an expensive fuel pump all due to the #1 fuel system killer, ethanol! oh add defective pumps in general.

With all these suggestions I should be able to select a pump to fit my needs. I am searching and re-searching pumps and checking various sources, but it seems that when you're dealing with a major manufacture, they must have a fixed price policy for everyone that sells their product. the price variance isn't much between stocking and non-stocking vendors. Either way I can shift back to getting the tank mounts done as my new tank arrived today! I have a couple of weeks before I am running lines and will need the pump then for fit up. Oh, one last question, are there any pumps I should stay away from?
Thanks for the helpful stuff!!

Thanks for the info, guys, I had asked this question on another board and the general consensus was, "I am worrying too much about this ethanol thing" I disagree but what do I know? I was told that the pumps of today can all handle it!! I have to call BS on that as I have spent too much time over the last 5 to 10 years doing an annual carburetor, Fuel Pump, general fuel system repair and maintenance and I have seen it all from powder corrosion in aluminum and eaten rubber parts till they turn into globs of sticky goo!
I guess because I am a "Frugal" person I just want to make sure I don't get left on the side of the road from an expensive fuel pump all due to the #1 fuel system killer, ethanol! oh add defective pumps in general.

With all these suggestions I should be able to select a pump to fit my needs. I am searching and re-searching pumps and checking various sources, but it seems that when you're dealing with a major manufacture, they must have a fixed price policy for everyone that sells their product. the price variance isn't much between stocking and non-stocking vendors. Either way I can shift back to getting the tank mounts done as my new tank arrived today! I have a couple of weeks before I am running lines and will need the pump then for fit up. Oh, one last question, are there any pumps I should stay away from?
Thanks for the helpful stuff!!
I read something a few years back that the ethanol producers wanted to go to E-80 but the car manufacturers were screaming about the costs associated with keeping the fuel systems intact with that much Alcohol. Apparently E-85 does enough damage by itself. I'm looking at a rebuild kit for my antique 600 Holley so I don't have to rebuild it every 6 months. I was told to search it out or not whine about rebuilding every year. (Ethanol is also less fuel efficient than gasoline. A gallon of ethanol delivers one-third less energy per gallon than a gallon of gasoline, so that an 85-percent ethanol mixture is 30 percent less powerful than pure gasoline, Bell Performance says.) So I guess I'm burning 30% more fuel because it has ethanol...so much for gas mileage ehh.(Gas vs Ethanol: Which Is Better? A Look at the Pros and Cons) Have to cite my sources..

So I guess I'm burning 30% more fuel because it has ethanol...so much for gas mileage ehh.
Are you running E85 in your cars then ?

Are you running E85 in your cars then ?
Nope! I miswrote..I meant "they're" the folks using e-85 are using more gas. I use mid grade mostly. Seems to keep everything just a bit cleaner. If/ when I get my bucket done, I'll be using premium.

Most people like us use E85 for it's higher octane rating of 105-110 so our higher compression engines don't complain.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back