Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel tank for Fad

Well, Gerry, it wasn't in your profile, but the way you softly held that BFHammer and lovingly caress your tools would indicate that you are an old softy at heart (unlike,apparently, some others [perhaps of Scottish descent] who are animals AND brutes).

Now this is to everyone within the site, how do you treat your tools? Do you use screw drivers for chisels, torque wrenches for breaker bars, or when all else hasn't failed, hammered a socket on to a buggered nut (that you buggered) to try to get it off (not knowing it was a reverse thread nut/stud) and still had to torch said nut off, OR for the Englishmen among us, using a porta power to gently lift a 3.8 Jaguar cylinder head that had become firmly corroded to the studs (which in the end I cut the studs with a torch when the head wouldn't raise more than four inches off the block).

Are clean, neat, unmarred tools an extension of your work (and yourself) or are they just tools.

John, G'nite

John
Tools are like girls.
Theres some you cherish and theres some you dont. Like to try to keep things tidy if I can. Still have tools from my apprenticeship some 40 years ago, some of which I made
Gerry

My first set of tools were Craftsman that were purchased from the department store. During the period that I first worked as a mechanic (English cars) I used the boss's tools and slowly changed my personal tools over to Snap on. Then they were stolen in a break in and I was back to using the boss's tools. Started to rebuild my Snap On collection and was nicked again about four years later. When I started to work on Porsches I popped for a big red Snap On top box and started all over again. After twenty five years I still have the top box and most of my precision tools. Lost a lot of my ratchets, sockets, extensions, metric wrenches (?, why just those) and a hand carry Craftsman box my father gave me when I first started out (losing that hurt). That break in was five years ago. I have "lost" 2 1/2 sets of tools to thieves. I hate thieves.
My good tools are my Snap Ons. The tools I have for office maintenance, building maintenance, are neat & tidy but I don't consider them anything more than "just" tools. I'd like to build my Snap On set back up, but the prices are astounding these days.
My massage table I have had since I started doing body work, twenty years ago. My massage chair I have had for the last eleven years. Both are well kept.

I consider a man's tools an indication of who he is and how he conducts his business. Nothing more and nothing less.

John

I had a friend, I say had, because he is no more... He was a clean freak, and I do mean clean, everything, (He even washed his car everyday) I told him on several occasions that he should have been a pro janitor!! His shop looked neat as a pin, but he was not worth a crap at building anything that worked... :)

We have SO at work. these days most of their stuff is BluePoint and just as crappy as anything out there. You can not beat SO for sockets and spanners but as you say the prices are just out of this world. I know a few guys have gone away from SO saying they can buy 3 or 4 times for the price of 1 SO. So they but good, and replace more often. They say its cheaper than SO and no less effective.
Everything we have ordered from SO over the last 18 months has been on 6 week back order and that includes common sockets. I think they have pushed their rep just a little too far. My Opinion only not that of the froum.
Gerry

Craftsman's "LIFETIME WARRANTY" works for me!

We have SO at work. these days most of their stuff is BluePoint and just as crappy as anything out there. You can not beat SO for sockets and spanners but as you say the prices are just out of this world. I know a few guys have gone away from SO saying they can buy 3 or 4 times for the price of 1 SO. So they but good, and replace more often. They say its cheaper than SO and no less effective.
Everything we have ordered from SO over the last 18 months has been on 6 week back order and that includes common sockets. I think they have pushed their rep just a little too far. My Opinion only not that of the froum.
Gerry

I bought most of my tools used after the initial set. You name it and I proubably have it. Most of them have served me for over 40 years. I say g'mornin to them everytime I walk in to the shop. They are always bright and shinny.... lol

Ron

I have seen guys make soft jaws out of sheet of copper just hammered to fit. Works really well.

Back to the fuel tank.
Got the filler tube welded up and finished off. Toruble is the welding has tightened up the thread for the cap. So OLD trick of using valve grinding paste to give it some clearance. Takes time but works a treat.
So I did the internal welding of the sender boss and the filler neck. Also ran a bead between the base plate and the middle section of the tank. Got a bit of distortion but managed to get it back with some persuasion. Like with a hammer, dolly and a bit of time. Managed to get one side in place and tacked up but as you can imagine its not as easy as it looked on the drawing board. Took 3 1/2 hours to get this far and there is still a bunch of work to get the end stars sorted out.
Back to it agin next week.
neckfinished.jpg

tankweld1.jpg
tankweld2.jpg
tankweld3.jpg
tankweld4.jpg

tankweld5.jpg

Now that I have got this far its obvious that plating it is out of the question, its just not good enough to polish up and plate, so it will be painted, probably with a brass colored finish. If I did another one I now know what to do if I wanted to have it plated.... lots more works and lots more time, Oh and probably 15 years experience in a fabrication shop with a guys thats 60 years old and could make roadster fender in his lunch break. Must admit though I think it will look quite trick on the back of the yella fella

Gerry

Not sure. Its a lot of math to work out the vol of that baby. I will be running a second tank in the bottom rear corner of the body. Hope to get close to 7 (UK) gallons from both.
Gerry

Gerry,

you might want to concider powder coat instead of paint for the tank. paint and spilled fuel don't get along all that well, and the powder will also help fill the minor imperfections.

Russ

Russ
I wonder how much distortion would happen if this goes through the oven for powder coat? I seem to remember they heat to over 250 degrees. What do you think? I would hate to go for it and find all that work wrecked when I go to collect it.
Gerry

Russ
I wonder how much distortion would happen if this goes through the oven for powder coat? I seem to remember they heat to over 250 degrees. What do you think? I would hate to go for it and find all that work wrecked when I go to collect it.
Gerry

more than that. but with all the angles involved there you'll be able to drive a tank over that thing without warpage (IMHO). call the baking a "stress relief process to relax the molecular structure" :coffee:

Russ

Now thats just weird. I was thinking, after the first tack up that the tank could do with a slow even bake to stress relief it. So what temp does powder coat take it up to?
G

Gerry you are the ARIST!--do you thing. Temp 0 to 300 = your baby @ 160

Now thats just weird. I was thinking, after the first tack up that the tank could do with a slow even bake to stress relief it. So what temp does powder coat take it up to?
G

I'm no expert on powder coating, but isn't it a problem to get the powder to seek out those depressed areas of the star ends? Just asking...

Corley

G

I use 400*F for ~ 10 min

Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back