Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel tank for Fad

Yes the guys gave you the job.--I also love the old Dan Woods---body--very very nice find!!--and old roadster body, good for you,made in the US.of--A!! --hard to come buy.
zingy.gif

Body is UK origin and been modified (a little).
G

Spent yesterday and this am grinding the welds on the tank. This is only the first step so its a bit 'rough' at the moment. Going to leave the peaks till last so I can try and get them all the same.
Had a quick run over a couple of panels with 40 grit on my DA and they seem to look ok. Once its kinda right I will start on the hand blocking. The valley in the stars at each end are going to be a real challenge.
Capture2.jpg
Capture1.jpg
Capture.jpg

Gerry (aching hands and wrists)

Looks great What about 15 minutes of grinding?LOL I wonder if a small flapper wheel would work in the valleys of the star.

Heat the end of a 1/4" or 3/8' round double cut file and just turn it up a bit. Use the file flat for most of the work. If you get a high spot use the curved end. When you are happy with the joint use 90 or 120 grit D.A. paper on a semi hard sanding block. Then finish with 180 paper on your D.A.

Ron

Gerry,
Could you maybe polish out a few inches of weld so we can see how it's going to turn-out. Or are you going to just keep us in suspence for awhile......ruggs
Gerry,
I knew you would give in a show us, lookin good.........ruggs

A simple trick. If you use a small backing plate on a small grinder, you can cut a piece of the abrasive material or disk in a star shape where an inch of the star goes over the backing plate to get to hard areas and it works neat. I like the idea of you using the DA.

I do a lot of hand filing and my sons always call me a "neanderthal". But I learned to file from my grandfather and have always had good results with it.

Jim

Hi.
A few evenings with a grinder followed by a few hours filing, grinding, and DA'in and its starting to look like a tank.
My advise is if you ever want to do something like this allow for 5 times the amount of time you think its going to take. Only just started with the hand files. Everything so far has been done with 3'' rolocs and a die grinder. This is turning out to be a real time eater. Every time you think its right its not. Still Its what i wanted so I only have myself to blame. I know I'll love it when its finished.
So heres some up to date pics.
satwork4.jpg
satwork3.jpg
satwork2.jpg
satwork1.jpg
satwork.jpg

Gerry

Hands now VERY sore!!

Hi.
A few evenings with a grinder followed by a few hours filing, grinding, and DA'in and its starting to look like a tank.
My advise is if you ever want to do something like this allow for 5 times the amount of time you think its going to take. Only just started with the hand files. Everything so far has been done with 3'' rolocs and a die grinder. This is turning out to be a real time eater. Every time you think its right its not. Still Its what i wanted so I only have myself to blame. I know I'll love it when its finished.
So heres some up to date pics.
satwork4.jpg
satwork3.jpg
satwork2.jpg
satwork1.jpg
satwork.jpg

Gerry

Hands now VERY sore!!
Gerry i have 4 saw hourses identical to yours paint and all.I've tried to get a couple more the very same here in Mich and i'll be damned if i can find the exact ones.Where do i find them?in England man go figure.I meen mine are the exact same down to the yellow paint.Thats freaky.

They came from a local DIY store for around 40 bucks. Guess that with freight that would end up over 250 bucks.
What did you paint yella?
G

They came from a local DIY store for around 40 bucks. Guess that with freight that would end up over 250 bucks.
What did you paint yella?
G
I painted my Total Aniversary Body T 31/2 years ago the same yellow as yours.

A person of taste, elegance, class and individuality. What more can I say

Its a BRAVE color to choose
G

Naw
It should be on a hot rod. Academy's are not for me.It belongs on a car.
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back