Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel tank for Fad

Breath a sigh of relief Gerry. You could have made your tank from individual panels. LOL

Ron

That would make 55 panels... Ugghhhh
G

Could 'nt resist it. Had to try it on the back of the T.
firstfit2.jpg

firstfit1.jpg

Hand blocking now so a few hours work there
handblockin.jpg

Gerry

WOW! That tanks gonna look amazing! Forget the brass...you should to think about gold plating it!! :nod:

That is awesome now what are you going to do with the tail lights.LED's in the lower control arms?

LEDs in the body. Going to run 3 lines of them from the swage (vertical) and following the top edge of the body, outwards. Hope this will kinda hide them a bit. May even overpaint the bit that shows with a light coat of candy yellow.
Gerry

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Hope its as good when its finally finished and painted.
G

So Gerry...

I thought it was winter in England?

I see grass in your pix.

Do you have one of those heated lawns?

I wish I had a heated driveway. To remove snow from my driveway, I use the same equipment the City of Denver uses.... the Sun.

Buddy, that tank is a work of art. It's a good thing you're installing it on that yellow work of art.

Is it true? Cost to the tenth power and time to the twentieth power?

Yep. Thats about right. If time was money i could never afford this thing.
Another weekend of filing, blocking and getting dirty. I have one panel thats in bad shape. Probably need to build up a couple of flat spots and start over on that one.
Keeps me off the streets though.

Its spring here 'almost' A heated garage would be nice let alone a heated drive way, but its an idea!!!!

Gerry

Still working the tank with files, blocks and fingers. Got a couple of low spots (hilighted in red). Not sure if I can get these out without more welding.
Oh well.

lowspots.jpg

Gerry

Nice job but it never fails they are on the top side. I wonder if you could fill with solder or lead like the old boys did it if it is going to be painted?

Putz
If only i could. With powder coating being the way i want to go, lead cant take the temperature. If its all gets too much then I will lead it and paint it in a candy gold. Luckily the front upper panels came out great. Its the back upper ones that are giving me grief. Even the underside ones came out good. Had to happen, I suppose.
Gerry

Nope dont know any of those numbers.

Do you mean what we call brazing? Melt a brass rod and flow it over the areas that are low. If so I think that the heat from a torch will defiantly distort the surrounding area. Also true for silver soldering. This kinda sheet work does not take kindly to localised heat from a torch even to light straw color.

G

There are some filler solutions that can be used before the powder coating such as Lab Metal. Gerry and I have discussed this a bit in PM's, but it pretty much needs to be done after he's worked it the best he can.

Hi Ben

Been trying to find LabMateal in the small quantities I need. The lowest cost I can find for some is 65 bucks and thats too much. I would rather weld and file. The guy I have made contact with for powder coating sent this to me via email

if its ok with you let me help with this inc sanding and prep before paint , no charge just love a challenge and only except 100% when it comes to quality
Daz

I think he sounds like a good person to know

G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back