Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel Tank question

GT63

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've seen alot of different fuel tanks and was wondering, is it better to have the fuel tank outlet in the bottom of the tank or in the top of the tank with an internal pickup? Does it depend on if your running a manual pump or an electric pump?

If you built your tank, did you put a baffle in it to reduce slosh?

If you have an electric pump, is it external or internal to the tank?

Which tank style do you believe is the safest for a T-bucket?

All experiencesopinions are welcome :dummy:

I have a Spirit build with a tank from RPM. It's a steel12 gal. with no baffles and a bottom outlet. Haven't had any real experience with it yet, but it sits on top of the frame and I think it will do just fine.

There is some concern that a bottom line connection could come off and cause a problem. Mine have always been on the bottom and never had a problem. If you make your tank I always make the threaded bung stand proud of the bottom of the tank bout 1/8 inch to maybe help prevent "stuff" from geting to the pump. I also use a filter before and after the pump.

My fuel pump is an external electric mounted at the tank. Most (not all) internal pumps will have the higher pressure required for fuel injection and will need a return line.

Baffles "we don't need no stinkin baffles". Try to find a stock tank with baffles, if Detriot in all their wisdom dosen't see the need for them why should we?

Saftey is always the final word: but the truth of the mater is if you get in a bad place there is not alot to protect the tank. Build or have built a solid tank and mount is well and you should be fine.

I used to have them all custom built, all fittings are to the top, if ever a leak, it will not drain or leak out, maybe a seep at most at the top, that is the safest, I believe it is the law on every boat tank?? I have a mfg. steel, (Alum. coated), 12 Gal tank, all top fittings, it also has 2 fuel gages, well a sight gage at the top of the tank and an elict. sender at tank for a dash gage.. many years in so far, works great. I will ck on name/brand and post it later..fit the bed just right... room left over for the Radiator overflow tank- it is Battery sized 7x10...

GT63,

From a safety stand point I prefer the fuel outlet bung to be on top of the tank. In the event that you develop a line leak somewhere downstream of the tank you won't have fuel running out on the ground. If you don't like the looks of the top mounted bung you can put the bung on the bottom. Then bend a U shaped internal hard line that feeds the bung and picks up fuel from the tank bottom. Be sure to weld a lite gage internal bracket or brace to the inside of the tank and attach the U line to that. You don't want to have vibration cracks inside the tank.

I also like an external manual shut off valve hidden somewhere in the systems. It is a good saftey factor in the even you were to ever have an engine fire and it makes a little bit harder for your neighbors kid to take it for a joy ride. Again, these are just my opinions and we all know about opinions. Think Smart, Think Safe.

George

My vote would have to be for a top mounted pickup. I weld an aluminum tube to the fitting that has a 45 slash cut and stands about 3/8" above the tank bottom. Acts as kind of a reserve and leaves the junk on the bottom. No baffles for me.

FuelTank3002.jpg

fluidfloyd said:

From a safety stand point I prefer the fuel outlet bung to be on top of the tank. In the event that you develop a line leak somewhere downstream of the tank you won't have fuel running out on the ground...

I am not so sure about this part. If the line is full of fuel, and a leak devoloped downstream, would it siphon the fuel out ?

tank air vent .. the last one I did was top for all the hardware and I brought a vent line up, sideways, down . and across the bottom. the idea is if you get upside down it won't drain out the vent. or you could get a vent one way valve out of a modern tank.

I just installed my tank, the feed line is on the side about an inch above the bottom. I thought about a shut of valve but had no room. I put 5 gallons in and checked everything no problems, about an hour later I came out to find a large spill on the garage floor. My braided line from the tank to the pump had a cracked fitting. Problem I could not stop the 5 gallons of fuel from coming out if I removed the line:mad:. I ended up disconnecting the engine feed line and put it in a gas can and turned the pump on till it was drained.
Moral of the story if you have the outlet on the bottom or side, install some kind of shut off. Good luck

fluidfloyd said:
GT63,

From a safety stand point I prefer the fuel outlet bung to be on top of the tank. In the event that you develop a line leak somewhere downstream of the tank you won't have fuel running out on the ground. If you don't like the looks of the top mounted bung you can put the bung on the bottom. Then bend a U shaped internal hard line that feeds the bung and picks up fuel from the tank bottom. Be sure to weld a lite gage internal bracket or brace to the inside of the tank and attach the U line to that. You don't want to have vibration cracks inside the tank.

I also like an external manual shut off valve hidden somewhere in the systems. It is a good saftey factor in the even you were to ever have an engine fire and it makes a little bit harder for your neighbors kid to take it for a joy ride. Again, these are just my opinions and we all know about opinions. Think Smart, Think Safe.

George
If the line gets a leak in it anywhere away from the tank, it will siphon all the fuel out of the tank, the top fittings only keep that fitting from leaking, other than what may be in the hose...

Every stock tank Ive seen has baffles in it. I remember seeing them when i changed those problematic internal fuel pumps on newer vehicles. I dont have baffles in my truck's fuel cell. i dont think they are necessary either. I also prefer a fuel pump outside of the tank. I like to run a mecanical fuel pump on the block. Every electric pump ive seen failed on my friends cars. Just my opinion.

Here is the exact size tank as mine, These are a new design and material...Eastern Marine Outlet - MOELLER Boat Fuel Tanks

Moeller 13 Gal. Below Deck Fuel Tank, #032513
Stock# 1582017
Moeller below deck fuel tanks are constructed from cross-linked polyethylene and are ideal for gasoline or diesel. Model # 032513
Size: 32.00" L x 10.19" W x 10.19" H $139.00 and all top fittings... Perfect for T Bucket short beds... Just thought I would look that up... as they are not making the Aluimized steel tanks any more, that i can find... But these are the very same size..

Ted,

I'm not sure I would agree on this. If the tank has a big vent then it might be able to siphon fuel. Most OEM type gas caps don't allow but a minimum of pressure relief. I think that the fuel column weight of a vertical internal line will overcome the siphoning action and only allow what's in the line to drain. My truck has dual side tanks and I have had to pull lines on the road due to selector valve problems and it never has lost fuel. I will look into this further as now I want to know for sure. I would welcome any input from others on this subject.

George

fluidfloyd said:
Ted,

I'm not sure I would agree on this. If the tank has a big vent then it might be able to siphon fuel. Most OEM type gas caps don't allow but a minimum of pressure relief. I think that the fuel column weight of a vertical internal line will overcome the siphoning action and only allow what's in the line to drain. My truck has dual side tanks and I have had to pull lines on the road due to selector valve problems and it never has lost fuel.

the tanks are much lower than your engine, so it should not have a siphon problem, it only does that when the tank is higher than the leak.

I just purchased a "T-Bucket Aluminum Fuel Tank, 14 Gallon Capacity
Universal Fit, Custom Replacement Fuel Tank Style, Carbureted Fuel System Type, Aluminum"
from Speedway Motors, I have no idea what to do next. I thought it would at least come with instruction's regarding what fittings are which, what size of vent to use and generally a fuel system guide for installation. Does anyone have a source I can get showing a drawing of how/what component's needed to install this tank? Hold time to tech services is up to three hours at Speedway ...

Maybe if you proposed a configuration even if it's not completely right, you would get more
help and suggestions for optional configurations.

If you are not familiar with AN (Army, Navy) fittings and the NPT (National Pipe Thread) do
a little research. Enough to become familiar with the terms.

You will also need to know what the other end of the system looks like at the carb/EFI.
What size are those fittings ?
A link to your gas tank with the specs would also be nice.
What kind of HP are you trying to feed.

This thread looks like it might be helpful.
Pleass critique my planned fuel sysytem

Let us know and we will be glad to help !

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back