Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Full manuall trans

409T

Staff member
I'm going to buy a full manual 700R4 and I can't decide whether or not to include manual braking. Anyone have any experience / thoughts?

When you say 'full manual' do you mean it has a manual valve body that will only change when you shift? Is it a reverse pattern version? Has the trans been upgraded as well, or is it just standard with this addition, and if so, why? If you want a manual trans then why go for a 700R4 instead of a 4/5/6 on the floor?

Have to say full manual VB's on the street are a pain in the ass. No real point in having them unless you are going on the strip or want to do the kids thing of launching off a set of traffic lights.

When you say 'full manual' do you mean it has a manual valve body that will only change when you shift? Is it a reverse pattern version? Has the trans been upgraded as well, or is it just standard with this addition, and if so, why? If you want a manual trans then why go for a 700R4 instead of a 4/5/6 on the floor?

Have to say full manual VB's on the street are a pain in the ass. No real point in having them unless you are going on the strip or want to do the kids thing of launching off a set of traffic lights.
Yes, it will only change gears when you shift and is reverse pattern. The trans is made for this, not simply a valve body change in an old transmission. I used to prefer a manual transmission, but now the traffic is so bad that a person would spend more time with the clutch depressed than released.

Yes, it will only change gears when you shift and is reverse pattern. The trans is made for this, not simply a valve body change in an old transmission. I used to prefer a manual transmission, but now the traffic is so bad that a person would spend more time with the clutch depressed than released.
I hear you. I always prefer a manual, but now, even in my trucks, it gets tiresome. Having a broken, beat up body doesn’t help much either. Now, how stout are the shift points in this trans that you are considering? How much dialing in can you do without laying under it with fluid running down your arms and into your pits? Lol. It would be nice to drive something light weight with one in it to get a feel for what to expect. My limited experience with manual valve bodies are from cars built to go fast and hard, not very fun to just drive, but again, they were purpose built. Any thought to a purpose built auto with a dual gate shifter or similar? The new electric controlled units are programmable from the seat. Maybe try to get some easy cruising and some attitude at the strip? Just a thought.

Go for the manual shift, with no braking. Lots of fun to drive. That is what I have in my blown silver t bucket. I used a turbo 400.
That's the way I was leaning so thanks Ron. You mentioned a blower on your bucket, my new BDS 671 just arrived Friday.

I hear you. I always prefer a manual, but now, even in my trucks, it gets tiresome. Having a broken, beat up body doesn’t help much either. Now, how stout are the shift points in this trans that you are considering? How much dialing in can you do without laying under it with fluid running down your arms and into your pits?
I'll have to do a little more research to answer about shift points, I think only time will tell as to how much fluid I bathe in. We went to northern California this past weekend. At one point going through west Los Angeles we drove for 2 1/2 hours to cover maybe 25 miles. Go forward one car length, come to a complete stop and wait, repeat hundreds of times. I was very glad I didn't have a clutch.

I'll have to do a little more research to answer about shift points, I think only time will tell as to how much fluid I bathe in. We went to northern California this past weekend. At one point going through west Los Angeles we drove for 2 1/2 hours to cover maybe 25 miles. Go forward one car length, come to a complete stop and wait, repeat hundreds of times. I was very glad I didn't have a clutch.
I’m becoming anti social with age. Crowds, lines, traffic brings out the worst, it seems. I miss being able to just go for a pleasant drive with no texting, road rage, red lights, round about, etc... sitting in traffic is no fun at all.

I ran full manual valve bodied powerglides (one with a linelock and the second one with both transbrake and with linelock) on the street behind blown BBCs (454 to start with then upgraded to 540). It was just fine on the street, so if you want to row gears without the hassle of a clutch, its a very sound option for you.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back