Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

GAB's bandsaw

GAB

Speaking of saws, here is one that I built about 25 years ago that still serves me well. It's a 24" throat model that has 3 speeds. The construction is pretty simple. The worst part of the build is the sheet metal covering. That could be made out of fiberglass pretty easily and would work just as well as it's only purpose is to keep you away from the blade.

Bandsaw-2.jpg

Re: Windshield Glass

Cool bandsaw.

George, a couple questions about your saw if you don't mind.

Are those uratane castors? Do they have bushings or bearings? Is there a groove for the blade? The one on the bottom right is the take-up right? What did you use for the gearing, just the pulleys?

Thanks for your time George.

Ron

Ron,

Yes, those are urethane caster wheels and they have ball bearings. No, there is not a groove for the blade, it rides on the crown of the wheel. The wheel on the upper right is what tensions the blade. The upper left and the lower right wheels are the same mounting and control the tracking. The lower left hand wheel is the driver. There are two 3 step pulleys for the different blade speeds and a 1-1/2" to a 10" pulley combo that drives the 6" wheels. Those wheels kill a whole bunch of blade speed when in the lowest speed drive train.

The frame is pretty simple. The upper part is all 1-1/2" square tube and is in a flat plane. The base is 1-1/2" x 3" rectangular tube and the table arms are 1-1/4" square tubes. Here is the base frame:

BandSawFrameAssembly.jpg

The tracking wheels mounting is pretty simple also:

TrackingWheelAdjusters-2.jpg

This is how the tension wheel works:

BladeTensionerAssembly.jpg

Here are the blade guides:

BladeGuides.jpg

It is a fun project and produces a very serviceable machine. :rolleyes:

(I think that I should not have posted this in this thread. Probably needs to be moved...Sorry!)

Thanks so much George for this post. I just bought a second saw like the one I already have. From your drawings it look as though i can use the motor, pulleys, adjusters and guides to build one simular to yours. I most often buy blade stock off e-bay for a fraction of the cost from DuAll.

Thanks again, Ron

George I put this here so it doesn't get lost. (Ron's idea)

Very nice saw. :cool:

George I put this here so it doesn't get lost. (Ron's idea)

Very nice saw. :cool:

Ron,

Yes, those are urethane caster wheels and they have ball bearings. No, there is not a groove for the blade, it rides on the crown of the wheel. The wheel on the upper right is what tensions the blade. The upper left and the lower right wheels are the same mounting and control the tracking. The lower left hand wheel is the driver. There are two 3 step pulleys for the different blade speeds and a 1-1/2" to a 10" pulley combo that drives the 6" wheels. Those wheels kill a whole bunch of blade speed when in the lowest speed drive train.

The frame is pretty simple. The upper part is all 1-1/2" square tube and is in a flat plane. The base is 1-1/2" x 3" rectangular tube and the table arms are 1-1/4" square tubes. Here is the base frame:

BandSawFrameAssembly.jpg

The tracking wheels mounting is pretty simple also:

TrackingWheelAdjusters-2.jpg

This is how the tension wheel works:

BladeTensionerAssembly.jpg

Here are the blade guides:

BladeGuides.jpg

It is a fun project and produces a very serviceable machine. :rolleyes:

(I think that I should not have posted this in this thread. Probably needs to be moved...Sorry!)
I am trying to get to the plans. Are they on your site.

Speaking of saws, here is one that I built about 25 years ago that still serves me well. It's a 24" throat model that has 3 speeds. The construction is pretty simple. The worst part of the build is the sheet metal covering. That could be made out of fiberglass pretty easily and would work just as well as it's only purpose is to keep you away from the blade.

Bandsaw-2.jpg

A good way to make this a vari-drive is to use the motor and controls off of an old tread mill. They can be found at garage/yard sales etc. dirt cheap. I'm very impressed with your design and craftsmanship, can't wait to start on my own. Thanks for the info.

If you can find a used horz./vert. saw you will have most of the parts you need to build a saw something like GAB's. Also if you build it with 3 wheels you can use the 64.5'' blades that are available at any farm or hardware store. Lowel's is the best at about $12 or Fleet Farm for about $8. It's possible to have 8" between the table and top wheel with 14" from the frame to the blade.

George's design is awesome but I'm cheap and have a small shop. I just picked up a saw off Craig's list for $50. Hope to get to this project this summer.

Ron

I've actually got a motor and the controls from a treadmill that I got for hauling off. But I haven't felt any need to use them on the bandsaw as it has 3 speeds that are derived by a couple of 3 step cone pulleys. The over center linkage on the motor mount makes changing speeds a very quick task.

If anyone cares to tackle this build, I would be more than happy to provide whatever assistance that I can.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back