Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gary49 building my first hot rod

Love your enthusiasm, Gary. A word of caution: once you begin to drive your bucket regularly, there is a natural sorting out process that takes place. Don't let these little 'bugs' discourage you. I remember getting all balled up when I couldn't get my steering wheel to self-center after going around corners; I thought I had got the ackerman all wrong or worse - turned out to be a simple adjustment of the front radius rods! Take your time, work out the kinks and enjoy your hot rod! It's a keeper.
Spanky, How did you fix the issue of the wheel not self centering? It looks like the top of my king pins need to rotate towards the rear of the car.
Gary

Gary, I have the hairpin style radius rods, and what I needed was an additional degree of 'layback' for my kingpins. (I think ideal is about 7 degrees.) So, by loosening the jam nuts and decreasing the length of the upper leg, and increasing the length of the lower leg, I was able to accomplish this. It didn't take much - we're talking half-a-turn increments here. Hope this helps.

9 front axleb.jpg

Yes, thanks Spanky. That's what I need to do too. It starts to re-center but needs a little help. :)

Sorry for the delay in responding Spanky. I haven't driven it. They said my title should come in the mail this week, then I can test drive it for real instead of just going around the block. I'll let you know how it goes.

I guess it posted after all. It didn't show up on Internet Explorer. It's there with Edge. ??? The wife loves riding in it but she sure chewed me out when she saw that video. LOL

Gary - Any success making this adjustment?
Hey Spanky,
I went across the Bayside Bridge yesterday. It crosses over Tampa Bay into Largo and until then 60 MPH was the fastest I went in my T. I eased it up to 70 with no issues so I went to 80 and it was solid with no trace of wobble even on the bouncy part. I must have done something right or got lucky, I'm not sure which. Anyhow I believe that's as fast as I would ever want to go in it.

Thank you. I wish the interior was done. That's the hard part for me. I'm waiting for winter here in Florida when it's cool enough in the garage to tackle that. LOL

I think I may sell my hot rod before I get myself in trouble. I made the Florida State trap shooting team again and I'm thinking about using the money for another new competition shotgun. The wife can have her garage spot back too. If I do decide to sell it I'll probably ask around $12,000.

Holy Cow! I had my T timed from 0-60 and it was 3.5 seconds in 250 feet. The wife said it blurred her vision. LOL That's with a stock LS motor. How in the world do you guys manage a high horsepower blown small block in one of these things? I have all I want, well maybe…..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back