Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas tank pick-up thoughts...

Lee_in_KC

I'm going to be having RPM make me a new tank to allow for more storage space in my bed, and I have a question about locating the pick-up. My current tank, which Ron made to my specs, has the pick-up on top. I figured having it on top was safer, in case the fuel line developed a leak or a fitting broke or something. But having it on top adds more overall height to the tank installation because I have a 90* fitting coming out of the bung, which itself stands almost an inch proud of the top surface of the tank. This wastes about 2" of additional capacity I could have (using a flush filler).

Fuelpick-up.jpg

So I'm thinking about going to a bottom pick-up, which could come out of the tank inside of the frame rail and not add any height to the installation. But I'm worried that having it on the bottom would allow a free flow of fuel if the line gets compromised.

What's the general feeling about bottom versus top for the pick-up?

I dont know of anything you could do if the line broke except have a shut off at the tank.

Lee_in_KC said:
I'm going to be having RPM make me a new tank to allow for more storage space in my bed, and I have a question about locating the pick-up. My current tank, which Ron made to my specs, has the pick-up on top. I figured having it on top was safer, in case the fuel line developed a leak or a fitting broke or something. But having it on top adds more overall height to the tank installation because I have a 90* fitting coming out of the bung, which itself stands almost an inch proud of the top surface of the tank. This wastes about 2" of additional capacity I could have (using a flush filler).

Fuelpick-up.jpg

So I'm thinking about going to a bottom pick-up, which could come out of the tank inside of the frame rail and not add any height to the installation. But I'm worried that having it on the bottom would allow a free flow of fuel if the line gets compromised.

What's the general feeling about bottom versus top for the pick-up?

Could you possibly compromise and have the pickup entrance on the side of the tank, way up close to the top?

No mater where you put it really a siphon effect will take over and drain any way on the bottom you have an option to shut it off.

Lee most all of the tanks I build have the fuel line coming out the bottom. All of the Spirit, Hermans, and Total tanks the fuel comes out the bottom. I have a 1/4 turn shut off valve in mine.
Let me know when you are ready to build that tank.

RPM I just saw the one you made for Yogi. It looks awesome. I too was worried about the bottom feed but with the cut off I believe it should be safe. Still in limbo about where I put it though. Either way great job.

Good advice to put a 1/4 turn shut off directly out of the tank and if its a PVC tank support the shutoff so it doesn't stress the tank threads. Give some thought to getting to the shutoff in a hurry - if you have a fire (god forbid) do you want to waste time trying to get to a shut off when you could be saving your sweetie with the extinguisher??. I run my shutoff out to a pull rod in the side of the pickup bed next to the battery switch, couple of seconds to knock off the fuel and battery.
And exercise the shutoff from time to time, they get stiff with age.

Lee, they have these little blue..................... :cry::lol:

My tank has the outlet on the bottom as that is the way Speedway makes their spun aluminum ones. No problem, but I will probably replace the hose every couple of years just to be safe,

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back