Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas Tank Sealant / Coating suggestions

Island Girl

Hey guys,

I'll be installing the fuel gage sender in my gas tank this weekend and was wondering what's the best way to clean out any light surface rust that may have developed, and do they still have the liquid coatings you swish around in the tank to coat all the steel surfaces and seal any chance of leaks in the seams.

Spirit made the tank and installed a filler, but not the sender, and it's painted to match the blue frame.

Thanks in advance,
Darlene

there is a product I used with great success when I was building custom motorcycles. I am not sure how much you would need to do a bucket tank but one kit would be more than enough to do a 5-6 gallon bike tank. It is called Kreem and you can get it at jpcycles.com

I have used Kreem before on cycle tanks. Some results were good, some not so good. If things go right and the coating stays stuck to the insides of the tank, it is great. If not you have a problem. I used all the methods like the instructions show. I would rather just clean the tank to remove what I can, and run good filters.

Last edited:
I've tried to order from Eastwood a couple times, and they give me astronomical costs for shipping.

They have a nifty little tungsten grinder for about $100, and they wanted over a$100 more to ship the thing, which should have been less than $20 via Priority Mail.

I also end up with at least a half dozen add emails a day from them, and started getting emails from other, (unwanted) places right after I started getting the Eastwood ones, so I'm not happy with them selling email lists.

Back to the subject at hand . . . . . I ended up ordering this kit from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kco-53000

I think its all about reading and following the instructions. I used a Por motorcycle kit for my tank after it was powder coated just to be sure. Only advice is dont get any of the sealer on your drive way or patio...

ppowder coat finish (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).jpg

I got the grinder from eBay for $35 and the Dremel at Lowe’s for $90.00 for the battery power and $70 for the corded model.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back